OT - Mini Rant, Fast Food

Old November 25th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default OT - Mini Rant, Fast Food

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:39:45 -0600, Storrmmee wrote:

btw, something else I had before the fire was a bread machine... we did
bake in it sometimes, but between my hands having issues, and DH's back
issues we often used it on the dough cycle to do the better part of
kneading, then we would shape/rise/bake in a stome, just an idea for you
to consider, Lee

I have given that some thought, but I have dough hooks for my mixer as an
alternative. In any case, I don't mind the manual prep, as long as I
have Vicodin to kill the back pain that too much standing up causes.

The problem I have with buns is that the ones I form first rise to the
doubling point while the last ones are still too small. I'm thinking
about making half recipes (the full recipe produces about a kilogram of
dough which makes about a dozen rolls).

--
Ted Davis )
Old November 25th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Storrmmee wrote:
was totally with you until the olive garden, have eaten in good to nasty
ones, the one here in springfield is a definitley avoid olive garden,
horrible unclean srvers, have gottten lunch portions for dinner, paper and
wrappings from the soup bag in soup, mold on the parm from the grinder, and
i won't talk about the really bad stuff, Lee

How strange! I've eaten in them in Los Angeles, Pasadena, several
locations in the San Fernando Valley, plus in St. Paul MN, New York
City, Boston, and at least two here in Phoenix AZ, all with consistently
happy results. I simply assumed it was the parent company that insisted
they maintain proper quality control - apparently I've just been lucky
with the franchise owners.

m...

My brother was in the fast food business for many years (Hardees). He
said a lot of the quality in such places depends upon how strictly the
"quality control" is maintained by the franchise, or franchise-owner. You
find that's true with many "chain" type restaurants, not just the fast food
variety. Marie Callendar can be very spotty, even in the same city -
excellent in one location, barely edible in another - even though the menu
is supposedly the same. Good Earth is very different from city to city -
even the menu is not the same everywhere. On the other hand, I've eaten
in any number of Olive Garden restaurants, in several different cities.
They serve the same menu everywhere, the quality of the food is
consistently high, and the service consistently good. (Consequently, when
I'm in a strange city looking for a quick meal, I look for an Olive
Garden, because I know I'll get a good meal at a reasonable price.)

Old November 26th 10, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

exactly, we frequent the olive garden near dh's mom as service is good, food
is right and place is clean, haven't eaten in the one in springfield in over
five years, Lee
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 11:27 am, "Storrmmee" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, franchise restaurants vary in quality with the territory. They
all may have
the same menu nationwide but the other two factors..uh uh (service and
food
quality). Olive Garden handy to me has terrible service and you can
spend hours
dining there, waiting for the servers to bring courses.
Macaroni Grill is also a franchise and more obnoxious faults my family
has experienced
with servers there. We no longer patronize the local one as
repeatedly, their star server
where we were always seated at his "section" of tables even though we
insisted on being
seated at the opposite end of service area where there was female
servers, would "hit" on
my DIL without pause as he served us, even *told by her to his face*
that she works for
local law enforcement office and (do you believe this ****?) her DH
sitting right there with
us all. I wrote a letter to corporate HQ but never got reply....and
said server still works there.
Put your money where your mouth is, says I.And vice versa.

Old November 26th 10, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

the cheese was so nasty i smelled it as he grated it, what i figure is that
the grater or cheese was allowed to be damp, it was disgusting, but when
they run it right its not a bit bad on the food, Lee
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 3:36 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Storrmmee wrote:
was totally with you until the olive garden, have eaten in good to nasty
ones, the one here in springfield is a definitley avoid olive garden,
horrible unclean srvers, have gottten lunch portions for dinner, paper
and
wrappings from the soup bag in soup, mold on the parm from the grinder,
and
i won't talk about the really bad stuff, Lee

How strange! I've eaten in them in Los Angeles, Pasadena, several
locations in the San Fernando Valley, plus in St. Paul MN, New York
City, Boston, and at least two here in Phoenix AZ, all with consistently
happy results. I simply assumed it was the parent company that insisted
they maintain proper quality control - apparently I've just been lucky
with the franchise owners.

om...
[...]

I am not arguing with you, no way. Only O.G.'s I;ve eaten in were here
and
formerly, south FL. But notice I did not diss the quality of the
food...only
service affronts.
The cataracts on my vision probably render me incapable of noticing
"mold
on cheese", etc. or worse. What you don't know by sight often can't be
tasted
either, LOL.

Old November 26th 10, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

frig the buns as you shape them then bring out to rise, or split the dough,
do as many as yo can and bake, Lee

Old November 26th 10, 09:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 25/11/2010 5:15 AM, CatNipped wrote:
Well, the funny thing is that when they did the heart catheter they found
not a single bit of plaque, strictures or and damage to my arteries, and I
had too *LOW* blood pressure (they would withhold my pain meds in the
hospital until my blood pressure was over 80 (the top number, I forget
whether it systolic or histolic). "Normal" blood pressure for me is 90/60
and they'll often have a hard time reading that (or don't believe their eyes
since they'll invariably take it two or three times before writing it down.
So salt is not a factor and there is no evidence of harm from saturated fat.
They think now is that it was because of the RSD and pushing myself too hard
that brought about the heart attack. More damaging to my heart/health is
weighing on 89.5 pounds (as of this morning).

Not that I think eating healthy is *bad*, only that it doesn't matter to the
doctor or nutritionist *what* I eat as long as I get a lot more protein into
my body.

Best I can suggest is those 'protein shakes' that body builder types use
to muscle up, or even going down to the health food shop and buying
those amino acid supplement thingies (probably about as good as a
'protein shake', actually)

Did a bit of a search and came across this site. It might be helpful:

http://www.gainingweight.info/a-samp...o-gain-weight/

Yowie
Old November 26th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 01:02:13 -0600, Storrmmee wrote:

frig the buns as you shape them then bring out to rise, or split the
dough, do as many as yo can and bake, Lee

I thought about doing something like that, but I didn't know if it would
work. Maybe even chilling half the dough, then chilling the first batch
while preparing the second. I'll definitely try that - thanks for the
suggestion.

BTW, I use a digital scale to portion the dough - about 80 grams per
bun. That's almost twice the weight of commercial "whole wheat" buns,
but real brown bread *is* heavier than the 'whole wheat added as a minor
ingredient' stuff one gets at the store.

--
Ted Davis )
Old November 26th 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 26/11/2010 17:15, Ted Davis wrote:

I thought about doing something like that, but I didn't know if it would
work. Maybe even chilling half the dough, then chilling the first batch
while preparing the second. I'll definitely try that - thanks for the
suggestion.

BTW, I use a digital scale to portion the dough - about 80 grams per
bun. That's almost twice the weight of commercial "whole wheat" buns,
but real brown bread *is* heavier than the 'whole wheat added as a minor
ingredient' stuff one gets at the store.

I make all my bread myself. Sometimes, I make the dough in the evening
and put it in the fridge to prove overnight. In the morning, I bake
rolls or a loaf and have fresh bread for breakfast. It helps that I
usually wake up very early (all by myself - the cats are usually annoyed
that I get up so early). Then I just have to make sure Caliban can't get
to the bread while it's cooling, and then I usually freze in part of the
bread.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old November 26th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

26.11.2010 20:01, Marina kirjoitti:

I make all my bread myself. Sometimes, I make the dough in the evening
and put it in the fridge to prove overnight. In the morning, I bake
rolls or a loaf and have fresh bread for breakfast. It helps that I
usually wake up very early (all by myself - the cats are usually annoyed
that I get up so early). Then I just have to make sure Caliban can't get
to the bread while it's cooling, and then I usually freze in part of the
bread.

I'd love to get some recipes, if you feel like sharing, as I'd love to
make bread myself. You can email me too, if you wish. At least we have
the same measures and ingredients available. When I've tried to make
bread, they've more or less turned into pancakes... meaning flat, heavy,
solid blocks that you could use to throw at someone. Then again my sweet
wheat dough bakings (bullängder osv) turn out just fine. I've been
thinking of making dough like the sweet versions, except not sweet, not
sure if that'd work though...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 27th 10, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I *SOOOOOO* wish I could drink sweet drinks (I love milk shakes). I can
eat solid sweets, candy, cake, pie, etc., but sweetened drinks, no matter
what sweetening agent is used (expect aspartame), makes me vomit.

or even going down to the health food shop and buying those amino acid
supplement thingies (probably about as good as a 'protein shake',
actually)

Yes, that would be a much better, "doable" solution.

Did a bit of a search and came across this site. It might be helpful:

http://www.gainingweight.info/a-samp...o-gain-weight/

Yowie

At a glance it looked like a good site for me - I bookmarked it for later
review - it's 12:00 PM here now so I've got to go and give sleep a chance to
happen! ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/