Onyx: The Morning Game

Old April 11th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Onyx: The Morning Game

see susan
getting ready for work
yet again

see kitty
glaring up from the bed
"how DARE you disturb my sleep"
yet again

see susan
pick out something to wear
and quietly put it on

see kitty
ears perk
and open one eye
to watch
as susan walks stealthily
to the dresser
and realize
she is getting
THE TOY
once again

Flying off the bed in double time, he lies in wait--anticipating with
great excitement what is to come.

Susan slowly withdraws the item from the drawer, wondering if perhaps
this time Onyx will stay asleep. Turning around, she realizes that yet
again there will be battle.

Sitting on the bed with silent resignation, she wonders, can she get her
foot into the stocking before kitty can grab it? Or will yet another
pair of nylons be ruined by little kitten claws . . . ?

see kitty
crouching
waiting
chin flat on the floor
paws on either side
wriggling ever so slightly

see susan
slowly draw a breath
and plunging
her foot into the stocking

see kitty
pouncing
at just the right time
quickly curling into a u-shape
around her foot
and hanging on for dear life
kitty loves this game most of all
happy, happy kitty

--

This morning ritual started when Onyx was just a tiny kitten. I shared
an apartment with two roommates and consequently he was confined to my

I got pretty good at getting them on quickly enough to prevent anything
more than him wrapping his entire body around one foot. His mitten-paws
allowed him to keep a solid hold on that foot while I pulled the
stocking onto the other foot. He did ruin a few pairs, but not very
many--he usually didn't get the claws out until it was too late.

Instead he had more fun pouncing on the stockings and on my foot, and
then going for a quick ride as I stood up from the bed and walked
towards the door.

--

Forever remembering Onyx, my friend
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999

--
-Susan

Copyright © 2006 Susan E. Zeigler
All Rights Reserved

Old April 12th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:20:38 -0500, Susan Zeigler

Forever remembering Onyx, my friend
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999

That is a great story and good prose. I enjoyed it very much. Onyx
must have been a love. But such a short life. So sad. Hugs,

--
CATherine
Old April 12th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Susan Zeigler wrote:
[...]

Great story, Susan. Great to see you back.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 12th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The Morning Game

Lovely poems and story.
Thanks for sharing.

Tweed

Old April 14th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-11, Susan Zeigler penned:

Forever remembering Onyx, my friend September 2, 1989 to April 11,
1999

Thank you for sharing this story.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully