Hey Phil!!

Old August 30th 05, 12:26 AM
Bet You Missed Me!

Default Hey Phil!!

Boo, age 10, just got her first checkup in a while.

She presented two years ago weighing 16 pounds, with a 300+ heart rate,
which is what signaled us that she had hyperthyroid--unusual but not unheard
of for a fat cat. After we began treating her thyroid the vet expected her
to GAIN weight. Not a good prospect.

Today she weighed in at 12 lbs and had a heart rate of 120 bpm!!! I have to
wait until tomorrow to get the results of her bloodwork, but that heart rate
seems low, especially for a cat that freaks out at the vet. (She howls
piteously the whole time.)

So, I am thinking that maybe we have overcorrected her overactive thyroid?
Do you know if, just as an overactive thyroid causes a fast hr, an
underactive one causes a slower one? And if the numbers come to show this
when the bloodwork is in, does that mean that the vet might adjust her
Tapazole dose and she might then LOSE weight without my cutting her food
back?

So, how did I get her to lose 4 lbs in two years when we actually slowed
down her thyroid a year ago? Just what you told me to do. No free feeding,
no more dry food, just good-quality canned food about 12 hours apart. She
has been getting 6-8 oz per day-- 8 on the days she manages to outfox me and
steal her sister's food when I am not looking!

Thanks for your help, as always!

Old August 30th 05, 01:56 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 29 Aug 2005 07:26:41p, Bet You Missed Me! wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news:1125358020.6515d56c0d6cadad1f996b04c7934b8a@ teranews):

From: "Bet You Missed Me!"

I didn't. Why the fake name, Nancy? rotfl!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 30th 05, 02:00 AM

From: "Bet You Missed Me!"

I didn't. Why the fake name, Nancy? rotfl!

--
Cheryl

She can't post as herself. She's too embarassed. Besides her hubby
and shrink might catch on.

-L.

Old August 30th 05, 02:06 AM

Bet You Missed Me! wrote:
Boo, age 10, just got her first checkup in a while.

She presented two years ago weighing 16 pounds, with a 300+ heart rate,

In this post?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...1?dmode=source

Later in the thread you say she weights 16lbs.

Go away NANCY CARTER MOORE. You already got your skanky ass spanked
once (by karma, for anyone who wants to Google the incident).

-L.

Old August 30th 05, 11:03 AM
Phil P.

"Bet You Missed Me!" wrote in message

So, how did I get her to lose 4 lbs in two years when we actually slowed
down her thyroid a year ago? Just what you told me to do. No free feeding,
no more dry food, just good-quality canned food about 12 hours apart. She
has been getting 6-8 oz per day-- 8 on the days she manages to outfox me

and
steal her sister's food when I am not looking!

Thanks for your help, as always!

"No free feeding, no more dry food, just good-quality canned food about 12
hours apart. She has been getting 6-8 oz per day-"- That's how!

Do you know if, just as an overactive thyroid causes a fast hr,

Absolutely.

an
underactive one causes a slower one?

No. Nevertheless, you should continue to monitor her T-4 levels because they
can change either way. Let me know the results of the bloodwork.

Old August 30th 05, 08:56 PM
Bet You Missed Me!

"Phil P." wrote :

Do you know if, just as an overactive thyroid causes a fast hr,

Absolutely.

an
underactive one causes a slower one?

No.

Well, I guess it was just wishful thinking. I was hoping we might up her
doseso she could lose weight without cutting back on food. This is one
catyou really don't want to **** off.

Nevertheless, you should continue to monitor her T-4 levels because theycan

change either way. Let me know the results of the bloodwork.

I just got the call--her T4 level is 3.0--within the normal range of 0.7 and
3.25. My vet said that since she had been at over 10 one year ago, that he
is happy with 3.0. He also said that increasing the Tapzole dose can risk
kidney damage. Phil, she just looks great! Her fur is so shiny and she is so
feisty. For a fat cat she is really active and does acrobatics with her
evening zoomies that are especially funny to watch because she is err, full
figured.
(Picture the old cartoon hippo in the tutu--but imagine this shiny black
tuxedo with a white nose and paws.) This has been a real success story, and
I owe you and Maurice in particular for pointing out the facts when the one
vet at my vet's office wanted to do surgery. I have re-thought radiocats
because it just seems a lot to put her through--
as long as we can pill her religiously and keep her safe that way, that is
what I want to do. She is just 10 now, so there is still time if the
Tapazole stops adequately controlling the hyperthyroid to do the radiation
cure if
we need to.

Thanks again, my friend. It is great to have your knowledge to rely upon.