OT - Commercials

Old December 8th 10, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default OT - Commercials

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:05:02 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

What is your favorite or least favorite (and this is not just for US
folks, obnoxious commercials are pretty much a world-wide phenomena.

I don't know much about them: I mute the sound and turn to the book I'm
reading or pet the cat in my lap when they come on. That's the plan, but
I do occasionally get caught away from the remote and have to endure the
extra loud sound. I glance at the TV often enough that I don't miss much
of the program, but it's better to miss *all* the commercials and a bit
of the program than to have to endure *any* of the commercials.

From about 1970 until I got a TV with a remote, I hardly ever watched a
channel with commercials. I got sick enough of them at work (we made
them).

--
Ted Davis )
Old December 9th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
4. Ads that use old (bad) rock songs. Example: This one I have to
control myself or the venom will be lethal. The one that uses *THE*
most annoying/obnoxious song ever created, "I've got a brand new pair
of roller skates, you've got a brand new key..." Not only do they use
the nails-on-chalkboard "music", but they managed to pick the ugliest
baby on the planet

Sorry, I'm not a fan of babies but I think that one is cute I agree
the song is grating. I don't even know what the commercial is about.

Jill

Come to think of it, I don't remember, either - although I admit it's on
my list of "make a note not to buy the product they're selling".
Old December 9th 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 10:05 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
I have quite a few gripes about some of the US television commercials just
now and I was wondering about others' opinion, Agree or agree to disagree?
[And I'm not even going to touch on the false image of body-shape that
they
all promote.]

First, and this encompasses all commercials, not just one, I hate how
family
relationships are pictured, giving the impressions that these things are
normal or good. But others are annoying just in and of themselves. Below
are some I really dislike.

1. Parents should lie to their children. Example: The stain-remover ad
where the mother doesn't tell her daughter what really happened to her
favorite shirt, and, for the same product, a husband asking his children
lie to his wife/their mother about what they've eaten.

2. People who don't have the latest techno toys are stupid and outr .

3. Parents (especially/mostly fathers/husbands) are shown to be stupid and
easily outwitted or duped by their "hip", techno-savvy children. Example:
The wifi computer ad where the daughter tells her dunce of a father that
it
has "invisible cords" is one.

4. Ads that use old (bad) rock songs. Example: This one I have to control
myself or the venom will be lethal. The one that uses *THE* most
annoying/obnoxious song ever created, "I've got a brand new pair of roller
skates, you've got a brand new key..." Not only do they use the
nails-on-chalkboard "music", but they managed to pick the ugliest baby on
the planet (I suspect it was some company executive's grandson). Add to
that, they show a baby, in a baby walker dodging and weaving in traffic
with
cars and semis (and given the ugliness of the baby makes you wonder which
root for (joke, of course)). It reminds my of a few years ago when Quiznos
came up with a commercial that featured what looked to be dead rats
playing
guitars, and screeching - yeah, good way to advertise a fast food chain,
dead rats!

What is your favorite or least favorite (and this is not just for US
folks,
obnoxious commercials are pretty much a world-wide phenomena.
CatNipped

Some of the commercials display far more creativity and effort
involved than
the actual *programs* they sponsor, AFAIC. I like viewing marketing
ploys
and some of the spots that annoy you the most are the commercial
spots
I consider the most clever and effective. Snork.
Remember what politicians said many years ago when I was in my teens:
the average USA voter has the intelligence and viewpoint of an 8th
grader.
This has never been disproved IMHO.

***

I generally read during commercials or go do something in another room.
However, every now and then one sinks in and I'll remember it for a while,
either because I like or because I dislike it. However, with very few
exceptions, I don't have any idea what it's for.

Joy

Old December 9th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
I have quite a few gripes about some of the US television commercials just
now and I was wondering about others' opinion, Agree or agree to disagree?
[And I'm not even going to touch on the false image of body-shape that they
all promote.]

First, and this encompasses all commercials, not just one, I hate how family
relationships are pictured, giving the impressions that these things are
normal or good. But others are annoying just in and of themselves. Below
are some I really dislike.

1. Parents should lie to their children. Example: The stain-remover ad
where the mother doesn't tell her daughter what really happened to her
favorite shirt, and, for the same product, a husband asking his children to
lie to his wife/their mother about what they've eaten.

2. People who don't have the latest techno toys are stupid and outré.

3. Parents (especially/mostly fathers/husbands) are shown to be stupid and
easily outwitted or duped by their "hip", techno-savvy children. Example:
The wifi computer ad where the daughter tells her dunce of a father that it
has "invisible cords" is one.

4. Ads that use old (bad) rock songs. Example: This one I have to control
myself or the venom will be lethal. The one that uses *THE* most
annoying/obnoxious song ever created, "I've got a brand new pair of roller
skates, you've got a brand new key..." Not only do they use the
nails-on-chalkboard "music", but they managed to pick the ugliest baby on
the planet (I suspect it was some company executive's grandson). Add to
that, they show a baby, in a baby walker dodging and weaving in traffic with
cars and semis (and given the ugliness of the baby makes you wonder which to
root for (joke, of course)). It reminds my of a few years ago when Quiznos
came up with a commercial that featured what looked to be dead rats playing
guitars, and screeching - yeah, good way to advertise a fast food chain,
dead rats!

What is your favorite or least favorite (and this is not just for US folks,
obnoxious commercials are pretty much a world-wide phenomena.

I record everything I want to watch and remove any commercials before
watching, therefore I haven't been bothered by adverts for years.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old December 9th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Adrian wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
I have quite a few gripes about some of the US television commercials
just now and I was wondering about others' opinion, Agree or agree to
disagree? [And I'm not even going to touch on the false image of
body-shape that they all promote.]

First, and this encompasses all commercials, not just one, I hate how
family relationships are pictured, giving the impressions that these
things are normal or good. But others are annoying just in and of
themselves. Below are some I really dislike.

1. Parents should lie to their children. Example: The
stain-remover ad where the mother doesn't tell her daughter what
really happened to her favorite shirt, and, for the same product, a
husband asking his children to lie to his wife/their mother about what
they've eaten.

2. People who don't have the latest techno toys are stupid and outré.

3. Parents (especially/mostly fathers/husbands) are shown to be
stupid and easily outwitted or duped by their "hip", techno-savvy
children. Example: The wifi computer ad where the daughter tells her
dunce of a father that it has "invisible cords" is one.

4. Ads that use old (bad) rock songs. Example: This one I have to
control myself or the venom will be lethal. The one that uses *THE*
most annoying/obnoxious song ever created, "I've got a brand new pair
of roller skates, you've got a brand new key..." Not only do they use
the nails-on-chalkboard "music", but they managed to pick the ugliest
baby on the planet (I suspect it was some company executive's
grandson). Add to that, they show a baby, in a baby walker dodging
and weaving in traffic with cars and semis (and given the ugliness of
the baby makes you wonder which to root for (joke, of course)). It
reminds my of a few years ago when Quiznos came up with a commercial
that featured what looked to be dead rats playing guitars, and
screeching - yeah, good way to advertise a fast food chain, dead rats!

What is your favorite or least favorite (and this is not just for US
folks, obnoxious commercials are pretty much a world-wide phenomena.

I record everything I want to watch and remove any commercials before
watching, therefore I haven't been bothered by adverts for years.

OLD? saying: Do you know what happens without advertising?

Answer: Nothing.

MLB
Old December 9th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:05:02 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

What is your favorite or least favorite (and this is not just for US
folks, obnoxious commercials are pretty much a world-wide phenomena.

I don't know much about them: I mute the sound and turn to the book I'm
reading or pet the cat in my lap when they come on.

I'm with Ted. I learned at a very early age not to technically but
*mentally* mute the sound. I mentally block out any extraneous noise when
I'm reading. John has to mute them. Commercials drive him crazy.

Jill

Old December 9th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:05:02 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

What is your favorite or least favorite (and this is not just for US
folks, obnoxious commercials are pretty much a world-wide phenomena.

I don't know much about them: I mute the sound and turn to the book I'm
reading or pet the cat in my lap when they come on.

I'm with Ted. I learned at a very early age not to technically but
*mentally* mute the sound. I mentally block out any extraneous noise when
I'm reading. John has to mute them. Commercials drive him crazy.

Yeah, some people are better than others at filtering out sound. I'm
one of those who can't deal with noises very well. For instance, I've
worked at companies where there's a paging system (where anyone can
access it and page people throughout the building), and have been
miserable. No matter how deeply absorbed I might be in my work, if
someone makes a page, it rips my attention away immediately. And annoys
the hell out of me!! There are a lot of noises like that that I'm incapable
of ignoring. It's funny, because I'm very *unobservant* visually. There's
a lot in the environment that I simply don't see because my attention's
not there. But aurally, it feels like I can't get away from it.

I'd love to know more about the brain science behind that. I think it's
fascinating how specific these kinds of quirks are for different people.

Joyce

--
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old December 9th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's hard wired. If I hear Persia crying I snap out of my book
trance (and sleep). Commercials, not a problem.

I'd love to know more about the brain science behind that. I think it's
fascinating how specific these kinds of quirks are for different people.

Joyce

I wish I could tell you. There was this one guy I used to work with, I'd
sit outside on break wanting nothing more than to read my book. He'd sit
next to me and start talking and wouldn't shut up. I don't think he ever
realized I wasn't listening to him

Jill