PING: Monique

Old April 13th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default PING: Sherry

Karen wrote:
Hey, check this out:

http://www.oklahomafood.coop/piperma...ry/000217.html

That's interesting, and very annoying. He's absolutely right about two
things: You have to watch what the legislature sneaks through. That
bill was passed purely for the benefit of big business, NOT for food
safety for Oklahomans.
Second thing is, if you have ever eaten a "yard chicken", the meat
bears absolutely no resemblance to that putrid, disgusting, slimy,
stinky stuff Tyson passes off at the meat counter. Healthy yard-bird
meat isn't even close to the same color, or smell, or taste, as Tyson
chicken.
I quit buying meat-counter chicken ages ago. I also only buy free-range
eggs for DH. They're way better too, and keep fresh a lot longer.

Old April 13th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default PING: Monique

On 2006-04-13, penned:

I don't care anything about sugar or calories. I'm too thin already
and I always try to choose high-calorie stuff. The problem is, I am
on the heart-healthy diet, and if I stick to it, I can barely
maintain the weight I have. It's the fat that I have to avoid,
because of artery disease.

Interesting. I'm still surprised you would have to go with no fat, as
opposed to low fat.

Extremely low cholesterol has been proven to reverse CAD. (along with
other lifestyle stuff of course... I didn't suffer through three
surgeries so I could eat Ranch dressing. LOL.
"Low fat" is relative. Look at the label for "low fat" salad dressing.
Six to eight grams of fat per tablespoon...that's a lot of fat grams to
blow on salad dressing. If I'm going to ingest six fat grams, it's
gonna be on something I like a lot better than "no fat" vs. "low fat"
salad dressing. It's a balance, really.
But after going off high-fat food for nearly five years, it tastes
gross to me now anyway.

Sherry
but it didn't work for me in the long run. I don't think it was wise
for me to be putting in serious miles on the bicycle every day and
still eating a very fat-limited diet.

I can see how limiting protein would be very bad for you, but I don't
see the benefit of saturated fat in your diet. What is it?

Sherry

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

pictures:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca

Old April 13th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-13, penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Interesting. I'm still surprised you would have to go with no fat,
as opposed to low fat.

blow on salad dressing. If I'm going to ingest six fat grams, it's
gonna be on something I like a lot better than "no fat" vs. "low
fat" salad dressing. It's a balance, really.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

but it didn't work for me in the long run. I don't think it was
wise for me to be putting in serious miles on the bicycle every day
and still eating a very fat-limited diet.

I can see how limiting protein would be very bad for you, but I
don't see the benefit of saturated fat in your diet. What is it?

Well, I didn't say saturated fat! Fat is fuel, and I put myself on a
regimen of maybe 30g of fat a day, much less than was actually
recommended for even a lean diet. And on that I was doing several
hours of strenuous exercise every day.

Later I read some articles specifically talking about how endurance
athletes (not sure I fit into that category, exactly, but anyway)
performed better and had fewer illnesses and injuries in the long run
if they consumed more fat.

I dunno. Covert Bailey says that even athletes do well on low-fat
diets. I guess you can find someone to support just about anything.

Old April 13th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-13, mlbriggs penned:

Perhaps you should try a good soup (no cream) and see how that
works. MLB

Do you have a specific reason in mind that that would help? Maybe
easier to digest?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 13th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-13, Karen penned:
I tell you what, since I started avoiding almost anything that is
not organic I have seen a major improvement (also on Librax still).
I am also observing that the *combination* in which I eat is
important (I believe). but the biggest thing is I have not eaten
out at any restaurant except the organic deli and one greek
restaurant where I know everything is made from fresh food. It might
be worth investigating trying to stick to as unprocessed of food as
possible and don't let yourself get too far from a healthy snack.
Also, anything you eat that is acidic (even like an orange etc.)
make sure you have a nice soluble thing with it - even a half piece
of organic white bread. Just some thoughts (takes some planning but
does seem to make a diff).

Thanks, Karen!

As I understand it, everyone is different. I am 100% convinced that
stress is the determining factor for me. Food probably affects it,
but regardless of what I eat, it seems that my stomach will be upset
if I am stressed.

Hopefully I can get an appt with my doctor today and maybe we can rule
out/in an ulcer ...

Unfortunately, my lifestyle is closely tied to eating out, and I'm not
sure I can totally eliminate it. But it's worth trying to minimize if
it does make a difference.

As for acidic, I think that may be a problem when I drink decaf
coffee. I've stopped drinking the decaf at work, but maybe I need to
eliminate it totally. That would be awful =/

The xylitol was a horrible idea. It didn't make my stomach *hurt*, but
even one little packet in my drink caused my stomach to rumble
ominously and, er, well, the results just weren't pleasant. You were
right about that one. DH reported similar issues.

I feel fo ryou, Monique. When I'm stressed I get the most aweful stomach
cramps then really bad diarrhea too. I have to watch what I eat, as well.
Oddly, if I eat too much from the cabbage family, it sets of my cramps and
diarrhea. As do all non-naturally occuring sugars (ie, I can have sucrose,
fructose, glucose and galactose and lactose but thats about it). I also have
to watch by coffee intake, too much or too strong and I'm racing for the loo
soon afterwards. It didn't seem to be the caffeine, though, but rather,
something else in the cofee, as decaf can do the same thing, and I'm worse
if I have instant coffee than I am if I get a proper brew. Tea just makes me
pee alot, btu doesn't cause cramps.

Not coincidentally, I found really increasing my fibre intake and decreasing
my high-GI foods (like white bread, white rice, chips etc etc) and high-fat
foods (fries, pizza etc) and beiing careful with high protein foods (like
red meat, cheese - its OK to eat them providing I'm eating them with a good
amount of roughage) also helped. Having, erm, 'bulk' in the system seemed to
stop it from breaking down into liquid whenever I was stressing. Oh yeah,
and drink more water. It sounds counter intuitive, but bulky and well
hydrated colon contents are far more resistant to the vagueries of stress
induced cramps and diarrhea than hard, dry stools (coz the body has trouble
moving those along so tends to 'fluch' them out, rather than letting them
move along naturally).

And small meals often seems to work better than large meals with big spaces
of 'nothing' in between.

Make sure you walk every day. The act of walking also helps the various
muscles, tendons and other bits in our gut area push along the contents. Its
also good for you and releives stress :-). One thing I found with my job and
stress was that if the weather wasn't good enough to go outside and have a
quick walk and see grass & trees & sky etc etc, was to ignore the PC (which
is hard when one is addicted to RPCA....) and *paint*. I keep a stash of
water colour pencils in a draw, and colour in/paint line drawings i've found
on the 'net. I'm in no way an artist, but there is somethign about applying
bright colours (everything where I work is grey or some sort of dull muted
colour) and being creative about what colour to apply where that really
de-stressed me.

Hope you can find somethign that helps in all that.

Yowie

Old April 13th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-13, Yowie penned:
Hope you can find somethign that helps in all that.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions, Yowie! My dr. also
mentioned trying a higher-fiber diet, saying that it might help or
might make it worse, but at least I could try it.

I have gotten to the point where I'm not really working out at all,
which is horrible for so many parts of me. Last weekend I did finally
get on my mountain bike, both days. I'm hoping to do a lot of that
this weekend, too.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 14th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Monique

Karen wrote:
I tell you what, since I started avoiding almost anything that is not
organic I have seen a major improvement (also on Librax still).

(snippage)

I saw Paul Newman on The Tonight Show last week. His daughter (Lisa?)
introduced an organic line of foods as a subsidiary off of his Newman's Own
food line (proceeds of which go to various charities). His daughter
introduced organic dog food. Jay Leno made him a bet of $10 that Paul
Newman wouldn't eat the organic dog food. Paul hesitated a moment, then
grabbed the open can (chicken and brown rice, I believe it was) and took a
spoonful and ate it. He actually looked like he liked it. As they were
cutting to a commercial break, he took another spoonful and was eating it.

I don't know if this proves anything other than Paul Newman supports his
daughters efforts to offer organic dog food, but pulleeeze... I don't want
to see someone eating canned dog food on television! Reminds me of Johnny
Carson begging for Alpo when Ed McMahon used to do live commercials for that
product. I fed my dog Alpo until he was elderly and on prescription food
but I wouldn't have eaten it. Would you (the collective you) eat Fancy
Feast? That stuff is often more expensive than a can of jack mackerel or
salmon when it comes to the weight of the cans. Come on, folks.

I have nothing against organic but I'm not going to avoid foodstuffs that
don't use pesticides. I use pesticides in my house when those damned
Palmetto bugs and Wolf crickets wander in from outside. I just make sure it
doesn't affect me and my cats or their food supply.

Jill

Old April 14th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-13, mlbriggs penned:

Perhaps you should try a good soup (no cream) and see how that
works. MLB

Do you have a specific reason in mind that that would help? Maybe
easier to digest?

That is it!
When I have problems, soup seems to be easier to digest. MLB
Old April 14th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-13, Yowie penned:
Hope you can find somethign that helps in all that.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions, Yowie! My dr. also
mentioned trying a higher-fiber diet, saying that it might help or
might make it worse, but at least I could try it.

I have gotten to the point where I'm not really working out at all,
which is horrible for so many parts of me. Last weekend I did finally
get on my mountain bike, both days. I'm hoping to do a lot of that
this weekend, too.

Yeah, increasing my fiber has really helped. You know, I discovered I
was eating a LOT of insoluble fiber and not much soluble fiber. So,
when I was sickest, I increased the soluble fiber first and then after
a week started adding the roughage of insoluble fiber back in. This
seems to be working way better. It has taught me I should probably eat
some of those things I was not like bread, pasts, rice. Yams are good
too. Benefiber helped as it is completely soluble and has no taste
(yeah!) so you can really mix it in with anything.

Old April 14th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
[...]

Charlie came home with several different types of treats for the dog last
week. He said the guy running the cash register was snacking on some of
them. I must admit they smell better than what we used to give our dog when
I was a kid.

And my daughter ate plenty of Purina Dog Chow when she was a baby. Didn't
seem to do any harm.

Jo

Ping Monique CatNipped Cat anecdotes 1 July 23rd 05 10:40 PM
Ping Monique CatNipped Cat anecdotes 7 July 22nd 05 03:22 PM
[OT] Ping Monique - Thanks! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 0 July 13th 05 02:10 AM
Ping: Monique and others interested in my health CATherine Cat anecdotes 23 March 14th 05 09:27 PM
Ping & Weeble visit TED (long) Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 22 November 11th 04 01:35 PM