Cheap catfood

Old January 8th 14, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Cheap catfood

I give up- was in the local shop tonight and a little short of cash when I noticed they had "Kit E Cat" pouchies £2 for a box of 12. Now "Kit E Cat" is supposed to be cheap rubbish but I figured it wouldn't do my spoilt pair any harm until tomorrow morning when I'd pick up their more usual Whiskas, Felix or Sheba..

They hoovered it up like it's the best thing they ever tasted! Not a scrap left and bowl dragged around the kitchen whilst they tried to scrape every last morsel of this delicious nectar from it.

I'd be delighted at how much money I could save except I know if I go out and buy a load- the next thing th'll be looking at me going "and what is this cr*p?"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 8th 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I give up- was in the local shop tonight and a little short of
cash when I noticed they had "Kit E Cat" pouchies £2 for a box
of 12. Now "Kit E Cat" is supposed to be cheap rubbish [...]

Apart from the jelly version of Sheba, it's the only kind of
catfood we can still buy in local supermarkets that all our
cats can tolerate. Chloe gets appalling diarrhoea from any
food with cereals in it (she seems to be gluten-intolerant)
and Butcher's Choice makes both her and Marblecake throw up.
Every other brand that the Co-Op or Lidl sell has had gluten-
containing grain added to it in the last few years.

Old January 9th 14, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:52:54 +0000, Jack Campin
wrote:

I give up- was in the local shop tonight and a little short of
cash when I noticed they had "Kit E Cat" pouchies £2 for a box
of 12. Now "Kit E Cat" is supposed to be cheap rubbish [...]

Apart from the jelly version of Sheba, it's the only kind of
catfood we can still buy in local supermarkets that all our
cats can tolerate. Chloe gets appalling diarrhoea from any
food with cereals in it (she seems to be gluten-intolerant)
and Butcher's Choice makes both her and Marblecake throw up.
Every other brand that the Co-Op or Lidl sell has had gluten-
containing grain added to it in the last few years.

I guess I'm lucky so far in that none of my cats seem to get sick
frome eating various fancy feasts. But they always dislike whatever I
buy the most of, even if they loved it last time.
Old January 9th 14, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
I give up- was in the local shop tonight and a little short of cash when I
noticed they had "Kit E Cat" pouchies £2 for a box of 12. Now "Kit E Cat"
is supposed to be cheap rubbish but I figured it wouldn't do my spoilt pair
any harm until tomorrow morning when I'd pick up their more usual Whiskas,
Felix or Sheba..

They hoovered it up like it's the best thing they ever tasted! Not a scrap
left and bowl dragged around the kitchen whilst they tried to scrape every
last morsel of this delicious nectar from it.

I'd be delighted at how much money I could save except I know if I go out
and buy a load- the next thing th'll be looking at me going "and what is
this cr*p?"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
--------

Kit E Kat is made by the same firm that make Whiskas and it also doesn't
have sugar in. It's fine but it has bigger chunks in. Boyfie prefers the
smaller chunks. FGS, he has good teeth, he can chew it fine!
I'd grab it while you can.
If they refuse it in a week, I would offer them the option of eating it or
going without. Providing they are well, of course.
I will go to the end of the earth to find food that a sick cat or dog will
eat but if they are well and decide they would prefer something *nicer* and
refuse a perfectly good meal, then they go without until the next day. I
don't do "picky about my food* and never have.
Boyfie eats every nice cat food I provide. He did try it once when KFC was
ill and he got into her chicken breast and he wanted it for himself forever,
but I said NO. Then he got the mardies and said "I won't eat anything
except chicken breast" and then I said "you're going to be a bit hungry
then.."

Tweed

Old January 10th 14, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

dgk wrote:

I guess I'm lucky so far in that none of my cats seem to get sick
frome eating various fancy feasts. But they always dislike whatever I
buy the most of, even if they loved it last time.

Isn't that the truth! (It's almost as if they can read the price tags
telepathically when you buy it.)
Old January 10th 14, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

If they refuse it in a week, I would offer them the option of eating it or
going without. Providing they are well, of course.
I will go to the end of the earth to find food that a sick cat or dog will
eat but if they are well and decide they would prefer something *nicer* and
refuse a perfectly good meal, then they go without until the next day. I
don't do "picky about my food* and never have.

Right on! (Same treatment you give kids when they decide they don't
like what's being served.) I grew up during the Great Depression - we
ate what was put on the table, or went without. That's just the way
things were, and we survived just fine. (Also able to eat anything
considered fit for human consumption.)
Old January 13th 14, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:39:22 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I give up- was in the local shop tonight and a little short of cash when
I noticed they had "Kit E Cat" pouchies £2 for a box of 12. Now "Kit E
Cat" is supposed to be cheap rubbish but I figured it wouldn't do my
spoilt pair any harm until tomorrow morning when I'd pick up their more
usual Whiskas, Felix or Sheba..

They hoovered it up like it's the best thing they ever tasted! Not a
scrap left and bowl dragged around the kitchen whilst they tried to
scrape every last morsel of this delicious nectar from it.

I'd be delighted at how much money I could save except I know if I go
out and buy a load- the next thing th'll be looking at me going "and
what is this cr*p?"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I remember when I was a child (1960s)my grandmother had a cat, Tish,(died
the same day as my grandmother although my grandmother had been in
hospital for a year and Tish was living with a neighbour) anyway I
digress, Tish was fed on Kitekat. Boy did it smell of fish in those days.
Tish lived to be 18 years old, seemed to suit her and I don't think it
would have been as good quality as it is now. She was the first cat I
loved.

Judith

Judith

I don't know that there is really a measurable life difference between
feeding crappy cat food like 9 lives or Friskees and something much
better and more expensive like Wellness or the like. Obviously if a
cat needs a special diet, that's one thing, but just in general? I
know so many cats that lived long lives with crappy food, and mine it
high quality food and tend to die fairly young. But it's all
statistics so who can tell.
Old January 13th 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:49:54 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Rusty (RB) ate all the different kinds of cat food I fed him over the years, even one that got him sick. When he turned 2, he was put on prescription food
for the rest of his life.
We switched many different brands and kinds of prescription food
because of changes in his medical condition. He ate them all without complaint. Didn't matter whether it was dry or canned.
With one prescription food that he really liked, he got into the storage bin
and chewed through the plastic bag to get to it.
The only time he won't eat was when he was sick and lost his appetite.
No amount of coaxing would get him to eat.
That was when I got really worried, as it was so unusual for him.

Winnie
Old January 13th 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,

I remember when I was a child (1960s)my grandmother had a cat, Tish,(died
the same day as my grandmother although my grandmother had been in
hospital for a year and Tish was living with a neighbour) anyway I
digress, Tish was fed on Kitekat. Boy did it smell of fish in those days.
Tish lived to be 18 years old, seemed to suit her and I don't think it
would have been as good quality as it is now. She was the first cat I
loved.

Judith

And I remember finding a cat with kittens on a local allotment when I was
probably 12 or 13 and used my spending money on Kit-e-Kat to feed them.
I have no idea what happened to them and didn't tell my mother what happened
to my money.
In the 60's it would be unusual if a cat was spayed or neutered. The boys
fought and got injured and the girls got pregnant and often their kittens
were drowned.
That's like it was.
For my Pooey Pruie, the cat of my childhood, who I've never forgotten. He
never got the snip, too old when he arrived, under the hedge. dying but I
managd to get my mum to adopt him. he loved me and I loved him
OK, he pooed in my shoes, but maybe it was not a good idea to keep him in
overnight. My mother was not best pleased about that.
He was more than grumpy, probably because he was injured most of the time
from fighting, but he used to wait for me coming home from school and let me
pick him up to take him into the house.

May I meet you again at the Bridge, Pruie.

Tweed

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old January 13th 14, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Well they're still giving every sign of enjoying it I notice the chunks are a bit smaller so they seem to pick them up more- if they're happy to eat it then I'm happy they're happy and it's saving me a few pennies