Diwali

Old November 7th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Diwali

Lesley Madigan wrote:

Although our local Co-Op has posters wishing a "Happy Diwali" it's been nothing more than a few fireworks in the distace around here (and some bargain prices on Indian sauces and naan bread etc)...

Thankfully Eid celebrations don't involve fireworks as that's the big festval around here

Is that because of a large Pakistani population where you live? I was
wondering why Diwali was such a big deal over there - I was under the
(apparently mistaken) impression that most of the Asians living in the
UK were from Pakistan and not India. Does that depend on which part of
the UK? Or are there large communities of both throughout the country?

At my workplace, for the holiday all the Hindus got together and brought
in (excellent) Indian food, and treated all of us for lunch! This is the
second year they did this. I'm starting to enjoy Diwali a lot.

--
Joyce

There is no alternative to being yourself.
Old November 8th 14, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

On 11/7/2014 5:16 PM, Bastette wrote:
Lesley Madigan wrote:

Although our local Co-Op has posters wishing a "Happy Diwali" it's been nothing more than a few fireworks in the distace around here (and some bargain prices on Indian sauces and naan bread etc)...

Thankfully Eid celebrations don't involve fireworks as that's the big festval around here

Is that because of a large Pakistani population where you live? I was
wondering why Diwali was such a big deal over there - I was under the
(apparently mistaken) impression that most of the Asians living in the
UK were from Pakistan and not India. Does that depend on which part of
the UK? Or are there large communities of both throughout the country?

At my workplace, for the holiday all the Hindus got together and brought
in (excellent) Indian food, and treated all of us for lunch! This is the
second year they did this. I'm starting to enjoy Diwali a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
Sounds like a good time, and for good reasons.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old November 8th 14, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Although our local Co-Op has posters wishing a "Happy Diwali"
it's been nothing more than a few fireworks in the distace
around here
Thankfully Eid celebrations don't involve fireworks as that's
the big festval around here

Is that because of a large Pakistani population where you live? I was
wondering why Diwali was such a big deal over there - I was under the
(apparently mistaken) impression that most of the Asians living in the
UK were from Pakistan and not India. Does that depend on which part of
the UK? Or are there large communities of both throughout the country?

There are about 3 times as many Muslims as Hindus in the UK. Both are
spread out fairly evenly, though there are lot of Gujarati Hindus in
one part of England (the Midlands somewhere). Southall (in West London)
is mostly Sikh.

One group we don't have a lot of, visibly, is Shia Muslims, though
they probably outnumber Sunnis in the subcontinent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...United_Kingdom

The largest religious grouping in the UK is None, though our places of
worship (None-eries) are rather discreet and low-profile, so nobody
realizes how many of us there are.

Old November 8th 14, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

Default Diwali and lack of religion in UK

On 11/7/2014 7:57 PM, Jack Campin wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...United_Kingdom

The largest religious grouping in the UK is None, though our places of
worship (None-eries) are rather discreet and low-profile, so nobody
realizes how many of us there are.

I've heard the church of Meown (not like meow, the cat
word, but pronounced me, like "me and him" and own like
"I own a car.") is growing rapidly in UK. I've talked
to Mormon Missionaries, and they often hear "I've got
meown religion".

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old November 8th 14, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Friday, November 7, 2014 2:16:18 PM UTC-8, Bastette wrote:

Is that because of a large Pakistani population where you live?

Largely Bengali and Bangladeshi and the vast majority are Muslim

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 9th 14, 09:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Lesley Madigan wrote:

On Friday, November 7, 2014 2:16:18 PM UTC-8, Bastette wrote:

Is that because of a large Pakistani population where you live?

Largely Bengali and Bangladeshi and the vast majority are Muslim

Oh, right (duh!).

--
Joyce

"Yes, but humans are more important than animals," said Brutha.
"This is a point of view often expressed by humans," said Om. (Small Gods)