Big softy

Old October 6th 04, 11:59 AM
Yowie

Default Big softy

I admit it, I hate spiders. Besides daddy-long-legs (ues, I know they aren't
exaactly spiers but they have 8 legs and look alot like them) which I can
stand as long as they stay up in the corner sof the bathroom eating
mosquitos, spiders tend to cop a rather quick shoe if they dare come into
the house or get too near me outside (but otherwise I'll leave outside
spiders alone)

There's a particular type of spider that seems to come in alot, and gets
regularly smooshed. Its dark brown with lighter brown markings, and the
female carries live young (coz when you smoosh those ones, the little ones
scatter all over the place).

I didn't know whether these types of spiders were dangeorous or not, so,
gathering up all my courage and fighting an almost overwhelming urge to
smmosh it, instead of killling the next spider of this type I saw, i managed
to catch it in a clean take-away plastic containder. I put the container in
th ebathtub so that the furris coudn't mess with it and tracked down an
exterminator that was willing to identify it for free.

The catch was, that I had to take the spider to the exterminator - if the
exterminator came here, that wold be a $70 call-out fee. No thanks.

But with Cary, it was often hard to get out of the house, the exterminator
wasn't necessarily at the office, and even if I did go out on necessary and
unavoidable errands, I'd forget to take the spider with me. After 5 days,
spidey was still in the plastic container, in the bathtub, andlooking very
sorry for itself for lack of oxygen, food and water.

The guilt was too much. In the end I had to summon up even more courage, and
let the poor thing go in the from garden (well away from the house).

Now I know that the life of one spider is no more and no less valuable than
another, and I've smooshed two more spiders of that type since I let the
captured spider go, indeed one of the latest smooshed ones could well be the
same one I let go the previous week, because I certainly couldn't tell. But
why did I feel I couldn't let the captured spider die, whilst still being
happy to smoosh other spiders with my shoe? very strange...

Yowie

---

Old October 6th 04, 01:57 PM
CatNipped

"Yowie" wrote in message

same one I let go the previous week, because I certainly couldn't tell.
But
why did I feel I couldn't let the captured spider die, whilst still being
happy to smoosh other spiders with my shoe? very strange...

Yowie

---

You'd bonded with that spider?? ; I don't kill spiders, I capture them and
let them go. The only things I kill (directly anyway, I kill a whole lot of
things indirectly by not being a vegan) are roaches, ants, and mosquitos.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 6th 04, 04:26 PM
TBird

Is it a little furry? And fairly large?

Almost sounds like a Wolf spider. They are harmless to people and love to
eat Miller moths and other spiders so I tolerate them. But mine never come
inside.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Wo...=Google+Search

They are pretty easy to catch, too.

TBird --- also hates spiders and has had close encounters with Brown
Recluses which were in fact white and really scarey looking

Old October 6th 04, 04:28 PM
TBird

I read more about it - sounds like you had a wolf spider.

TBird ---- pretty sure.

Old October 6th 04, 07:37 PM
Bev

Yowie wrote:

[...]

When we were house exchanging on the Gold Coast we saw some of the
biggest spiders we had ever seen. We also saw some when we exchanged in
your area. We didn't kill them although I couldn't help a bit of
shuddering. I think they were wolf spiders. My New Zealand friend
lived in Brisbane and came over to the coast to stay with us. She
lived with a fly spray in her hand and zapped every spider she saw.
"God I hate them," she remarked.

I reckon spiders have their place in the scheme of things. If I know
they're not poisonous I can live with them. I rescue Daddy Long Legs
and am inclined to move mother and babies from the nooks and crannies of
the back patio before hosing it down.

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

Old October 7th 04, 12:03 AM

Yowie wrote:

why did I feel I couldn't let the captured spider die, whilst still being
happy to smoosh other spiders with my shoe? very strange...

Smooshing is very fast, so as deaths go, it's not a terrible one for
a spider. Whereas slowly starving, dehydrating or suffocating is
much worse, I'm sure. I would have a hard time seeing that, as well,
and I've smooshed many bugs in my time.

Joyce