shoulder cat

Old November 10th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default shoulder cat

Lately, Cinders has become quite fond of perching on my shoulders while I
sit at my desk. While I enjoy the companionship, the shoulder-perching
can become a bit painful at times, if I am having an arthritis flare-up
or if Cinders decides she needs to hang on (she still has the full
complement of claws). She has even been known to remain in place as I
walk around the house. Fortunately, she only weighs a little over 7
pounds, so it isn't as if I had a Maine coon cat on my shoulders. I
jokingly refer to the practice as "playing Long John Silver's parrot".

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old November 10th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

John F. Eldredge wrote:
Lately, Cinders has become quite fond of perching on my shoulders while I
sit at my desk. While I enjoy the companionship, the shoulder-perching
can become a bit painful at times, if I am having an arthritis flare-up
or if Cinders decides she needs to hang on (she still has the full
complement of claws). She has even been known to remain in place as I
walk around the house. Fortunately, she only weighs a little over 7
pounds, so it isn't as if I had a Maine coon cat on my shoulders. I
jokingly refer to the practice as "playing Long John Silver's parrot".

I remember someone on this group suggesting that such a combination of a
parrot and a cat should be called a carrot.

Both of mine like to ride on my shoulders. It's OK with Miranda, since
she only weighs 3.4 kilos, i.e. little more than your Cinders. But she
does tend to hold on with her claws, and she does tend to climb up along
my back. Ouch!

Caliban is a different kettle of fish. He weighs about 5 kilos (11 lbs),
and he's just too big to perch on my shoulder. This means that he will
usually gradually slide down into my arms. I don't know why he has to go
by way of my shoulders sometimes. I'm perfectly happy to have him climb
directly into my arms. It seems like he thinks he is being subtle when
he gets up on my shoulder first, then slides down. Yeah, very subtle. I
don't notice at all the big lump of fur climbing all over my body.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old November 10th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
Lately, Cinders has become quite fond of perching on my
shoulders while I
sit at my desk. ... Fortunately, she only weighs a little over
7
pounds, so it isn't as if I had a Maine coon cat on my
shoulders. ...

Tabs (RB), a polydactyl Maine Coon, used to drape himself around
my neck, across both shoulders, like a living fur stole :-) He
loved being able to see everything from hoomin height.

--
MatSav

Old November 10th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Nov 9, 9:38 pm, "John F. Eldredge" wrote:
Lately, Cinders has become quite fond of perching on my shoulders while I
sit at my desk. While I enjoy the companionship, the shoulder-perching
can become a bit painful at times, if I am having an arthritis flare-up

She is giving you catapuncture. Your shoulder will be all better
soone. :-,)

or if Cinders decides she needs to hang on (she still has the full
complement of claws). She has even been known to remain in place as I
walk around the house. Fortunately, she only weighs a little over 7
pounds, so it isn't as if I had a Maine coon cat on my shoulders. I
jokingly refer to the practice as "playing Long John Silver's parrot".

Wear an eye-patch and say "Argh, matey." Get with the program

--
Will in New Haven
Mousies acting cheeky like we weren't even there.

Old November 12th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

John F. Eldredge wrote:
Lately, Cinders has become quite fond of perching on my shoulders while I
sit at my desk. While I enjoy the companionship, the shoulder-perching
can become a bit painful at times, if I am having an arthritis flare-up
or if Cinders decides she needs to hang on (she still has the full
complement of claws). She has even been known to remain in place as I
walk around the house. Fortunately, she only weighs a little over 7
pounds, so it isn't as if I had a Maine coon cat on my shoulders. I
jokingly refer to the practice as "playing Long John Silver's parrot".

lol!

I have one of the Shoulder Cats, too. Arthur enjoys it *much* more than
I do. He's one of the cats that simply will *NOT* let me trim his
claws. So the ride for him is a lot more fun than it is for my shoulder.

OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH

Ginger-lyn
Old November 13th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:42:33 -0500, Ginger-lyn wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is one of my complaints about Cinder's shoulder-riding. The
main problem, however, is that both shoulders have been having arthritis
lately, and having a cat sitting on top of them doesn't help,
particularly when she wants to sit upright and thus concentrates her
weight onto a small area.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old November 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

John F. Eldredge wrote:
[...]

Oh, yeah, I know that one, too. I have fibromyalgia osteoporosis, you
name it. Which means osteoarthritis, and a specific thing I can't
remember in the right shoulder. Luckily, Arthur does prefer the left.

Oh, the things we do for our furry ones!

Ginger-lyn

Wrong shoulder, Pop Sam Cat anecdotes 4 March 19th 08 11:40 PM
i have a strange growth on my shoulder... Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 12 December 12th 06 11:29 AM
Urgent shoulder riding needs Dan M Cat anecdotes 8 March 25th 06 07:42 PM
Bubbel Shoulder Yowie Cat anecdotes 13 January 3rd 05 04:57 AM
Ghost at my shoulder Norm Cat anecdotes 42 June 5th 04 05:45 PM