I gave Persia my Poncho

Old March 12th 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I gave Persia my Poncho

I was going through closets looking for items to donate to the Salvation
Army or AmVets. I came across a plaid wool (probably not) poncho with
fringe on the edges. (Can you say 1970's? It was mine, but I can't believe
my mom kept it all those years.) Persia likes to hang out on the bed in the
guest room. So I took the poncho in there and set it next to her on the
bed. The first thing she did was grab at the fringe! Oooh, look! Yes,
Persia. It's a soft snuggly blanket-like thing with built-in toys

Jill

Old March 12th 12, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:00:05 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
I was going through closets looking for items to donate to the Salvation
Army or AmVets. I came across a plaid wool (probably not) poncho with
fringe on the edges. (Can you say 1970's? It was mine, but I can't believe
my mom kept it all those years.) Persia likes to hang out on the bed in the
guest room. So I took the poncho in there and set it next to her on the
bed. The first thing she did was grab at the fringe! Oooh, look! Yes,
Persia. It's a soft snuggly blanket-like thing with built-in toys

Jill

I know how that is. My old winter coat had finally given up the ghost, so I put it on my sewing table, so I could remove the zipper before throwing the rest out. Princess Rita has decided that she loves sleeping on that coat, so I removed the zipper, but it's still there for her.

They rule our lives with iron paws, don't they?

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old March 12th 12, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jane wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Persia likes to hang out on the bed in the
guest room. So I took the poncho in there and set it next to her on the
bed. The first thing she did was grab at the fringe! Oooh, look! Yes,
Persia. It's a soft snuggly blanket-like thing with built-in toys

I know how that is. My old winter coat had finally given up the ghost, so I put it on my sewing table, so I could remove the zipper before throwing the rest out. Princess Rita has decided that she loves sleeping on that coat, so I removed the zipper, but it's still there for her.

That's a fine way to "repurpose" the coat.

What do you do with the zipper? Just keep it around until you need it
for something else?

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old March 13th 12, 10:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Monday, March 12, 2012 3:25:40 PM UTC-4, Bastette wrote:
Jane wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Persia likes to hang out on the bed in the
guest room. So I took the poncho in there and set it next to her on the
bed. The first thing she did was grab at the fringe! Oooh, look! Yes,
Persia. It's a soft snuggly blanket-like thing with built-in toys

I know how that is. My old winter coat had finally given up the ghost, so I put it on my sewing table, so I could remove the zipper before throwing the rest out. Princess Rita has decided that she loves sleeping on that coat, so I removed the zipper, but it's still there for her.

That's a fine way to "repurpose" the coat.

What do you do with the zipper? Just keep it around until you need it
for something else?

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

Yes. I had just replaced the zipper in that coat when it died altoghether, so the zipper was fairly new and unused. It just went back into my stock. I keep a large stock of notions in my sewing room - buttons, zippers, elastics, and lace, just in case it ever comes in handy.

Old March 13th 12, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Jane wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Persia likes to hang out on the bed in the
guest room. So I took the poncho in there and set it next to her on
the
bed. The first thing she did was grab at the fringe! Oooh, look!
Yes,
Persia. It's a soft snuggly blanket-like thing with built-in toys

I know how that is. My old winter coat had finally given up the ghost,
so I put it on my sewing table, so I could remove the zipper before
throwing the rest out. Princess Rita has decided that she loves
sleeping on that coat, so I removed the zipper, but it's still there for
her.

That's a fine way to "repurpose" the coat.

What do you do with the zipper? Just keep it around until you need it
for something else?
--
Joyce

I don't sew; I wouldn't need a zipper for something else. For this pancho,
with a really tight zipper around the neck/shoulders, I merely zipped it up
and left it as is. Persia's not going to try to unzip it. She's clever,
but clever means she doesn't care unless it's a soft spot to sleep on.

Jill

Old March 14th 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jane" wrote in message
Yes. I had just replaced the zipper in that coat when it died altoghether,
so the zipper was fairly new and unused. It just went back into my stock. I
keep a large stock of notions in my sewing room - buttons, zippers,
elastics, and lace, just in case it ever comes in handy.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
-----------

I do so admire anyone that can sew. I am worse than useless at it, and have
been since I was a child. Needlework classes at school were a nightmare
for me.
I think it's a talent that I will never have..
However, I can build a reasonable hen hut and run, the wild bird nestboxes I
make are always eagerly snapped up by the garden birds to rear their young
in, and I am a quite good cook (she says, modestly)
I suppose you can't be good at everything.

Tweed

Old March 14th 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 03/14/2012 11:00 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Sewing requires good eyesight and nimble fingers. I used to enjoy it a
lot -- now: NO way!
Old March 15th 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jane" wrote in message
Yes. I had just replaced the zipper in that coat when it died altoghether,
so the zipper was fairly new and unused. It just went back into my stock.
I keep a large stock of notions in my sewing room - buttons, zippers,
elastics, and lace, just in case it ever comes in handy.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
-----------

I do so admire anyone that can sew. I am worse than useless at it, and
have been since I was a child. Needlework classes at school were a
nightmare for me. I think it's a talent that I will never have...

Wow, classes sure are different in the UK! We didn't even have sewing
classes in school, much less needlework. There was supposed to be a "home
economics" class in what is now called middle school (used to be junior
high). But the school wasn't finished yet when they started holding
classes. They had no kitchen equipment, no sewing machines, nothing. It
was a wasted hour out of the school day. My grandmother taught me how to
embroider. I used to find doing embroidery relaxing. These days I can't
hold the needle without my hand cramping after just a few minutes It's
hard enough to sew on a button.

I did teach myself how to sew in my teens using very basic patterns for
things like wrap skirts. I even made a jumper once, and a plush bathrobe as
a gift for one of my brothers. I used my mom's old sewing machine. I still
don't know why she had one, she couldn't sew!

However, I can build a reasonable hen hut and run, the wild bird nestboxes
I make are always eagerly snapped up by the garden birds to rear their
young in, and I am a quite good cook (she says, modestly)
I suppose you can't be good at everything.

Tweed

I couldn't build a hen house or bird nestboxes. I am a good cook (something
else my mother didn't really do... she could, but she hated doing it).

Jill

Old March 15th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I do so admire anyone that can sew. I am worse than useless at it, and
have been since I was a child. Needlework classes at school were a
nightmare for me. I think it's a talent that I will never have...

Wow, classes sure are different in the UK! We didn't even have sewing
classes in school, much less needlework.

I'm wondering if by "needlework", Tweed just meant sewing. Might just be
a terminology difference. Over here, needlework usually refers to embroidery,
cross-stich and needlepoint, all of which use thin yarn instead of thread.

There was supposed to be a "home
economics" class in what is now called middle school (used to be junior
high). But the school wasn't finished yet when they started holding
classes. They had no kitchen equipment, no sewing machines, nothing. It
was a wasted hour out of the school day.

That's a shame. On the other hand, my schools (two junior highs and one
high school) had all the equipment they needed, and we still didn't learn
anything remotely related to economics. At least with sewing, I did
learn the basics, and was able to make a lot of my own clothes.

Cooking was another matter - utterly useless. I didn't learn a single thing
about how to cook regular food, how to save money buying groceries, basic
nutritional information, how to prevent spoilage - you know, the things you
*need* to know?

Instead, we made sweets. One time we made fudge. OK, I grant you that
could be useful at times, but I wouldn't teach that in the absence of
more basic skills. Another time we made Russian tea cakes. They were good,
but again, not the most important thing to know. I've never made either item
again in my life. The worst thing we made was some kind of extremely sticky
hard candy, the kind that could rip your fillings right out of your teeth
if you weren't careful. It was lime-flavored and translucent green. Worst
candy ever!

My grandmother taught me how to
embroider. I used to find doing embroidery relaxing. These days I can't
hold the needle without my hand cramping after just a few minutes It's
hard enough to sew on a button.

Sorry to hear that! Is that from arthritis, or something else?

I taught myself a little needlepoint about 10 years ago and made a couple
of items from kits. I don't think I did it right, though, because although
the front looked good, the back was a mess and I don't think it's supposed
to be like that.

I enjoyed doing that, but I don't know how to embroider without the canvas
stuff, that has a grid so you know where the next stitch is supposed to go.
I'd be lost trying to embroider something on an article of clothing, but
would love to be able to do it. What's the secret?

I did teach myself how to sew in my teens using very basic patterns for
things like wrap skirts. I even made a jumper once, and a plush bathrobe as
a gift for one of my brothers. I used my mom's old sewing machine. I still
don't know why she had one, she couldn't sew!

However, I can build a reasonable hen hut and run, the wild bird nestboxes
I make are always eagerly snapped up by the garden birds to rear their
young in, and I am a quite good cook (she says, modestly)
I suppose you can't be good at everything.

Tweed, the one thing we're all allowed to brag about is our cooking skill.
The reason for that is, you *know* when it's good - it's when you enjoy it!
It's hard to judge oneself in most skills because it's hard to be objective.
But when you make something to eat, you're also the "customer", so you get
to have an opinion.

For example, I make wonderful chicken soup. However, I completely suck at
making home brewed coffee. Luckily, I only drink it occasionally, so it's
not such an expensive deficiency.

--
Joyce

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman