What exactly is a high-quality diet?

Old February 28th 05, 04:06 PM
Theodore

Default What exactly is a high-quality diet?

Everything I've read about caring for healthy FeLV+ cats says to feed
them a "high quality diet" to help prolong their lives. Fair enough,
but none of the resources actually defines the term "high quality
diet"; my vet didn't even offer any specific advice.

I could just go and buy the most expensive cat food I can find, but of
course price is not always a good indicator of quality.

Has anybody here gotten solid and specific veterinary advice for
feeding healthy FeLV+ cats? What kind of ingredients to look for or to
avoid; what nutritional parameters?

Old February 28th 05, 05:21 PM
-L.

Theodore wrote:
Everything I've read about caring for healthy FeLV+ cats says to feed
them a "high quality diet" to help prolong their lives. Fair enough,
but none of the resources actually defines the term "high quality
diet"; my vet didn't even offer any specific advice.

"High quality" mainly means a diet wherein meat is the primary
ingredient. There are a lot of foods on the market that have corn or
other grain meals as their first ingredient. Avoid those.

-L.

Old February 28th 05, 05:25 PM
Mary

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Theodore wrote:
Everything I've read about caring for healthy FeLV+ cats says to feed
them a "high quality diet" to help prolong their lives. Fair enough,
but none of the resources actually defines the term "high quality
diet"; my vet didn't even offer any specific advice.

"High quality" mainly means a diet wherein meat is the primary
ingredient.

Upon what do you base this?

Old February 28th 05, 06:04 PM
PawsForThought

Fair enough,
but none of the resources actually defines the term "high quality
diet"; my vet didn't even offer any specific advice.

You might want to start with this very good article:

http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

Old February 28th 05, 07:12 PM
Theodore

PawsForThought wrote:
You might want to start with this very good article:

http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

I've already read that one. It doesn't really offer diet advice,
though; it says nothing about FeLV+ cats.

Old February 28th 05, 08:48 PM

You might find these resources helpful:
http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm
http://catnutrition.org/RecommendedResources.htm

If you are looking for a good high quality commercial food a few brands
that are excellent are Wellness, Innova, Wysong and Felidae. Ideally you
should be feeding your cats canned food. You can read more about that
he
http://catsincanada.com/articles/feeding.html

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 1st 05, 09:51 PM

Ok, but what can you do if your cat
refuses canned food. She'll eat it
sometimes, then suddenly won't touch the
canned (but'll still eat the dry). I've tried
switching brands, but to no avail. I just
can't tell from one day to the next if she'll
eat the canned or not...

If you are leaving dry food out all day that is part of the problem.
Part of successfully getting a cat to eat canned is to make sure they
have an appetite. A cat that is allowed to snack all day has no reason
to eat anyhing you offer. Feeding scheduled meals 12 hours apart with no
food left out inbetween is the best way to create that appetite. It is
also beneficial because you know exactly what your cat is eating and if
it stops eating because of an illness you will figure it out a lot
sooner.

Second, a lot of people make the mistake of feeding the same thing day
in and day out. This can make a cat picky to where it won't eat anything
else, or where it will get sick of what it is eating and refuse it.
Feeding a variety of flavors is much better. My cats never get the same
thing twice in a row. I have had many cats that were dry food junkies
when I rescued them and absolutely would not touch canned food, but with
time and patience I have been able to transition every single one of
them to canned.