Help! Feral Cat in Attic for 3 Days

Old May 2nd 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
gfc

Default Help! Feral Cat in Attic for 3 Days

I have a feral cat that was give to me by a humane society volunteer.
I have had her for 4 years and have never been able to put a hand on
her. For 3 and a half of those four years she has been an indoor
cat. Tuesday at noon I came home from work and found that somehow the
cats had opened the door to the attic and got inside. I was able to
get all of them to come out except this one. On Wednesday a friend of
mine came by and crawled through the junk, boxes, insulation, etc and
saw the cat hiding where the roof and the wall meet. Yesterday we
emptied the attic, removed most of the insulation and I paid someone
to come in and removed three planks from the floor to see if she was
underneath, but there was no sign of her under the attic floor. Last
night I set a trap, but , again, there is no sign of the cat and the
food including the trail I made to the trap, is undisturbed. I don't
think there are any passages to the outside, otherwise I would
probably have had wildlife come in before now. Of course, the firemen
will not come out and neither will the humane society. I called the
Penisnula Humane Society yesterday and they told me that they don't
come out unless they can "see" the cat and they also told me that
their officers are not allowed to go into attics and crawl spaces. I
want to do something for this poor cat because time is running out,
but I don't know what else I can do. She's been in there for three
days now with no food or water. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank
you.
Old May 2nd 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"gfc" wrote in message
[...]

Stop leaving food and wait for her to come out.

Old May 2nd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I wish I had some helpful suggestions. I guess I'd keep the trap out with
food in it. She's got to be hungry by now and you'd think she would go into
the trap. But from the sounds of it, the fact that after 4 years you still
can't put a hand on her, she must be one tough cat.

S.
---

Old May 2nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
gfc

On May 2, 10:00*am, "blkcatgal" wrote:
I wish I had some helpful suggestions. *I guess I'd keep the trap out with
food in it. *She's got to be hungry by now and you'd think she would go into
the trap. *But from the sounds of it, the fact that after 4 years you still
can't put a hand on her, she must be one tough cat.

S.

Yes, that's what everyone told me to do including the humane society.
What worries me is that not even the trail has been disturbed. I am
afraid that if there is an opening, she may have fallen inside the
wall. I have heard horror stories from contractors and construction
workers. I even tought of having a plumber come by with one of those
drop-down cameras they use and just ask them to look for a cat instead
of a leak.
Thank you for your answer.
gfc
Old May 2nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Have you heard any noise at all either in the attic or inside the walls (I
hope she didn't fall in there!)?? I wonder if you could get someone with
one of those cameras to come out to look for her. I hope you find her soon.

S.

Old May 2nd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
gfc

Thank you for your words of encouragement. No, I have not heard any
noises, but, as a friend pointed out, there were no noises coming from
the attic even between Tuesday and Wednesday night and we did see her
on Wednesday night. So, the fact that there is no noise is not
necessarily an indication that she is not there. This poor cat has
had a sad life and I feel sorry for her. During the last four years
she's had food and shelter with me, but emotionally speaking, her life
is hell. She is terribly frightened of humans and I see the fear in
her eyes every time I walk by. My house is very quiet and if she has
to live with a human, this is probably the best situation for her, but
I know she is far from happy. I would hate for her to have lived a
miserable life and end up dying stuck in a wall.
Later, my friend who was here yesterday is coming back and we are
going to look some more, and tonight my girlfriend, her husband, and a
handyman are coming over. The two guys are used to "construction
situations" and maybe they can spot holes or other hiding places we
missed. It would be nice if the humane society sent out an officer.
I thought this is what they were for.
I will keep you posted, blkcatgal, and let you know if and when she
comes out.
GFC

Old May 3rd 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On May 2, 11:11*am, gfc wrote:
[...]

S."gfc" wrote in message

Good luck. I'm sorry, I hope you find her, poor kitty.

Candace
Old May 3rd 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Make sure you put the stinkiest food in the trap. Let us know what happens.
I sure hope you find her soon.

S.
---

Old May 3rd 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
Make sure you put the stinkiest food in the trap. Let us know what
happens. I sure hope you find her soon.

Can you explain to me why you all think a feral cat that has lived in that
house for
four years, will DIE in the WALLS rather than come out if there is an escape
route?
And there is an escape route, the way she got IN there.

Why isn't the answer to leave the attic door open and leave the food
downstairs?

Old May 3rd 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
gfc

Default Feral Cat in Attic - Update

--
**Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
---"gfc" wrote in message

[...]

S."gfc" wrote in message- Hide quoted text -

Yesterday my friend removed two more boards and we saw her. She is at
the very end of the attic (it runs the whole length of the house)
between the floor and the "subfloor"( that's what I think that's
called) but she will not come out. I talked to the humane society
again and they told me to set two traps, put food in the traps, water
outside the traps, cover the traps, close the attic door (it was
always closed anyway), turn the lights off and just leave her alone.
The PHS person I talked to said that all that noise we made has
probably scared her even more. They told me to check the traps once a
day and if she is not in a trap by Sunday night, to call them back on
Monday morning.
Unfortunately, the attic is huge. I have a Cape Cod style house and
the attic runs the whole length of the house. Where the ouside wall
and the roof join, there are a lot of spaces to craw into and hide.
I'll let you know what happens. Thank you for your concern and your
answers.
gfc

OT - The Raccoon in the Attic Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 8 January 1st 07 01:56 AM
Feral Cat Q. [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 13 July 31st 05 08:36 PM
Feral Cat Day Ron Herfurth Cat rescue 2 November 10th 04 12:56 PM
Luna in the attic space... again Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 6 August 15th 04 03:18 PM
Attic cat Ted Davis Cat anecdotes 7 February 22nd 04 01:59 AM