Where's Tweed?

Old June 22nd 16, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Windows 10 (WAS: Where's Tweed?

On 6/21/2016 5:05 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:49:12 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:
Download "Never 10." That way if/when
you feel like it you can *choose* to upgrade. Me, I use Win7 and it
ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it.

But DON'T forget, the free upgrade to Win10 is ONLY free
until late July.

And it's highly likely that programs will soon become
Win10 or better before they'll install.

MS has made that claim for years, every time they come out with a
new/updated browser. However, I have a number of programs that are many
years old, and all of them have continued to work fine through several
versions of MS. There may be some that really won't work, but I have
not encountered any problems.

MaryL

Old June 22nd 16, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default Where's Tweed?

On 6/22/2016 5:15 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 6/21/2016 3:10 PM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Jill wrote:

Agreed. I'm glad to hear she and Boyfie are fine. I wonder what

that
computer operating system it is that won't allow her to subscribe

to a
news server?

Well, I could have done, but I didn't trust the laptop - which is

good as it
got the windows 10 update and then exploded, which is not so good.

It's now
in the computer shop, and its not good news. Hard drive is shot.

Luckily I
maintained my e-mail and Usenet on here, my old XP desktop. Which

cannot do
facebook any more :-( and not much else really. Every time I

google it says
"you are using an outdated browser" I can't argue about that,

really. And
the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not fine

but because
they want us to buy new versions.

Amen. Everyone thinks I'm some kind of Luddite because I own electronic
gadgets that are more than 3 years old. So because I'm not in lockstep
with the mandate that we must all buy new expensive stuff every couple of
years, people think I'm intimidated by new technology? No, I just choose
to keep using something that is perfectly usable.

I will confess to a certain amount of laziness - there ways I prefer to
use my time other than learning a new device every couple of months. If
we're supposed to upgrade each device every 18 months, I figure that with
all the devices we use, there's always something new to be preoccupied
with.
No thanks. It's fun to get a new toy, I can't argue with that. I just
don't
need new toys constantly!

So don't call me a technophobe. I'm lazy and cheap, that's all. Those
are flaws I can live with.

anything bad to your hard drive? I'm puzzled by that.)

My desktop computer (used most of the time) is 5 years old, and my
laptop is even older. They work fine, and I am not interested in
learning Windows 10. I also don't want to waste money on a new system
when both of these computers (and Win 7) work fine. I know Win 10 is
"free" and Microsoft keeps trying to foist it on us, but I don't want it.

MaryL

I'm with you!
Old June 22nd 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

The New Other Guy wrote:

Bastette wrote:

And the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not
fine but because they want us to buy new versions.

Amen.

Actually, the browser upgrades are usually free.

Just to be clear, I didn't write the above, except for the "Amen."

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman

Tweed pat Chlebowski Cat anecdotes 0 June 3rd 13 02:33 AM
Tweed (OT) Lesley[_4_] Cat anecdotes 9 March 10th 13 09:36 PM
Where are you Tweed? Sharon & Smudgie Cat anecdotes 1 January 10th 13 12:04 PM
Tweed pat Chlebowski Cat anecdotes 2 June 22nd 12 01:25 AM
For Tweed Karen Cat anecdotes 10 January 6th 09 08:27 PM