Seeking advice re lung cancer

Old July 12th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default Seeking advice re lung cancer

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:23:45 +0000 (UTC), MLB
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:27:06 -0700, tmpdirr wrote:

On Monday, June 24, 2013 4:24:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
We have a single family pet, a female Manx cat, who is 13 years old. We
have had her since a couple of months after birth, having adopted her
from a friend. She has always been an indoors-only cat, and has been
well cared for. She has lost some weight recently. The vet took x-rays
and blood work, examined the x-rays and test results, and had them also
reviewed by a radiologist. Before we got the test results back, the vet
had suggested we try feeding baby food to help get her weight up, and
we have been doing that with success. When the results came back, the
vet and radiologist both agreed that there is lung cancer (spots on the
x-rays), and that the blood work indicates there is not pneumonia. The
vet says our cat could die at any time, and is, or may be, in some
discomfort. We are not sure whether the cat is in pain, although she
has probably been more sedentary than usual recently. Our vet is a
long-time personal friend, whom we trust very much, and we have no
reason to doubt the diagnosis. Our family has a strong emotional
attachment to this cat. We are struggling with what to do, including
whether to have her put to sleep, and if so, when. As far as trying to
save or prolong her life, the checkup and tests ran a few hundred
dollars, which we can afford, but costs over $1,000 would be difficult
or unrealistic for us. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you.

I was the original poster to this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to....health+behav/

nuGihsE--8I

Thank you to everyone who contributed.
Your posts helped us a lot and we finally had our cat put to sleep
recently.
It was just an injection from our vet, while our daughter was petting
her, and she went out quickly.
It was a difficult situation, but it really was time.
She had a good, long life.
Thanks again very much.

++++++++++++
".....Rise up slowly, Angel...."
It's hard to let you go.
Sincere condolences. MLB

“Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet
friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own
lives.” - John Galsworthy

Condolences on your loss.........

Old July 12th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...av/nuGihsE--8I

Thank you to everyone who contributed.
Your posts helped us a lot and we finally had our cat put to sleep
recently.
It was just an injection from our vet, while our daughter was petting
her, and she went out quickly.
It was a difficult situation, but it really was time.
She had a good, long life.
Thanks again very much.

This is often the best course of action to take. I wish, were I to get some
debilitating disease that wouled cause me a lot of suffering and hospital
time, that someone would sneak up behind me and dispatch me so easily.
Unfortuantely, us humans have it set up for us to suffer needlessly.

Old July 15th 13, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:09:10 -0700, "Bill Graham"

[...]

Slippery slope argument - although I think we need some way of
accomplishing this. Still, at least for pets it is often the best
thing to do although it hurts us so much. Condolences to the OP.