Kayla's Tooth

Old May 19th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Kayla's Tooth

I noticed this morning that one of Kayla's top front teeth is broken and
cracked.

No idea how it happened or how long its been that way, and it doesn't seem
to be hurting her.

Does this constitute something to point out to the vet the next time she
goes in, or does it warrant a visit to the vet in its own right?

(For those who don't already know, Kayla isn't a cat but a Border Collie.
I just don't seem able to shut up about her)

Jo

Old May 19th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
I noticed this morning that one of Kayla's top front teeth is broken and
cracked.

No idea how it happened or how long its been that way, and it doesn't seem
to be hurting her.

Does this constitute something to point out to the vet the next time she
goes in, or does it warrant a visit to the vet in its own right?

(For those who don't already know, Kayla isn't a cat but a Border Collie.
I just don't seem able to shut up about her)

Too much stick-fetching perhaps. If it's not bothering her, next time at
TED would be OK.
If it seems to hurt her it warrants a visit in its own right.
You know this, anyway ;-)

Tweed

Old May 19th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
I noticed this morning that one of Kayla's top front teeth is broken and
cracked.

No idea how it happened or how long its been that way, and it doesn't seem
to be hurting her.

Does this constitute something to point out to the vet the next time she
goes in, or does it warrant a visit to the vet in its own right?

(For those who don't already know, Kayla isn't a cat but a Border Collie.
I just don't seem able to shut up about her)

Jo

If Kayla were my critter, I think I'd call the vet and ask for an opinion
over the phone as to whether or not you need to take her in.

Joy

Old May 20th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

On May 19, 12:59 pm, "Jo Firey" wrote:
I noticed this morning that one of Kayla's top front teeth is broken and
cracked.

No idea how it happened or how long its been that way, and it doesn't seem
to be hurting her.

Does this constitute something to point out to the vet the next time she
goes in, or does it warrant a visit to the vet in its own right?

(For those who don't already know, Kayla isn't a cat but a Border Collie.
I just don't seem able to shut up about her)

Jo

I would definitely get it looked at. It is possible it may not be
hurting her, but I still would get it looked at.

Any type of crack is compromising the integral structure of the
tooth. Meaning if there is a crack, like a vertical crack, tartar and
debris will fill it and it could potentially expand. Not to mention
that if chews or if she hits it again, trauma could expand it as
well. And if it keeps getting bigger, it could eventually become
extremely painful.

I once took a dental x-rays of a fractured canine and it showed a
crack all the way to the pulp cavity. Had we not pulled that tooth,
it could have built up tartar and bacteria and eventually rotted from
the inside out.

Fractured teeth....DON'T wanna neglect them....especially on dogs
since its hard to know when she actually cracked the tooth.

And it still is possible that it hurts, maybe just a little bit, but
not to the point where it bothers her. Most people don't believe me
when i tell them that animals are EXPERTS at HIDING PAIN. By the
time we hoomins notice it, the pain level is usually pretty bad. Then
again you have the occasionally animal that hams it up just to get
attention, but I digress,.

Mischief had a FORL, a cavity that was eating away one of her molars.
Had to be terribly painful, yet I never would have noticed had I not
periodically checked her teeth every once in a while. She was still
eating like a glutton, and acting like the pain in the ass she is, so
no one would have guessed.

So from a vet tech standpoint and from the standpoint of someone who
grew up in a dental family...(:P) I would get it looked at.

Hugs,

kristi
Old May 20th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bettina

On 19 Mai, 21:59, "Jo Firey" wrote:
I noticed this morning that one of Kayla's top front teeth is broken and
cracked.

No idea how it happened or how long its been that way, and it doesn't seem
to be hurting her.

Does this constitute something to point out to the vet the next time she
goes in, or does it warrant a visit to the vet in its own right?

(For those who don't already know, Kayla isn't a cat but a Border Collie.
I just don't seem able to shut up about her)

Jo

When Mohrchen got his eye surgery they did a thorough check-up while
he was sleeping and found
three of his canines severly cracked, one of them halfbroken. The vet
stated that this cat must have had lots of pain as the nerve lay free.
( Mohrchen moved in after having led a boss-life here in the little
village for years). This guy(Mohrchen) didn`t show any signs of pain.
Some cats don`t show their pain. So maybe it would better to get that
teeth x-rayed. If the nerve is open it is awfully painful.

Bettina

Old May 31st 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
I noticed this morning that one of Kayla's top front teeth is broken and
cracked.

No idea how it happened or how long its been that way, and it doesn't
seem to be hurting her.

Does this constitute something to point out to the vet the next time she
goes in, or does it warrant a visit to the vet in its own right?

(For those who don't already know, Kayla isn't a cat but a Border Collie.
I just don't seem able to shut up about her)

Too much stick-fetching perhaps. If it's not bothering her, next time at
TED would be OK.
If it seems to hurt her it warrants a visit in its own right.
You know this, anyway ;-)

Tweed

Thank you all. Sorry not to update sooner, but the computer died (or was
killed)

Trouble with dogs like BC's is you would be at the vet once a week the way
they insist on getting into scrapes. I try to limit what she fetches to
relatively soft things. But with the kids I'm not always so sure.

(Border's are the only dog, so far as I know that can go in the show ring
with broken teeth and scars. Seem to be an occupational hazard)

I also don't encourage her to jump. Not that it stops her entirely. But I
know what vet bills are like on knees and hips.

This week she had a close encounter with a rose bush. Got the tip of an
ear. I don't normally let her out front where the roses are, but the fence
in back was being replaced and I was at PetCo getting toys. I'm most
grateful it wasn't an eye. Vet has told me not to worry about the nicks and
scratches. That he is amazed at how quickly BC's heal on their own.

I'll watch the tooth for any redness on the gum or any hesitation to grab
things.

Jo