BW--Spring Outing--long

Old March 30th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default BW--Spring Outing--long

After the big snow storm, the weather got real nice. Some of the snow
is still out there; but the air has that warm softness you find only
in the spring. So I decided to take the cats out one at a time on the
harness.

(side note: when I first got the harnesses a few years ago, I took
all three cats out at once. That was a disaster. Not only because
there were three cats; it was because they were convinced the
harnesses had them tied to the ground. When they would move, it was
only at a dead run in opposite directions!)

Jeff has been good about training Robin to the leash, taking him out
occasionally. But it has been a couple months. So I thought I would
start with him. I found him asleep on the porch snuggled up on the
wool blanket. I slipped the harness on him, as he raised his head
groggily.

I gently tugged the harness and asked him if he wanted to go outside.
He just looked at me like "what you up to, slave?" So, hanging onto
the leash and stretching my arms, I reached the door and opened it a
bit. Now he was looking interested; but he still didn't believe me
since I have been so assiduous at keeping him away from the door when
I let the dog in and out. So I hit the door and got a good swing on
it.

As it went wide, Robin came alive and hit the road, so to speak. He
zipped out the door like he was afraid I might close it on him. In the
process, he jerked me along. I stumbled out the door barely able to
get it closed as he dragged me down the sidewalk. Then I almost
stepped on him as he came to a dead stop to sniff at a suspicious
grass plant.

I swear he sniffed and tasted each grass plant under the honeysuckle
bush. Then he was off again. Every dried weed and tree trunk had to be
thoroughly sniffed. Sometimes his tail would bottle up and sometimes
he would rub a spot with his body. Oh, the stories he was reading! We
do have a resident feral tomcat. And then there is all the wildlife,
like bunnies and little rodents, with an occasional skunk. Sometimes I
wish I could read scent language.

He led me out back where I could watch the Red-shafted Flicker hammer
out a nest hole in the dead cottonwood. And that is where Robin was
headed; at the bottom of the tree is a messy thicket of country roses,
full of thorns. Every cat knows a thicket is prime ground for birds
and rodents. But I was not getting into it and I wasn't letting him
with his harness into it.

So ensued the great tug of war! I know I have gotten a lot weaker with
old age; but that cat is dang strong! He weighs at least 15 pounds;
probably more. But I got a good grip on the harness and planted my
feet solidly and then tried to sugar talk him. Hmph! They say cats
can't taste sweet. Maybe that is why sugar talking doesn't work. So we
had a stalemate.

He finally flopped down and proceeded to soak up some sun. He did look
comfy; if you didn't look at his laid back ears and the tip of his
tail! So I got a good view of the Flicker while Robin was pouting. But
he soon got bored and got up. Then we had another vigorous trek across
the yard, sniffing things and nibbling grass.

We finally got back to the house and I thankfully went in and rested.
But the lure of the spring weather called. So I got Djoser's red
harness and leash and went looking for him. I found him fast asleep
covered up in my blankets. He does love a hidden nest. I managed to
slip the harness on him before he got fully awake; even though Robin
was playing with the end of the leash.

I carried him towards the door and had my son hang onto Robin while I
slipped out. I set Djoser down in a nice patch of grass; whereupon, my
elderly, portly puddy-tat transformed into a sleek Black Panther! The
smell of the wild mesmerized him so he didn't even feel the harness.
He had a good time slipping through the jungle of dried grass and
weeds and patches of green grass.

At one point a gust of wind swirled and sent a large dried cottonwood
leaf rolling toward him. He poufed and jumped into the air. But when
he came down, he was the Black Panther after game. He quickly caught
and killed his prey. No meat to it, so he lost interest.

On the other side of the house he found a little patch of green that
was very interesting. He settled down and munched and dug in the turf
and munched some more. Then he rolled in it. I looked but saw only a
bit of green. Maybe something related to catnip.

He wanted to get into the chokecherry thicket; but I was firm with
him. There are no thorns; but there are a lot of little trunks to get
tangled in. After a lot of grass nibbling and sniffing, we got back to
the house.

I rested some more. I was really getting my exercise. I finally told
myself I might as well get Sheba out while I am doing outings. So I
get her harnessed up and carry her out to the fenced-in flower bed and
let her go. She immediately remembered the lilacs as the place where
she used to ambush wrens a few years ago.

Then a robin landed on a fence post. Maybe it is the bold one that
would sit and wait for me to water things so the earthworms would come
up. Sheba spotted it and made a sudden rush. The robin flew and Sheba
complained to me. Hey, I didn't scare it away. Then a big fly buzzed
her face and she moved fast. Chomp, chomp. Smack lips! EWWW!

Then she settled down in the sun to wash a bit. Everything was warm
and peaceful. Then we spotted movement under the juniper trees. It was
a ring-necked pheasant!

(side note: we have a dingdang hunt club a few miles away. They ship
in game birds which they keep in cages until the hunt. Everytime they
have a hunt some of the birds get away from the hunters and some make
their way here. We feed them cracked corn. I reckon some end up as
coyote food. But I would rather the coyotes get them than the
dingdang hunters.)

So Sheba sees and smells the pheasant. Oh, boy! Chicken on the hoof!
she thinks. She points her nose and moves like a juggernaut towards
the bird. She never saw the chicken wire fence until her nose hit it.
She shrieks--the pheasant shrieks and takes off--Sheba tries to climb
the fence, all the time sounding off! I manage to grab her with her
clawing and fighting to get over the fence and her yelling at me that
her chicken is getting away!

I finally get her to the house and give her some treats to try to calm
her down. She eats them grudgingly, all the time growling and
complaining that I let her chicken get away! Sorry, Sheba. So, humbly,
I go and put some bandaids on my battle wounds. She was mad at me the
rest of the evening.

--
CATherine
Old March 30th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CATherine wrote:
After the big snow storm, the weather got real nice. Some of the snow
is still out there; but the air has that warm softness you find only
in the spring. So I decided to take the cats out one at a time on the
harness.

What a lovely description! Thank you Catherine. You had me LOLing and
remembering fond memories of walking Frank and especially Nikki.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 30th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CATherine wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a wonderful adventure.
Suz&Spicey

Old March 31st 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:57:18 +0300, Marina
wrote:

CATherine wrote:
After the big snow storm, the weather got real nice. Some of the snow
is still out there; but the air has that warm softness you find only
in the spring. So I decided to take the cats out one at a time on the
harness.

What a lovely description! Thank you Catherine. You had me LOLing and
remembering fond memories of walking Frank and especially Nikki.

I am happy to know I have stirred fond memories. I hope you get to go
to the island again this year.

--
CATherine
Old March 31st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 30 Mar 2006 05:27:11 -0800, "Suz" wrote:

CATherine wrote:
After the big snow storm, the weather got real nice. Some of the snow
is still out there; but the air has that warm softness you find only
in the spring. So I decided to take the cats out one at a time on the
harness.

Sounds like a wonderful adventure.
Suz&Spicey

We had fun, as well as exercise. Do you ever take Spicey out?

--
CATherine
Old March 31st 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:26:04 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

WHat a lovely recounting of a lovely day.

It was a real nice day and a lot of fun. The first outing of Spring is
always the best. Maybe because winter has been so dreary. I feel
renewed.

--
CATherine
Old March 31st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CATherine wrote:

After the big snow storm, the weather got real nice. Some of the snow
is still out there; but the air has that warm softness you find only
in the spring. So I decided to take the cats out one at a time on the
harness.

(side note: when I first got the harnesses a few years ago, I took
all three cats out at once. That was a disaster. Not only because
there were three cats; it was because they were convinced the
harnesses had them tied to the ground. When they would move, it was
only at a dead run in opposite directions!)

Jeff has been good about training Robin to the leash, taking him out
occasionally. But it has been a couple months. So I thought I would
start with him. I found him asleep on the porch snuggled up on the
wool blanket. I slipped the harness on him, as he raised his head
groggily.

snip
--
CATherine

It's so nice to see you back with us, CATherine!
Best wishes for you, Jeff and the kitties,
Polonca and Soncek

Old April 1st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:03:38 +0200, polonca12000
wrote:

CATherine wrote:

After the big snow storm, the weather got real nice. Some of the snow
is still out there; but the air has that warm softness you find only
in the spring. So I decided to take the cats out one at a time on the
harness.

It's so nice to see you back with us, CATherine!
Best wishes for you, Jeff and the kitties,
Polonca and Soncek

Thanks for the welcome. It feels good to be creative and participating
again.

--
CATherine