It;s cold

Old November 27th 15, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default It;s cold

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:56:14 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 1:00:33 AM UTC, Christina Websell wrote:

.
I 've never lived in a house with central heating until I had to live with
my aunt for a while.

I find running it half way up the thermostat knob makes the place warm
without it being too hot- I can't stand too hot- We have a little fan heater
in the living room for Dave (apart from anything else at the moment applying
heat to his feet relieves the pain when he has his dressings changed) but my
PC is in the bedroom so if he wants things hotter in the living room then I
can sit in the bedroom

_______

I'd kind of like to have central heating as a back up. The problem with
having a woodburner that runs three radiators upstairs as the only source of
heat is that it goes out overnight for one thing. When it got down to -6c
the other night, my bathroom was down to 2C when I got up.. another thing is
that if I go out for more than a couple of hours, so does the woodburner so
it's pointless to light it.
To have gas central heating put in would mean the upstairs radiators would
have be removed and they are connected to the woodburner that somehow feeds
hot water to them without a pump. I have no idea how it works as it was the
previous owner of the house that installed it.
It's nice to be green ;-) but he moved away after 4 years. Into a centrally
heated house.
I was in all day today, so I lit the woodburner. It takes quite a few hours
to get up to speed but it's now 22c, only achieved by shutting this room off
from the kitchen. It's fabulous.

Boyfie grows a huge coat in the winter and I dress like the Michelin Man -
we're used to being a bit nippy. I don't think it harms Boyfie - he never
gets fleas, they can't survive my house during the winter even if he ever
got one, it would say "well, that was a bad idea.."
Tigger & Maisie, my brother's cat & dog, always have fleas. It's a real
problem and they do everything they can, they bomb the house, they shampoo
them with flea shampoo, they use Spot on flea treatment, but they still have
them because they have central heating and their house is hot all the year
round, which suits fleas.
I once came back with a flea from their house on my clothing one Christmas.
I went up to the bathroom for a wash (not knowing the flea was there) It
jumped into the water and committed suicide. I like to think it noted the
difference in temperature and thought "well, best die in warm water than
freeze to death in this house" g

Tweed

A fine mental image. Bug commits suicide. I'm also curious about how
the woodburner

I guess I have central heating - it's part of the A/C system. I know
it cools, and supposedly it heats when it has to. It pumps air all
through the house. That's a better way of doing it than my old house,
which boiled water to generate steam that went to the radiators in
pipes. No central A/C in that house. But I like just pumping hot or
cold air into reach room because that way there's a main filter that
catches stuff going into the system. Because I have four cats, I clean
or replace it every three months. It catches a lot of cat hair.
Probably some of mine as well.

I suppose in a few months I'll see if the heat ever goes on. I'm
assured by the locals that it will get cold enough for a few weeks to
turn on. But I'll lower the temperature if that happens. I don't
really need it at 77F (25C), a few degrees cooler would be more than
adequate.

Old November 27th 15, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I have the same sort of setup as you do. I also have a programmable
thermostat that I can switch between cool and heat. I set the "heat" to
73 F in the daytime and 65 F at night, and the "cool" is set at 78 F
daytime and 69 F at night.

Joy
Old November 27th 15, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 11/27/2015 5:13 AM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:00:43 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
I'm starting to get used to Florida weather. It's end of November and
it was almost chilly enough last night to bike in something other than
shorts and a T-Shirt. But that's what I wore anyway.

The rain is still weird. It rains in one place but not another. I
turned onto a little road that we use for a mile or so as a shortcut,
and it started raining hard. When I turned off it a few minutes
laters, it stoppedd raining. That isn't unusual at all around here.

Sounds like you are liking the move, what does Baby think of it?
Tweed

Ah. I don't think that she's ever going to be really at home indoors.
She's mostly afraid of me, but I can pet and brush her sometimes.
Usually when I first get up she comes out from under the bed and I'll
sit on the rug and she'll come near enough for me to give her a quick
touch or two. Then either she darts away and goes back under the bed,
or she lets me brush her for a while.

She does seem to roam around a lot at night. I think that the other
cats adapted to a daytime schedule since that's when I'm active, but
of course they're also active at night and sleep most of the day. I
suppose Baby was always on a night schedule and spent most of her days
sleeping somewhere.

I always thought that I was giving her dinner when I fed her before I
went to sleep, and breakfast in the morning when I headed off to work,
but I guess I had it backwards.

Still, she's safe, warm, dry, and has constant food. Her tail is often
up in the air, so I guess that means that at least sometimes she's
happy.

She'll probably warm up to you, and get more comfortable with the living
arrangements, as time goes by. I'd had Koala for several months before
he voluntarily let me touch him. How I often begs for petting (when I'm
standing up) and lies on my legs when I'm sitting in my recliner. He
usually spends part of the night on my bed, and some of that time he's
crammed up against my legs. However, I still can't pick him up, and he
wants to make sure he's where he can escape easily when I pet him. He
was a feral before the shelter got him, and nobody but me ever sees him.
However, he has no desire to go outside.
Old November 27th 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 11/27/2015 5:17 AM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:09:13 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
wrote:

.
I 've never lived in a house with central heating until I had to live
with my aunt for a while.

I find running it half way up the thermostat knob makes the place warm
without it being too hot- I can't stand too hot- We have a little fan
heater in the living room for Dave (apart from anything else at the
moment applying heat to his feet relieves the pain when he has his
dressings changed) but my PC is in the bedroom so if he wants things
hotter in the living room then I can sit in the bedroom

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

It certainly went cold very suddenly. I don't like being too hot either,
it makes me feel ill. When I was at work, the other women there were
always turning the heating up. If it gets a bit too cool during the day I
put the heating on for an hour but as I'm usually doing things I don't
need to. During the evening we have it on as we don't have any other form
of heating. Sootie is not impressed with the cold, wind or rain and spends
most of her time curled up asleep somewhere.

Judith

Boyfie has only recently discovered that when the woodburner is on, the rug
in front of it is really warm. He sits on it, and turns to me like "why
didn't you tell me about this before?"
Tweed

It is funny how they like those warm spots. My A/C is set at 77F and
that's what it is all the time. But when the sun pours into the
Florida room (floor to ceiling glass windows/doors) it gets really
warm and several of the cats will be lying in the sunlight just
roasting away.

I used to have a cat that liked to lie on top of my kitchen range in
cold weather. The range had a pilot light in the oven, and a flat area
in the middle, with the burners on either end. He'd lie on that flat
area, up tight against the oven vent, so he got the warmth from the
pilot light.
Old November 28th 15, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

[...]

I have a new ceiling fan in the bedroom. Well, we have ceiling fans in
every room, but the one in the bedroom is a monster. The ceiling is
high and arched so the fan is about two feet lower than the ceiling,
but it has six speeds and anything above 3 starts feeling like a major
wind storm.

So far (since July) the fans are on all the time. Mostly on the lowest
speed, just moving the air a bit. Even that makes a big difference in
the feel of the temperature.
Old November 28th 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes. A breeze, even an artificial one, can help one feel cooler.
Old November 28th 15, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:17:06 -0500, dgk wrote:

It is funny how they like those warm spots. My A/C is set at 77F and
that's what it is all the time. But when the sun pours into the
Florida room (floor to ceiling glass windows/doors) it gets really
warm and several of the cats will be lying in the sunlight just
roasting away.

I remember a story from many years ago, about a ginger cat in England.

He lived with a foundry worker, and went with him to work every day,
and slept right next to the kiln, where it was well over 100F all
the time, and really seemed to like it. That cat lived to be 20+,
if I remember correctly.

Old December 2nd 15, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

.
[...]

They're desert creatures, adapted to hot climates, and stuck living
in temperate (and colder) zones. My cats do the same thing. It's
90-stupid degrees out (mid 30s C) and they're lying in the window
trying to get as much sunlight as possible. They're doing flat-cat,
but not moving out of the sun.

--
Joyce

No one should try to hit another's bumper. But bumper bumpage is a part of
life. Yawn and get on with it. -- Gene Weingarten
Old December 3rd 15, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 02:35:00 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

dgk wrote:

It is funny how they like those warm spots. My A/C is set at 77F and
that's what it is all the time. But when the sun pours into the
Florida room (floor to ceiling glass windows/doors) it gets really
warm and several of the cats will be lying in the sunlight just
roasting away.

They're desert creatures, adapted to hot climates, and stuck living
in temperate (and colder) zones. My cats do the same thing. It's
90-stupid degrees out (mid 30s C) and they're lying in the window
trying to get as much sunlight as possible. They're doing flat-cat,
but not moving out of the sun.

It's odd that they have all that fur though. I've noticed that the
squirrels in Florida have much less fur than the ones in NY, and that
certainly makes sense. But for desert creatures, cats have a lot of
hair. Nipsy is a long hair, maybe part Maine Coon, and I just can't
see him ever living in a desert. But lions and tigers have fur and
live in desert climates so maybe it provides protection from the sun.
Old December 3rd 15, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

Maybe some breeds of cats evolved thicker, longer fur to deal with cold
climates? Or they might've been deliberately bred that way for their
beauty. My guys are shorthairs.

--
Joyce

What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry