[OT] but I still think Bath Bombs will appeal to the wimmenz

Old April 24th 05, 04:50 PM
Duke of URL

Default [OT] but I still think Bath Bombs will appeal to the wimmenz

Besides, if you have a cat like I do, who likes to sit on the edge of the
tub and supervise baths, just picture its reaction to the fizzing!
Bath Bombs
Bath Bombs are like giant alka-seltzers for your bath - they spin, whirl and
swirl in your bath while releasing scent and skin-softening agents. They
make bath time SUPER fun!
Basic Bath Bomb:
1/3 part citric acid
2/3 parts baking soda
Witch Hazel
BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND the citric acid and baking soda - this step is super
important - if you don't blend well, you end up with a grainy bomb. We
actually use a mixer on our larger batches.
Once you've blended really well, add your colorant. Dry pigments work best -
don't add too much though - the color shows up once you add the witch hazel.
Add your fragrance oils to your personal nose preference.
Now, this is the difficult part. Spritz (with a squirt bottle) the witch
hazel onto your batch while stirring with the other hand. When your batch
sticks together when squished, you need to start putting it in molds - time
is of the essence. If you wait too long, the mixture will get hard. If you
spritz too much, the mixture will be too wet and "grow" (start the fizzing
reaction) on you.
Put the bombs in molds - wait a few minutes and tap them out. Let them air
dry for 3 or 4 hours and voila! Wonderful, hard bath bombs. The harder you
pack the bath bombs, the more dense, heavy, and durable bomb you will get.
Water Softening Fizzy
1 cup Baking soda
1/2 cup Citric acid
1/2 cup corn starch
2-1/2 tablespoons oil ( I use a combo of grapeseed and almond, but you can
use any liquid oils)
3/4 tablespoon Water
2 teaspoons essential or fragrance oils
1/2 teaspoon Borax
Spray bottle filled with Witch hazel
Mix the baking soda, citric acid and corn starch until well blended.
In a separate bowl combine cooking oil, water, essential oil, and borax.
Mix well.
Drizzle wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, pouring with one hand and
squishing it together with the other.
Pack into candy or soap molds. I use a circular 2 oz. soap mold with a
flower pattern on the top (it's tooooo hard to unmold anything with squared
corners). Pack it in really hard, then immediately flip it over and tap it
out onto a lined cookie sheet.
When all are done, lightly mist with witch hazel and let dry overnight.
Next day, turn over and mist the bottoms with witch hazel. Let dry another
day. The witch hazel forms a crust on the outside that keeps them from
cracking and falling apart, although they're still a little fragile. Don't
make them when it's damp outside, high humidity makes it much harder to do.
Moisture Rich Fizzy
Dry ingredients:
1 cup Baking soda
1/2 cup Corn Starch
1/4 cup Epsom Salt
1/2 cup Citric Acid
Wet ingredients:
2-3/4 tablespoons Almond oil
3/4 tablespoon Water
1/4 teaspoon Borax (optional)
1-1/2 teaspoon fragrance oil or essential oil
Colorant
Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and then in a separate dish or cup,
mix wet ingredients and then combine the two. I use a wire whisk ... the mix
doesn't really even look wet, but it compacts nicely into molds and, after
drying through the night, they are rock hard and fizz for almost 2 minutes.
Make sure to whisk fast when adding wet ingredients to prevent fizzing;
whisk for a good minute and then press mix into your mold.
Fizzy Milk Bath Bombs
1 c. baking soda
1/2 c. citric acid
1/2 c. corn starch
1/3 c. epsom salts (finely ground)
1/4 c. powdered milk (buttermilk will clump so don't use it)
2 tblsp olive oil (tip: infuse calendula petals for an extra therapeutic
bath)
2 tsp melted cocoa butter
1 tsp fragrance or essential oil
3-7 tsp water/witch hazel blend (1:1).
TIP: put in a spray bottle for even dispersion
Mix all dry ingredients together well, drizzle the olive oil and melted
cocoa butter and fragrance/essential oil over the dry mix, mix together with
hands, and then use witch hazel/water blend to get the product to the right
consistency to shove into your favorite molds. Enjoy with your bath!
For an extra moisturizing Bath Fizzy, try this recipe:
1 cup citric acid
2 cups baking soda
1 tsp. fragrance oil
1 tsp. olive oil (or shea butter or cocoa butter)
Follow the basic bath bomb directions above and drizzle the olive oil in
with the fragrance oil.
If you want to substitute some of the baking soda, you can substitute up to
1 full cup with dehydrated milk (goat's milk or regular milk).
If you want a colored bath, add powdered food coloring or liquid food
coloring. If you add 1/2 tsp. of liquid food coloring to the basic recipe,
this should give you a colored bath. If you add 1/8 tsp. powdered food
coloring to the basic recipe, you will get a wonderfully vibrant tub. If
your tub is dirty, or has excess oil in it, this recipe will leave a ring
around your tub.
Tub Tints are a really fun way to add some pizzazz to your bath!
3 cups baking soda
1 1/2 cups citric acid
2 cups cornstarch
3 cc fragrance oil
..15cc powdered water-soluble dye (pigments or micas will NOT work. FD&C Blue
and FD&C Yellow from Bramble Berry WILL work. If you use a pigment on mica,
it may not disperse evenly in the water, and may stain your tub!)
Mix all ingredients completely. The mixture will appear white.
Package into decorative bags and tie closed.
To use, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup per full tub of water. Mix crystals in completely
before getting into the water. Taa-daaaa! Colored bath water!
--

Cliologist, Philanthropologist, Prothonotary Wibbler, Paleoconservative,
Surface Warrior Squid

Old April 25th 05, 03:20 PM
Singh

All the kids but Roxie have an unusual thing for watching us bathe, and they
get weirded out when I plop-plop, fizz-fizz. Thanks for the recipe, too! :-)

Blessed be,\
Baha

Old April 25th 05, 07:01 PM
Duke of URL

Singh wrote:
"Duke of URL" wrote in message

Besides, if you have a cat like I do, who likes to sit on the edge
of the tub and supervise baths, just picture its reaction to the
fizzing!
Bath Bombs

Oh, and where do you get the citric acid?

Demned if /I/ know - at a citrus store? From an over-age acidhead?
I just posts 'em, I don't supply 'em...

Old April 25th 05, 08:43 PM
Debbie Wilson

Duke of URL wrote:

Singh wrote:

Oh, and where do you get the citric acid?

Demned if /I/ know - at a citrus store? From an over-age acidhead?
I just posts 'em, I don't supply 'em...

I think lemon juice would pretty much do the trick....

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old April 25th 05, 11:23 PM
Gennie

This thread reminds me of the time a friend sent some homemade bath
bombs through the Postal system from Canada to the US. One has to label
the contents of parcels on the outside of the package and she duly
notated "Bath Bombs."

Well, that package wasn't delivered for weeks...it was held in customs
for investigation of containing explosives!

She labeled subsequent packages as containing "Bath Fizzies."

BTW--if you Google for citric acid (powdered) suppliers you will come
up with sites that cater to crafts people & others that make homemade
body products...

Singh wrote:
Oh, and where do you get the citric acid?

Gennie & =^..^= Marietta

Old April 26th 05, 05:58 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Cheryl Perkins
wrote:

Gennie wrote:
snip
BTW--if you Google for citric acid (powdered) suppliers you will come
up with sites that cater to crafts people & others that make homemade
body products...

It sounds like the sort of thing you might find at a pharmacy, unless you
have access to a wholesale supplier of material to the bath bomb industry
(or possibly the food industry), which would sell it in vast quantities
at a fraction of the unit price.

Citric acid has many applications in food preserving and some in
cooking. One of its common names is "sour salt", and it can be used as a
different taste than lemon or vinegar.

My jar came from www.spicesetc.com. I've noticed that another supplier,
www.bulkfoods.com, has much larger quantities, quite inexpensively.
(spicesetc is still very good for cooking-sized quantities of lots of
things).

Bulkfoods also lists ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and malic acid. You might
experiment with these as well; malic acid may give a scent of apples.
Old April 26th 05, 07:42 PM
Gennie

Here is a link with some suggestions for suppliers of homemade Bath
Bomb ingredients:
Also has nice pix & tips on assembling the bombs...

http://megan.scatterbrain.org/notmar...bathbombs.html

HTH! Gennie

Old April 26th 05, 10:05 PM
Duke of URL

Gennie wrote:

This thread reminds me of the time a friend sent some homemade bath
bombs through the Postal system from Canada to the US. One has to
label the contents of parcels on the outside of the package and she
duly notated "Bath Bombs."

Well, that package wasn't delivered for weeks...it was held in customs
for investigation of containing explosives!

She labeled subsequent packages as containing "Bath Fizzies."

BUWAAHAHAHAHAHA...
I guess I'd best be getting some cookies and koolaid ready for the MIB when
NSA's Echelon & FIB's Carnivore spit my name/address/bloodtype/ekcetra
out...

Old April 26th 05, 10:06 PM
Duke of URL

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

I just want to sit and contemplate the concept of:
bath bomb industry

--

Cliologist, Philanthropologist, Prothonotary Wibbler,
Paleoconservative, Surface Warrior Squid

Cat "bath wipes" jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 December 21st 03 08:13 AM
My Bath Gizela Cat anecdotes 2 December 18th 03 07:17 AM
Pooping in the bath tub!!! :0! Zhuzhenka Cat health & behaviour 8 October 21st 03 08:38 PM
Vera & Lola Bath Night......... Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 2 August 12th 03 01:01 PM