Veterinary Dermatology

Old March 31st 05, 01:41 AM
Cheryl

Default Veterinary Dermatology

A friend of mine took her dog to a vet dermatologist today and got
a diagnosis on the first visit. Among many diagnostic tests done, a
fur culture turned up positive for a bacterial infection (which
wasn't even done during all of Shamrock's diagnostics, and I never
knew that test existed). Apparently a bacterial infection can
arise from inhalant allergies like dust, mold, pollen. The
treatment for her dog is a month-long antibiotic course and bathing
just the affected area with a special shampoo, thus not bathing the
whole animal.

Even if a culture of Shamrock's fur is negative for bacterial
infection, this vet does intradermal allergy testing and if one of
the common inhalent (and whatever else they test for) allergens is
positive, they have great results for cats in particular by using
hyposensitization injections that can be done at home. But, it
looks like the first line of defense is to eliminate the allergen,
if possible. It isn't always possible, though.

From their web site on the "allergy" page:
"The cost of allergy testing animals is a fraction of the cost of
human allergy testing, even though the same allergens and expertise
are employed. The allergy injection program, called
hyposensitization, is effective in 75-80 percent of dogs, and 85-90
percent of cats."
http://www.animalskindisease.com

Encouraging!! Wish us luck for this poor cat of mine who's been
affected for all of the 3 years he's been here with me!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old March 31st 05, 02:25 AM
Karen

in article , Cheryl at
wrote on 3/30/05 6:41 PM:

[...]

From their web site on the "allergy" page:
"The cost of allergy testing animals is a fraction of the cost of
human allergy testing, even though the same allergens and expertise
are employed. The allergy injection program, called
hyposensitization, is effective in 75-80 percent of dogs, and 85-90
percent of cats."
http://www.animalskindisease.com

Encouraging!! Wish us luck for this poor cat of mine who's been
affected for all of the 3 years he's been here with me!

That is exciting! I will send mega purrs they can figure this out!!

Old March 31st 05, 02:45 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 30 Mar 2005 08:25:35p, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

That is exciting! I will send mega purrs they can figure this out!!

Thanks Karen. This guy is such a case. I can only imagine if he'd
been adopted when he was my foster cat. He's lovable, but he sure has
issues. I hope that Dr Kummel can find the problem and cure it. My
regular vet says that since his problem responds to depo shots that
its an allergy. I don't doubt that at all. If allergy shots can keep
him from getting all of these steroid shots it'll be well worth it.
Oh, and my friends bill for the diagnostics today, plus the ABs (one
I've never heard of) was just over $200. Not bad at all.

Old March 31st 05, 03:02 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 30 Mar 2005 08:56:35p, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Wow. No, very good. When is his apoointment?

I haven't made one yet. My friend gave me the info today, and I only
just had the chance to look at the website. I hope I can get time
tomorrow to call and make an appt. Work has been totally nuts! I
swear, I get home and my brain is so scrambled that I can hardly
string two words together to speak. That is no exaggeration.

Old March 31st 05, 03:06 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 30 Mar 2005 09:02:41p, Cheryl wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

On Wed 30 Mar 2005 08:56:35p, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Wow. No, very good. When is his apoointment?

I haven't made one yet.

Oh, plus they only have weekday appts. up until 6pm, and its almost
impossible to take any time off right now. I have to work Sat so I'm
hoping they'll let me have a little comp time next week.

Old March 31st 05, 08:04 AM
-L.

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

From their web site on the "allergy" page:
"The cost of allergy testing animals is a fraction of the cost of
human allergy testing, even though the same allergens and expertise
are employed. The allergy injection program, called
hyposensitization, is effective in 75-80 percent of dogs, and 85-90
percent of cats."
http://www.animalskindisease.com

Encouraging!! Wish us luck for this poor cat of mine who's been
affected for all of the 3 years he's been here with me!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Hummm...weird. I haven't ever heard of desensitization injections for
animals. Hope you can come up with a treatment plan that works!

-L.

Old April 1st 05, 02:11 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 31 Mar 2005 02:04:41a, -L. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

Hummm...weird. I haven't ever heard of desensitization
injections for animals. Hope you can come up with a treatment
plan that works!

Yeah, me either. I'm going to call once his skin breaks out again. He
just had a depo shot a little less than a month ago.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Member #23694
Betty Street Team