How much space for a cat?

Old February 5th 04, 04:18 AM
Gee

"Tristan Miller" wrote in message

My grandparents' cat is indoor only, and to me it doesn't seem any more or
less happy than any outdoor cat I've come across. I know for a fact it's
more physically healthy than many outdoor cats I know, since it has no
opportunity to be mauled by a stranger.

Or by car/poison/fox/dog/desease/.

Here is a lot of info about Indoor cats and why do it indoor way, excellent
site: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...2/indoors.html

I learned far too late and in the worse possible way that cats should be
kept indoors, and only after my beloved QT got run over. My other 4 are now
living a very happy indoor life and like yours will, go out only on a safe
leash and cat harness. And even though I let them stay outside as long as
they want, they usually want back in only 15 min to 1/2 hr on nicer days.
They definitly prefer things I have done for them inside, like a tall cat
tree, cat bedroom on top of the cupboard, cat stairs on the walls, another
bad on another cupboard, delicious food, lots of toys and attention, and
above all my love.

Living in a flat is absolutely fine for a cat or two or three or four. Think
up not just sideways Cats would live on the ceiling if they could. Check
out this: http://www.thecatshouse.com/ about an amazing couple who love
their 9 cats so much they have redecorated the house to suit the cats. It is
so amazing what they;ve done that their book about it is regularely sold
out. Check it here, there are some pic of the house as well
http://www.thecatshouse.com/books/bk_01.htm or on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Anyway, as I said, I fully intend to take the cat for walks every day
provided it's willing and can learn to walk with a leash.

Came across this, about training the cat to walk on leash:
http://cats.about.com/library/howto/htwalkleash.htm

Gee

Old February 5th 04, 04:17 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 03:18:01 -0000, "Gee" wrote:

"Tristan Miller" wrote in message

My grandparents' cat is indoor only, and to me it doesn't seem any more or
less happy than any outdoor cat I've come across. I know for a fact it's
more physically healthy than many outdoor cats I know, since it has no
opportunity to be mauled by a stranger.

Or by car/poison/fox/dog/desease/.

Foxes have never been known to harm a healthy cat.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

--
Bob.

You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full
of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the
clue mating dance.

Old February 5th 04, 09:34 PM
Jacqueline

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:17:04 +0000, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:
If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

Just subscribed to this group, you're like a stuck record, aren't ye?
Find it quite bizarre that you would spend so much of your time trying
to antagonise people.

Of course cats should be free to roam, - so should
dogs/budgies/hamsters/people - but there are very few places where
that is possible. We have made society that way. So if you take the
decision to home a cat you also take with it the responsibility of
making sure its needs are met - and that means ensuring it is safe and
well looked after. To call people abusers for keeping cats indoors in
a stable environment is just preposterous.

Jacqueline
(UK)

Old February 5th 04, 11:56 PM
Bob Brenchley.

wrote:
[...]

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature. Dogs can't be given that
for human safety reasons. Hamsters are not native to the UK, but need
proper housing. People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

Jacqueline
(UK)

--
Bob.

Cats know what we feel. They don't always care, but they know.

Old February 6th 04, 01:55 AM
Gee

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message

Foxes have never been known to harm a healthy cat.

Actually, not true. And if you don't believe me (which you will not, because
you always know everything the best, and instead will call me names he he,
which I will not see because I am about to killfile you again like I have in
other newsgroups,) check with RSPCA. They are the ones who confirmed to me
that they do get cats attacked by foxes in. So even though cats may not be
fox's first preference, if they are hungry enough they'll go for it.

Gee

Old February 6th 04, 01:20 PM
Jacqueline

wrote:

Of course cats should be free to roam, - so should
dogs/budgies/hamsters/people - but there are very few places where
that is possible. We have made society that way. So if you take the
decision to home a cat you also take with it the responsibility of
making sure its needs are met - and that means ensuring it is safe and
well looked after. To call people abusers for keeping cats indoors in
a stable environment is just preposterous.

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature.

It's part of every animal's 'nature' to roam, establish territory and
find food but we've moved on slightly from the laws of the jungle.
Cats have been domesticated and as such are provided with food,
shelter and territory. They adapt to their environment, just like we
adapt to the structures imposed on us.

Dogs can't be given that for human safety reasons.

Foxes are essentially canine but they have 'freedom to roam' and don't
attack humans. You only think it's normal for dogs to be walked around
on leads because that's your experience.

Hamsters are not native to the UK,

Nor are cats, they were introduced by the Romans.

but need proper housing.

In a cage? Why can't they be let out to roam? Because they might get
eaten or killed? Ah, but it's their nature to forage for food!

People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life. It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree, so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.