OT - Recognize These Symptoms?

Old July 18th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default OT - Recognize These Symptoms?

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow or the day after (I'm working three
insane shifts: 12 pm to 8 pm, 11 pm to 6:30 am, and 7:15 to 1 pm -
close to 24 hours straight of awake working.)

I can't find any info on the net: I don't even know what to search
for. Anyone here have an idea?

--Constant misperception: mistaking one thing for another, or one
word for another (in extreme cases, seeing things that aren't there,
or not seeing things that are there) It feels like someone is
"Switching things around" behind your back, though you know they
aren't.

--Suddenly getting something familiar wrong--like suddenly mixing up
your phone number - and not being able to tell whether the number
you've given is right or wrong

--Triple-checking things and still making lots of errors

--Leaving stove burners on, taps going, etc. Double checking them and
thinking they are off--they're not--you only find out when 1. you
leave and come back, 2. you get another cue like the smell of a stove
burner or notice the sound of running water 3 somone else points it
out

--Mixing up words: like saying "now" instead of "new", "bucket"
instead of "basket" (or, in extreme cases, "cup" instead of basket -
ie an object to hold things and letting the listener guess the correct
word from that)

--Getting counts wrong

--Not being able to perceive errors until another person shows them to
you - ie you count two, double-count two, triple-count two, and only
when someone comes along to point out that there are four, can you
perceive that there are four, and never have been two.

--Having to write down basic information - like your phone number, bus
number, name of your employer, address - and having to check it before
giving it out, even years later (ie repetition does not help you
remember)

--in the end, being never quite sure what is real or what
isn't....it's all a guess, and you regularly guess wrong.

--Fil

Old July 18th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 17, 11:00*pm, Enfilade wrote:
[...]

Good grief, Fil. I think the first paragraph is the answer to your
question.
You're stressed, and tired! I hope things level out soon for you. Hang
in there!

Sherry
Old July 18th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

On Jul 18, 2:00 pm, Enfilade wrote:
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow or the day after (I'm working three
insane shifts: 12 pm to 8 pm, 11 pm to 6:30 am, and 7:15 to 1 pm -
close to 24 hours straight of awake working.)

snipped

--in the end, being never quite sure what is real or what
isn't....it's all a guess, and you regularly guess wrong.

--Fil

Sounds like exhaustion / sleep deprivation to me. I was like this
when DD was very small and I wasn't getting enough sleep. Very
frustrating, but I was too tired to do more than try to exist.

Tish
Old July 18th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Enfilade" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Sherry and Tish. You are exhausted, stressed, sleep deprived.
The schedule you described is impossible for *anyone* and can do terrible
things for both your mental and physical health. Whatever the reason is for
that schedule, it's simply impossible. Please do whatever you can to get
out of that because it can lead to a train wreck.

MaryL

Old July 18th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Enfilade wrote:

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow or the day after (I'm working three
insane shifts: 12 pm to 8 pm, 11 pm to 6:30 am, and 7:15 to 1 pm -
close to 24 hours straight of awake working.)

I can't find any info on the net: I don't even know what to search
for. Anyone here have an idea?

Eek, it sounds like you're not getting enough sleep! If I worked those
kinds of hours, I wouldn't even have been able to post as articulate a
description of my symptoms has you have done. (Without a single error,
by the way! Not that I went over it with a fine-tooth comb, but it didn't
look like someone with severe cognitive problems wrote it.)

Is there any way you could NOT DO one of those shifts? I think you're
going to be a babbling idiot by the time you get through that, if you're
having these symptoms now. In any case, please tell me you're not driving!!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 18th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Folks, this isn't sleep deprivation nor is it short term. I've been
having those symptoms for over a year now, including times when I was
regularly getting 10 hours of sleep a night (or more). I have been
having those symptoms when I have been waiting to hear back from a job
application while collecting EI (ie, not working, not applying for
work, and not worrying about income). I have rarely had a less
stressful time in my life, with no work, no school and no significant
worries, yet the symptoms were still there. The only difference was,
no one cares if I can't figure out an old Transformer, forget the
names of My Little Ponies, or lose a book and need to wait a couple
weeks until Dylan stumbles across it. And I had DP around to keep me
"straight" and double-check everything. Now, if I'm mixing things up,
forgetting my address and not seeing things right, it matters.

No, I'm not driving to work. I mostly quit driving months ago due to
confusion/mistakes/uncertainty about colours of stop lights, or
direction of traffic, or whether something is or isn't a driveway.
When I can't be "sure" about those things, I don't feel I belong at
the wheel if I have to guess. I will drive with DP in the car, or
down the road; I don't feel good about doing much more alone. I have
a paper I carry around to make sure I get on the right bus.

As for the crazy shifts - this is not a long term situation. It is a
one or two week situation (I am required to give the hotel two weeks'
notice before I quit and/or change my shifts around. I began working
for the clinic the less than 4 hours after my interview - ie behind
the desk working. I cannot not train at the new job, as the trainer
is leaving on mat leave tomorrow, nor can I leave the hotel without a
worker as there is no one available for my shift at such short
notice. I am trying to trade shifts, as I want the hotel job as a
fallback should this other position fall through. I am already
uncomfortable in that had I known the degree of accounting/math
involved, I would have declined during the interview. Now I'm hired
and "stuck".)

I love working at the hotel. I'm basically a security guard there,
with a side of customer service. I watch security cams, lock/unlock
doors, and when asked, serve coffee or forward phone calls. That's
about it...I usually "do" about 1 or 2 things a night, the rest of the
time I'm staying up watching the building and wandering around,
drinking tea and reading. Best job ever.

I wonder if I just can't handle the stress of an office job any more?
Gods, I used to be a /pilot/ and I handled THAT okay...I don't know
what went "wrong" if that's the case.

I am fine in typing. You may notice it as an odd thing talking to
me. You will be frustrated as hell watching me try to use numbers or
remember things I have heard, because it doesn't "stick".

--Fil
Old July 18th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Enfilade" wrote in message
[...]

Are you taking any medication? The symptoms could be a side effect of
medication, or two medications working together. In any case, I'd see a
doctor asap. I thought it was sleep deprivation too until you said you've
been having the symptoms for a year.

Joy

Old July 18th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Enfilade wrote:

Folks, this isn't sleep deprivation nor is it short term. I've been
having those symptoms for over a year now, including times when I was
regularly getting 10 hours of sleep a night (or more).

Hmm. It sounds like the kind of stuff that happens to a lot of women
during menopause, but you seem a bit young for that... and I've never
heard any menopausal woman complain about not recognizing colors. But
the forgetfulness, absent-mindedness, not being able to remember words,
those are all very familiar symptoms to me, and have been for the past
5-6 years.

Do you have any physical symptoms? Not that your brain isn't physical,
but you know what I mean. Things happening in other parts of your body.
Any pain, muscular or nerve pain, numbness, etc? I'm just wondering if
it's neurological.

I am fine in typing. You may notice it as an odd thing talking to
me. You will be frustrated as hell watching me try to use numbers or
remember things I have heard, because it doesn't "stick".

It's interesting that you have no problems typing but do when you're
speaking. The brain is very specialized that way, so if one area is
having a problem, you might find that you have symptoms only under very
specific circumstances.

All of those things do sound a lot like sleep deprivation, but if you're
sleeping pretty well, then that's not it. Are you sure you're *dreaming*,
though? One of the main reasons severe sleep deprivation causes such
weird cognitive symptoms is because of lack of REM sleep. So you might
be going to sleep every night, but not getting all right kinds of sleep.

Just my random thoughts. I sure hope you find out what's wrong and can
get treatment for it. It sounds very frustrating and a bit scary.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 18th 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Enfilade" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad you already have plans to see a doctor. This strikes me as very
serious since you say you have had these symptoms for more than a year and
the crazy schedule is short-term. On the other hand (at the risk of giving
advice when you may notwant any -- if so, you obviously just ignore it):
From what you have written, it sounds like you might be much better off in
your current job. Despite what you said, you are not "stuck" with the new
job. You were just hired, and you can tell them that you have decided that
you made a mistake. Let them know that you love your current job and this
is not a reflection on anyone at the new position. If necessary, offer to
work for two weeks to give them time to find a replacement. It's possible
they can make a fast hire because there were probably other applicants, and
you are newly hired.

Please take care! I wish we could help more.

MaryL

Old July 18th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

wrote in message
Enfilade wrote:

[...]

My gran had very similar symptoms to these. I thought she was heading
for/had a minor stroke. Called out doctor and he diagnosed a urine
infection. A course of anti biotics and she was as right as rain.

Sharon