Nice correspondence with Ontario SPCA

Old November 10th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Nice correspondence with Ontario SPCA

This is cool! I wrote to the Ontario SPCA after reading about the cat
who fell 17 stories, survived with (relatively) minor injuries, and is
being held at the shelter while they search for the cat's owners, who
had moved away and left the cat behind. My concern was that this cat
would be given back to the very people who abandoned her. I received a
response from them this morning, which I didn't expect since I figured
they were going to get lots of mail about the story.

Before I post the letters, I have a question for anyone here who lives
in Ontario (Enfilade, are you reading this?). It sounds like the shelter
is required to hold the cat until the owner is found or until the owner
legally surrenders the cat. Does this mean they have to keep the cat
indefinitely? What if they can't find the owner? I know that in California,
there's a minimum time period a shelter has to hold an animal, while
waiting for the owners to claim it. If the people don't show up during
that time, then the animal falls under the custody of the shelter, at
which time they would usually put it up for adoption. Ontario doesn't
have that provision as well? That seems impractical - wouldn't shelters
be incredibly full with all those unclaimed animals?

Anyway, here's my letter to the OSPCA and their very positive response.

Joyce ^..^

Date: November 8, 2008 7:33 PM
Subject: News story 11/6 - cat that fell 17 stories

Hello,

I saw the Nov. 6 CityNews story on the web, about the cat that fell
17 stories and is being cared for at the Ontario SPCA.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_28910.aspx

I am concerned that this cat might be given back to her original
owners if they come to claim her. They have already abandoned her
once, so I don't understand why the SPCA would put her back into
their hands again.

However, I am from California, and it might be that our laws about
animal welfare are different from yours. If so, I think it's
unfortunate that a person who has abused or abandoned their pet would
still be legally entitled to keep that animal, and I think a law like
that could use some reform, if you don't mind hearing that from
someone outside of Canada.

Is there a possibility that the people who abandoned her could be
prosecuted for animal neglect - or, at the very least, denied the
opportunity to get her back? I would be much happier knowing that she
is adopted by someone else who will care for her properly. Given the
publicity, I don't think it would be hard to find someone to take her.

Subject: FW: News story 11/6 - cat that fell 17 stories
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:48:49 -0500
From: "Alison Cross"

Hello Joyce,

Thank you for your email and your concern for the welfare of this
animal. Unfortunately there are no laws currently in Canada that
grant us sole custody of the animal should the owner abandon it. The
owner can be charged and fined, but legally the animal must be
returned should the owner come forward to claim the animal.

We are currently supporting the passing of Bill 50, an amendment to
the Ontario SPCA Act (Ontario animal welfare legislation), which will
allow us the ability to apply for sole custody of the animal should
we believe returning it to the owner would be detrimental to the
animal's health.

Bill 50 has had its third reading and we are optimistic it will be
passed in the near future.

"Prima Bella" as we like to call her, is currently staying at our
York Region Branch in Newmarket Ontario. She will remain there until
her owners are found or until she is legally surrendered and
available for adoption.

Thank you again for voicing your concern for Prima Bella.

All the best,

Alison Cross
Manager, Marketing & Public Relations
Ontario SPCA, Provincial Office

Old November 11th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wahh i can see u really concern about the cat..
for me, i will be on the Ontario SPCA side coz without this law,
owner just adopt and kick the pet whenever they want.
they can take and left everywhere they want..
it such a pathetic situation..
pity the cat, left without food and shelter..
if me, i would charges them so that they get their lesson..

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com http://www.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com http://uc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com http://gc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com http://3700ad.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://manga.gamestotal.com http://manga.gamestotal.com /a

SPCA videos Takayuki Cat anecdotes 12 January 6th 07 06:17 PM
Beautiful russian blue grey cat needs home Ontario CA Karen Cat anecdotes 18 September 6th 06 11:11 AM
HOUSTON SPCA (WebElder) Cat health & behaviour 0 September 2nd 05 08:13 PM
OT Back from Ontario Enfilade Cat anecdotes 11 May 13th 05 06:25 PM
Breeding In Ontario Terry Bender Cats - misc 0 May 5th 05 11:39 PM