Cat Collar Question / Cat harness question

Old May 8th 05, 06:48 AM
Suzanne via CatKB.com

Default Cat Collar Question / Cat harness question

How do cats typically react to harnesses. Never thought about it, but have
seen posts about here. Do they try to run away, walk in circles, run from
side to side..I can't imagine them walking in a straight line like a
dog..Just wondering now that the weather is getting warmer, I might want to
add a new dimension to my cat's life.

Also, what is correct tightness of a cat's collar - is there a rule of
thumb, like you should be able to put two fingers under the collar. I have
a stretch collar, but she is starting to really rip it up when she
scratches herself vigorously. I bought a "break-away" collar, but it seems
like I really have to yank it to unleash the grip clip.

Thanks all for help and comments (nice ones, please)

Old May 8th 05, 07:27 AM
Candy Cane

"Suzanne via CatKB.com" wrote in message
How do cats typically react to harnesses. Never thought about it, but have
seen posts about here. Do they try to run away, walk in circles, run from
side to side..I can't imagine them walking in a straight line like a
dog..Just wondering now that the weather is getting warmer, I might want
add a new dimension to my cat's life.

The first time I put a harness on my cat - kitten at the time, she fell over
on her side. I picked her up and her legs crumpled and down she went. I
stood her back up and she fell over again. One would have thought this
harness weighed a ton! :c) Eventually she got used to it.

As far as the walking part went, that went quite well, for the most part.
She trotted along in front of me - like a dog. Occassionally she would dart
off in a mad dash and when she got to the end of the line (I was using one
of those retractable things) she'd come to a screeching halt and flip over.
Poor Matilda!

Eventually I was able to ditch the leash and go for walks around the block
with her loose. On the leash we always only went around the block in one
direction or the other. Off the leash it's the same routine. We go around
and she either follows me or trots ahead of me. Without the leash she is
able to take off at top speed and not worry about screeching to a halt and
flipping over. :c)

I'm not suggesting that people let their cats off the leash, as I know that
not every cat off the leash will go with someone around the block and that
all areas are not safe for cats on the lose. Matilda going around the block
with me without a leash is just the way things turned out.

My suggestion is that you let your cat get used to the harness inside and
then add the leash, go outside and see what happens.

Also, what is correct tightness of a cat's collar - is there a rule of
thumb, like you should be able to put two fingers under the collar. I have
a stretch collar, but she is starting to really rip it up when she
scratches herself vigorously. I bought a "break-away" collar, but it seems
like I really have to yank it to unleash the grip clip.

Two fingers under the collar is correct. I use a stretch collar as I had the
same problem you have with the "break-away" type. When the stretch collars
get worn, I just replace them.

Best wishes to you and your cat!

Judy