Update on my Mom 11/14/08 (OT)

Old November 14th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Update on my Mom 11/14/08 (OT)

I had a meeting this afternoon with the hospital social worker, the physical
therapist, the charge nurse and the occupational therapist to review her
progress and discuss my mother's "discharge plans." Yeah, look what
happened the last time you tried to discharge her. Heh.

It was supposed to be me and my mother meeting with them. Didn't work out
that way. I arrived early so I could visit with her before our meeting.
They'd gotten her back into her bed after the afternoon "group" therapy
session. She was completely unresponsive to me. She was extremely tired
(after doing nothing).

NOTE: I did make sure they took her off the Lortab. The charge nurse said
she didn't seem to need it anyway and hadn't had any sort of narcotic or
painkiller at all today.

Apparently yesterday she did okay in her morning (one on one) PT session but
her progress is markedly less than it was the day before or the day before
that. In yesterday's afternoon group session she acted like she didn't
care. (I'm pretty sure she doesn't.) She refused to go to this morning's
session at all. She was very uncommunicative with them today; didn't want
to talk to anyone. She did go to group today, albeit very reluctantly.
When the therapist tried to get her to join in Mom got agitated and tried to
slap her! Oh good lord.

They moved her to a different room last night. Jesus people, stop moving
her around! Don't you know you're simply contributing to her confusion?
Cut it out! It's not a trauma unit; her new room was identical to the one
she was already in. So why do the constant patient shuffle? I told them to
stop moving her around.

She's also stopped eating again. She eats a few bites of this and that but
now they have her on "calorie watch". If this keeps up I know what their
next suggestion will be: a gastric feeding tube. Absolutely not! She has a
Living Will and I'm not letting them stick a tube in her stomach. I went
through this with my father before he died, too. No way.

I called the hospital dietary department to order tomorrow's meals for her
when I got home. It just slipped my mind while I was there. Apparently she
didn't respond to any of the nurses who tried to get her to fill out a menu.
I tried to select items I know she'll eat at least a little of. But it's
not a hotel so the choices are limited and she's gotten very fussy about her
food in the last couple of months.

So, there's no actual discharge plan at this point. They want to gauge how
she does over the next few days then meet with me again.

The social worker asked me about my mother's "dementia" before she was
admitted. Heh, she didn't have a diagnosis of dementia. She was forgetful,
sure. Confused about things from time to time, sure. But she could count
backwards from 100 by 7's when her new doctor did that mental acuity exam
with her. Hell, I can't even count backwards from 100 by 7's LOL

They were trying to rule out pinprick strokes for her moderate confusion.
At no time did any doctor every say she had dementia. Now they're talking
like she's been this way all year. Uh, that would be a NO.

When she was admitted via the ER for tests on 10/29 she knew exactly where
she was and why she was there. She sent me home that day saying there was
no point in my sticking around. She called me that night when they got her
into a room. At home she'd joke around with me, using the baby monitors as
if she was a hotel guest ordering room service! She was alert and talkative
even though she didn't want to get out of bed. Today she appeared
practically catatonic. In other words, she was just fine for an inactive 82
year old woman before you people got your hands on her.

I'm not in a very good mood tonight. I don't know if I'll be able to bring
her home.

OB Cats: I'm nearly out of Persia's Hill's c/d formula. Oh, and that one
furry little toy mousie that didn't vanish under an immoveable piece of
furniture? It's still around Much the worse for wear, of course. It
makes an appearance a couple of times a day when Persia decides it's time to
try to really hurt it again.

Jill

Old November 15th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:37:48 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry things aren't going well for your mom. Have they checked
her for a UTI? They can cause DRASTIC changes in behaviour and
emotions in elderly people, which are immediately reversed if the
infection is treated.
Old November 15th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so sorry about your mother, Jill! I can see why you are so frustrated.

Joy

Old November 15th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

I'm sorry things aren't going well for your mom. Have they checked
her for a UTI? They can cause DRASTIC changes in behaviour and
emotions in elderly people, which are immediately reversed if the
infection is treated.

She doesn't have a UTI. And no way am I authorizing more medication for
her. She's old and tired. She isn't in pain. No more meds.

Jill

Old November 15th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jill - she may need an antidepressant at this point - I know that's what
helped my mom, too -- I'm so sorry for all you're having to deal with but it
sounds like you are doing the right things by being proactive with the staff
and not taking any guff from them.
Sending mega purrs for you and your mom.
Christine

Old November 15th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I can understand your frustration with the medical profession at this
point - I've felt a lot of that myself lately. Again, I think you need to
speak to a patient advocate about your mother's treatment - and if you don't
get any help or satisfaction from them I'd even consider talking to a
lawyer. She (and you) have the right to direct her medical treatment and
not be made to suffer incompetence!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 15th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I had a meeting this afternoon with the hospital social worker, the
physical therapist, the charge nurse and the occupational therapist
to review her progress and discuss my mother's "discharge plans." Yeah,
look what happened the last time you tried to discharge her. Heh. Jill

I can understand your frustration with the medical profession at this
point - I've felt a lot of that myself lately. Again, I think you
need to speak to a patient advocate about your mother's treatment -
and if you don't get any help or satisfaction from them I'd even
consider talking to a lawyer. She (and you) have the right to direct
her medical treatment and not be made to suffer incompetence!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I talked with her personal lawyer just to inquire... I'm not the litigious
sort. The number of malpractice suits that are successful are next to
nothing. Doesn't matter what you hear on television, it simply doesn't
happen. It's damn near impossible to prove they did anything wrong. I
don't care about that, anyway.

I have legal healthcare POA. It's on file with the court and they have a
copy of it; they have to abide by my wishes regarding her medical care. And
I'm not a shrinking violet when it comes to stuff like this.

Jill

Old November 15th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_5_] Bridget[_5_] is offline
Banned

I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. Dealing with all the
issues with my father was a nightmare, but nothing compared to this. As for
bringing your mother home, you can bring her home any time you want. You
have hospice set up and as long as she has a bed she can't climb out of -
which hospice will provide, it might be better for her and then you would be
able to feed her whatever you wanted and they could send out therapists if
it looked like that was appropriate for getting her mobile again, but it
seems that if you have the choice of watching her get well or die at home or
just die in the hospital, I would choose to bring her home. As medical POA
you have the right to make that decision. I would examine it right about
now.

Take good care of yourself and let the group know if there is anything we
can do for you.

Bridget

Old November 15th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Bridget wrote:
I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. Dealing with all
the issues with my father was a nightmare, but nothing compared to
this. As for bringing your mother home, you can bring her home any
time you want. You have hospice set up and as long as she has a bed
she can't climb out of - which hospice will provide

Problem with that is where to put a hospital-type bed. My parents were of
an old school in which they believed bedrooms had to be crammed full of
furniture. Why they needed two large dressers in each bedroom is beyond me.
There's no place to set up a hospital bed. The living room is very large
but sadly lacking in electrical outlets. (I'm probably too "new school" to
know if they still make hospital beds that aren't electrically powered. LOL)

better for her and then you would be able to feed her whatever you
wanted and they could send out therapists if it looked like that was
appropriate for getting her mobile again, but it seems that if you
have the choice of watching her get well or die at home or just die
in the hospital, I would choose to bring her home. As medical POA you
have the right to make that decision. I would examine it right about
now.

I took a copy of the healthcare POA and her living will over when she was
admitted for tests, simply because that's what her attorney told me to do if
she ever went into the hospital. Of course they've lost the copies. I saw
them in her room when she was on the 5th floor and then again on the 4th
floor. But they don't have any record of them since she broke her hip. Her
admission to the "Rehab" unit is considered separate so they didn't even get
a copy of her records from the other floors! Therefore, the POA is not in
her chart there and no doctor has signed off on it. So if she codes they
*will* recuscitate her and put her on a ventilator. This is absolutely not
what she wanted. And of course I can't lay my hands on my only other copy
of these documents. (It's hell living out of a suitcase.) They are on file
with the court but the courthouse is obviously closed on Saturday. I'm
guessing her lawyer doesn't work on Saturday either. Heh. It's gonna be a
great weekend.

Take good care of yourself and let the group know if there is
anything we can do for you.

Bridget

Thank you! I just need support and purrs at this point. Persia is sitting
on the lovely (heh) elephant chair right behind me purring up a storm and
occasionally looking out the back window at the geezers on golf carts.

Jill

Old November 15th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I know advice is cheap but, here goes. My MIL was bedridden for 16 years
from a stroke, cause isn't important in this discussion. At a point in the
last six months of her life she had to go to the hospital. In a months
time, I watched her go through what it seems your Mother is.

I finally got fed up and took her home. Within a week, she knew things
again, ate better and talked to friends on the phone. The room shuffle as
well as the constant stream of strangers just confused the hell our of her.

You will have help, if you take it, so, I would get her home and see if it
helps.

Take care of YOU at the same time. Her being away isn't giving you rest or
peace, that is obvious from your posts. Purrrs and Prayers to you all.