best way to brush shedding cats

Old May 3rd 15, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cat owner

Default best way to brush shedding cats

is it better to hold a cat to brush them or brush them while laying down
Old May 3rd 15, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

cat owner wrote:

is it better to hold a cat to brush them or brush them while laying
down

Whichever is easier.

Last summer I noticed my little calico suffered some huge hairballs, so
this time I used shears on her. She took it surprisingly well. But I do
need to sharpen the shears.
Old May 3rd 15, 09:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

RowwwHissssPurr writes:

We have a remote vacuum so there is very little sound when it is on. Both
our cats (especialy the one that was feral a dozen years or so ago) have
grown to like being groomed with a brush attached to the vacuum hose. Just
keep it away from their face.

A remote vacuum is an interesting idea, thank you for mentioning that.

I was amused that when we bought our present vacuum cleaner for the
house, our cat knew what it was before we ever used it: the moment he
saw it, he became very alert and gave it a good whack with his paw.

-- Mark
Old May 3rd 15, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per cat owner:
is it better to hold a cat to brush them or brush them while laying down

I would think it depends on the cat.

With ours, an attempt to brush it while holding it would result in a
trip to the ER for the brusher.

However you do it, start very slow without pressing at all and then
explore the cat's comfort level from there.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old May 3rd 15, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cat owner

I do have a new brushing mitten i use
Old May 4th 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

"cat owner" wrote in message
is it better to hold a cat to brush them or brush them while laying down

I use a Zoom Groom and I use it when my cat is standing (he doesn't like be
be held). Then he lies down. It's a gentle thing with soft rubber fingers
that gets the hair out really well, he likes it.
If your cat doesn't mind being held while being brushed, it doesn't matter
either way.

Shedding! jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 9 September 20th 12 09:24 PM
Shedding Madness Ginni Cat health & behaviour 13 April 10th 08 10:08 PM
OMG the shedding! ensoul Cat health & behaviour 5 February 29th 08 03:22 AM
Shedding: How much is too much? Jeffrey Kaplan Cats - misc 1 July 17th 06 04:57 AM
shedding and flakes? Helen Cat health & behaviour 5 January 22nd 05 03:57 PM