Dry Pet Food Linked to Salmonella in Kids

Old September 18th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default Dry Pet Food Linked to Salmonella in Kids

"Char" from rpd.health wrote
sighthounds & siberians wrote:

(snippies)

You can avoid all of this by switching to a more species appropriate
diet of real meat, bones and organ meats. You don't have to use flavor
enhancers to get them to eat it, they love it! Cats can be a little
stubborn to switch over but it's totally possible. Dogs usually take to
it right away with little problems.

My cat has flat-out refused to switch. She gets as much canned food
as she wants, so I'm not going to push it.

Cats have to go slower in switching. First the move from kibble to canned.
Then switch to carb free canned, then switch to raw. Some cats take a
week, some take many months. There is an excellent group for support for
moving cats to more appropriate diets at
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WholeCatHealth/

Rosemary is a genius when it comes to cats.

Char, stick to dogs. You don't even have a cat as far as I know. Advising
a cat owner on how to swap (if he wants to pursue that) is better done in
the RPC.anecdotes which I added to this thread as it is relevant. S&S, *if*
you want some help and desire to swap your kitty to canned more fully, join
that group where it's totally on topic and there are many people who can
help.

Old September 18th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

cshenk wrote:
[...]

I find the thread title confusing! Whether or not dry pet food is a
source of salmonella, who feeds it to their KIDS?
Old September 18th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"hopitus" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Char" from rpd.health wrote

Char, stick to dogs. You don't even have a cat as far as I know. Advising

Crossposted references to kids and/or dogs newsgroups re salmonella,
I was confused enough by the whole "egg" thing previously, and will
therefore not attempt to understand reason for this 411 message to someone
named
Char somewhere else.

Lol, she;s trying to tell a guy to rawfeed a cat and how to do it when she
doesn't have one. He's just looking at a cat that isnt overly fond of
canned wet.

Old September 18th 10, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
I find the thread title confusing! Whether or not dry pet food is a
source of salmonella, who feeds it to their KIDS?

Well it's cheaper than Halloween candy. Um.... or so I've HEARD (grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old September 18th 10, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

hopitus wrote:
On Sep 18, 1:12 pm, Mark Edwards wrote:
No cluons were harmed when EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I find the thread title confusing! Whether or not dry pet food is a
source of salmonella, who feeds it to their KIDS?

Well it's cheaper than Halloween candy. Um.... or so I've HEARD (grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Well, Evelyn, I purposely omitted any perspective on some special
kibble
giving *kids* salmonella & you are not the Lone Ranger on being
confused
by that part.
However, FYI and Mark as well....that dude Shaggy who hangs with
Scooby
eats Scooby-snacks right along with the dog. So who knows who eats
what?
I have sniffed Snaggly's treats and let's just say they are not a
tasty turn-on
to my taste buds. Urk

I had a small child visiting me once, and since she liked cats, I
encouraged her to see how well Mandy (now RB) knew her name by calling
her and holding out a cat treat. Mandy was no fool, and came right away,
naturally. After doing this a while, the child asked me why Mandy liked
the cat treats so much. I said, without thinking about it much, 'I
suppose they taste good'. 'But they don't taste good' said the child,
and after a second something clicked in my head and I asked her how she
knew.

Yup, she'd taste-tested the cat treats!

Cheryl

--
Cheryl
Old September 19th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Mosey =^..^=" wrote

Um, not to be ignorant, but WHY would a Kid eat dry pet food?
Love, Kyla

Heheh kids will be kids! There actualy was a salmonella scare of a bit over
pet food because of toddlers grabbing a snackie from the dog food bowl.
Dogs and cats are much more tolerant of this than people so I guess it went
un noted.

Old September 21st 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mosey =^..^=[_7_]

"cshenk"
"Mosey =^..^=" wrote

Um, not to be ignorant, but WHY would a Kid eat dry pet food?
Love, Kyla

Heheh kids will be kids! There actualy was a salmonella scare of a bit
over pet food because of toddlers grabbing a snackie from the dog food
bowl. Dogs and cats are much more tolerant of this than people so I guess
it went un noted.

Oh, okay, thanks for the info
Love
Kyla

Old September 24th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Char

On 9/18/2010 1:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
[...]

I have two cats. One was a feral that has never eaten kibble. I fed his
mom raw till she disappeared and I had to trap the whole litter. The
other is a Maine Coon mix that I switched over to raw which took about a
week.

Advising a cat owner on how to swap (if he wants to pursue that) is
better done in the RPC.anecdotes which I added to this thread as it is
relevant. S&S, *if* you want some help and desire to swap your kitty to
canned more fully, join that group where it's totally on topic and there
are many people who can help.

Which is why I recommended Rosemary's group. There it is totally on
topic and many people who can help.

Old September 24th 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Char

On 9/18/2010 3:10 PM, cshenk wrote:
"hopitus" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Char" from rpd.health wrote

Char, stick to dogs. You don't even have a cat as far as I know.
Advising

Crossposted references to kids and/or dogs newsgroups re salmonella,
I was confused enough by the whole "egg" thing previously, and will
therefore not attempt to understand reason for this 411 message to
someone named
Char somewhere else.

Lol, she;s trying to tell a guy to rawfeed a cat and how to do it when
she doesn't have one. He's just looking at a cat that isnt overly fond
of canned wet.

Why are you lying about me having cats?