Ping Tweed "Eating for England"

Old December 15th 15, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Ping Tweed "Eating for England"

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

It's about the Cat Olympics. surely you know about eating for
Britain?

Somehow, I don't. I have heard the phrase but don't know what it
denotes.
Unfortunately, I am not even familiar with Cat Olympics.

Sorry, it's a joke. There is no Cat Olympics but if there was, Boyfie
would
get the gold medal for the eating competiion, although Finland's entry,
Caliban, would give him a run for his money. ;-)

I was going to say! Well, if there was a special category for eating
cucumbers, he would definitely win.

He regained his weight and he no longer moans about "is it time for
food?"
in case he gets more than he wants ;-)

That's one way to overcome an overeating pattern! (Seriously!)

Actually, he overate like mad at first and it gave him diarrhoea. I knew
it would make him ill but now he is more sensible. He moderates his food
intake himself now. When he gets more sprinkles at 10 pm than he needs, he
actually says "too much"!
Well I never thought that Boyfie would ever say "too much"
I can't say that I was not slightly worried about the vet's idea, but I have
to admit it worked. He was slightly underweight because of "that cat" and
she told me to stuff him with food.
so I did. At first he liked it. ~then he decided it was too much. Now he
never moans about being starving by 3 pm just in case he gets too much food.

Old December 17th 15, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

He regained his weight and he no longer moans about "is it time for
food?" in case he gets more than he wants ;-)

That's one way to overcome an overeating pattern! (Seriously!)

Actually, he overate like mad at first and it gave him diarrhoea. I knew
it would make him ill but now he is more sensible. He moderates his food
intake himself now. When he gets more sprinkles at 10 pm than he needs, he
actually says "too much"!

Well I never thought that Boyfie would ever say "too much"
I can't say that I was not slightly worried about the vet's idea, but I have
to admit it worked. He was slightly underweight because of "that cat" and
she told me to stuff him with food.

so I did. At first he liked it. ~then he decided it was too much. Now he
never moans about being starving by 3 pm just in case he gets too much food.

There's a whole program for helping people overcome their eating disorders
(overeating, that is, not anorxia), and that is to buy all the foods you
crave, lots of it, and keep it in the house so you always know it's available
if you want it. And if you want it, you eat it. You don't have to agonize
about whether you should or you shouldn't have something - all foods are
"legal."

This doesn't work for everyone, but for the people it does work for, it's
kind of similar to what happened with Boyfie. Suddenly all these exciting
foods become ordinary. There's nothing like something being forbidden to
make it glamorous. So a lot of people who've tried this have said that after
a while, they lost interest in having ice cream or candy all the time, and
started craving things like vegetables. This didn't mean they never had ice
cream again, it just lost its "shiny" aspect because it was always available.

That said, I think there are people who have genuine food addictions, whether
it's physical (sugar probably has that property for some people) or mostly
psychological, if someone's problem is that once they start, they can't stop,
they might be better off with an abstinence program.

Anyway, I'm not expert on the subject, but it does strike me that there is
one way that both programs, although mostly opposite in their approaches,
are similar. And that is that there's no obsessive decision-making about
each and every item of food that someone might want. If someone is using
the abstinence approach, then the question is: Is this item in your food
plan? No? Then you don't eat it. End of story, no agonizing. If you're
doing the Boyfie method, then the question is, do you want it? Then have
it. No agonizing there, either. I really think this whole "should-I-or-
shouldn't-I" dance is extremely obsessive and that might even be the worst
part of an eating disorder. You just end up spending all your time thinking
about and worrying about food and whether or not you should eat this or that.
Both approaches eliminate that vortex.

In any case, I'm glad Boyfie is back to his usual weight and usual personality,
and in fact, has a more relaxed attitude about food. Maybe by providing food
on demand, you finally cured him of his insecurity about where the next
morsel is going to come from, due to his being a wandering stray. He finally
knows there is enough to eat.

--
Joyce

I wonder, wonder, whooooo, WHO! Who rode the moo-cow now?
-- Misheard lyric from "Book of Love"
Old December 19th 15, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

there has always been enough to eat for him here. Yes, he was once a
wandering stray boy with no home to go to and nothing to eat until Kitty FC
brought him in. He is not doing the same with anycat that he sees in the
garden. Far from it. " see you in my garden, and you are one dead cat"
he can be a dreadful fighter if he wants to make sure nocat comes near his
house.

..