Cat Emergency

Old December 23rd 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catprotector

Default Cat Emergency

I talked with the vet today and they said Icarus pulled out his
catheter and got plugged up again so the messy job continues.
Apparently, he's giving the vet some problems but he is fighter and
doesn't like to give anyone an inch. I feel so bad because he's having
to spend his birthday at the vet this has got to be sad and scary for
him because he's in a strange place. I'm told there's a possibility I
might get to visit him this evening.

Isis and Jade are sticking pretty close and comforting me. Isis laid
down next to me last night and I 'm sure that both she and Jade miss
their brother. I was told he'd have to be there for a few days after
this latest incident. He'll also have to be on steroids for about a
week to reduce the inflammation. The vet says my job is going to be a
tough one when he gets home because I have to make sure he gets each
and every pill.

I was really religious in giving him his antibiotics before he got
plugged up but when he did, it was really unexpected. This apparently
sometimes happens even after a cat has been on what seemed all the
right diets and all the necessary treatments. I was also told that
some people elect to have their cats euthanized because they get
plugged up multiple times and the expense is too much. I can't imagine
doing that to Icarus.
Old December 23rd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"catprotector" wrote

I can't imagine
doing that to Icarus.

Of course you can't, you're a loving cat dad. I hope he will be
okay.

Old December 24th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catprotector

I was allowed to visit Icarus at the vet tonight and brought him a
birthday card. He refused to eat so I had to put some canned food on
my finger and pretty much shove it in his mouth. He's being forced to
wear an Elizabethan collar which is also tied around because he
managed to get it off earlier and pull out the catheter which is how
he got plugged up the second time. More or less he's making it very
difficult for the vet and for himself. They also have him isolated in
the bathroom in the back because it's a bit quieter.

Apparently they have a tube inside his urinary tract now which he will
have for some time and I think it might be a permanent thing. Icarus
definately got a but soaked with his urine and is licking the area
where the tube is coming out in order to clean himself. Disgusting but
somewhat normal. I'll be going back tomorrow to visit him and bring a
can of a food he likes and am also thinking about bringing him my MP3
player to play his favorite music. I want to do whatever I can to make
him comfortable. The vet says he'll probably if nothing else happens
be able to come home on Tuesday or Wednesday. 3 days seems to be a
standard in these cases.

Old December 24th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to catprotector :

I talked with the vet today and they said Icarus...

Icarus is the "panther," right?

I hope he calms down a bit and realizes everyone is trying to help. It
must be horrible to get poked or prodded and not know why.

Good luck to you and him.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old December 24th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catprotector

No. Icarus is the Japanese Bobtail. Isis is the Bombay. Icarus is
always like this at the vet. I feel bad for the doctor as Icarus isn't
making this easy. I had to help get the Elizabethan collar on his head
and hold him down so the vet could then tie it around his neck with
medical tape. I felt bad for Icarus. It can't be comfortable to have
tubes going in him and then have to sleep like that.