I do NOT spoil my cats!

Old November 11th 16, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default I do NOT spoil my cats!

On 11/10/2016 1:35 PM, Bastette wrote:
John Kasupski wrote:

Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
obnoxious.

I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what motivates my 14-week old Tabby
kitten to wake me up, but she seems to decide to do so about 50% of the time,
with my bladder doing the honors the remainder of the time.

The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!

My RB cat Roxy used to do this. I'd wake up to her climbing on me, sticking
her nose in my ear and purring loudly (well, her purr wasn't that loud, but
anything directly in your ear is!), and kneading me through the covers. Then
she'd settle down to sleep there. That was really sweet and not at all
annoying.

Licky wakes me up by sitting on the floor by the bed and yowling loudly. He
doesn't always want the same thing. Usually it just comes down to attention.
He either wants me to pet him (reasonable) or play with him (no way). But
even in the latter case, when I've turned on the light, I see that he has a
toy on the floor in the hope that I'll get up and throw it for him, and it's
so cute that i don't get mad. However, he usually ends up outside the
bedroom with the door closed. He doesn't try to get me to play much anymore
since it has never gotten him results.

Joyce

Your mention of purring in the ear reminded me of Herbie (RB). He was a
little love bug, which is how he got his name. My mother came for a
visit once while he was still fairly young. The next morning she told
me that she had wakened in the night to find that he was curled up on
top of her ear (She was lying on her side), purring loudly. She loved
it! I think he converted her. Before that, she had been strictly a dog
person.
Old November 12th 16, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!

Ours sometimes wake us up (either like that or by stomping all over us),
but more often they put us to bed. Put the lights out and Chloe will
often come up beside me and purr a bedtime story in my ear. Zeke (RB)
used to do the same thing, but he'd first do a health and safety check
of the downie by crawling under it from feet to pillow a couple of times.

Old November 12th 16, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:11:25 -0800, Joy wrote:

Your mention of purring in the ear reminded me of Herbie (RB). He was a
little love bug, which is how he got his name. My mother came for a
visit once while he was still fairly young. The next morning she told
me that she had wakened in the night to find that he was curled up on
top of her ear (She was lying on her side), purring loudly.

I had a kitten named Romper who did that to me years ago. I woke up one Satuday
morning hearing somebody operating a chainsaw, checked the clock on the
nightstand, saw that it was only 8:30 AM, and decided since I was awake now
anyway I'd go look out the window and see who the rude idiot was who was outside
waking people up by running a chainsaw at 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday.

Then I tried, and discovered I couldn't lift my head off the pillow.

Needless to say, it turned out the sound I was hearing wasn't a chainsaw after
all. It was Romper's little motor going full tilt boogie from directly on top of
my left ear, where he was curled up fast asleep.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old November 12th 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:26:16 +0000, Jack Campin wrote:

The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!

Ours sometimes wake us up (either like that or by stomping all over us),
but more often they put us to bed. Put the lights out and Chloe will
often come up beside me and purr a bedtime story in my ear. Zeke (RB)
used to do the same thing, but he'd first do a health and safety check
of the downie by crawling under it from feet to pillow a couple of times.

Yes - I get the same nose-licking at bedtime, but the purring generally doesn't
start until she curls up and gets settled in somewhere next to my feet.

Which reminds me - there's a small rectangular blanket, about 30 inches by
whatever the width of the bed - at the foot end. It's nice and thick and comfy,
and my kitten loves it so much that sometimes the purring begins the instant she
gets all four paws on it. Lots of purring, and kneading. The only other time she
does that is on the large microfiber thermal blanket I have on my living room
sofa - after I saw how much she liked the small one on the bed. I thought she'd
like that one too, and she certainly does! In fact, she's laying over there on
it right now watching me type this and keeps giving me those little "I love you"
kitty eye slow winks when I look over at her.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old November 12th 16, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/12/2016 8:50 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
[...]

I love those slow blinky looks. So sweet!

Jill
Old November 12th 16, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:38:11 -0500, John Kasupski
wrote:

[...]

So he didn't wake the neighbors?
Old November 17th 16, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

John Kasupski wrote:

I had a kitten named Romper who did that to me years ago. I woke up one
Satuday morning hearing somebody operating a chainsaw, checked the clock
on the nightstand, saw that it was only 8:30 AM, and decided since I was
awake now anyway I'd go look out the window and see who the rude idiot
was who was outside waking people up by running a chainsaw at 8:30 in
the morning on a Saturday.

Then I tried, and discovered I couldn't lift my head off the pillow.

For the past several Saturdays in a row, I've been awakened by the sound
of a leaf blower going full force right in front of my building. (I live
in a small apartment building.) They start at 9AM. On a Saturday?? OK, I
know that for some people, getting up at 7AM is "sleeping in," but I am
not one of those people. I'm chronically underslept during the work week,
so I count on the weekends to catch up. Fortunately they're only in front
of the house for a short while, and then I can get back to sleep, provided
I'm not too angry to fall asleep. The first time it happened, I looked
out the front window and saw the guy standing there. And like a complete
idiot, I started banging on the window to get his attention. Never mind
that he was holding a very loud piece of equipment, and was also wearing
sound-blocking headphones - no way was he going to hear me. I banged so
hard that I broke the window. Fortunately there was a screen on the inside,
so I didn't get hurt. Moral: don't act on your anger when you're half
asleep.

Joyce
--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old November 17th 16, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Licky gives me those, too - when he's hoping to get treats.

Joyce
Old November 18th 16, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/16/2016 10:09 PM, Bastette wrote:
[...]

I hear ya! Try living with a golf course behind your house. Big riding
blowers, riding mowers... nearly every day starting around 7AM! Like
you, I don't have to get up on weekends that early. I had to get a
"noise machine" to block out the sounds out back. When the weather is
nice enough to have the windows open, no such luck.

Sorry about your broken window but I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Jill