File this one under "Not a good cat toy" ;o)

Old March 9th 05, 07:18 PM
Gabey8

Default File this one under "Not a good cat toy" ;o)

Scenario: Several months ago, I won a game-used hockey stick from one of
our local AHL team's players, Ben Eager, in a charity auction. Ben's stats
are he
http://phantomshockey.com/lockerroom...p?PlayerID=222 . As
you can see, he's a BIG kid and the length of the stick reflects that;
it's at least 5'6" in length, I think slightly more. (It's definitely a
few inches taller than I am.)

Said stick is leaning against a wall, in the corner of a room. That corner
also includes a window, and the cord for the miniblinds is dangling down
right next to where the stick is leaning on the wall.

Said stick has been peaceably minding its own business for months. Till
today. Stanley decided that the miniblind cord was a MUST-HAVE cat toy,
and leaped for it. This caused the hockey stick to keel over...
TIMMMM-BERRRRR!... and land heavily on the floor with a resounding
*THUD*.

Stanley went speeding away from that corner with a giant-sized puffy tail
in tow. He ran to me, with big yellow-green eyes staring, in mute appeal
for me to subdue the evil stick. He was less than satisfied with my
admonition of, "Bad kitty. Leave the cord alone". But I did go pick up the
stick... and had to pry the stickblade out from between Captain's teeth,
as he decided that the stick was inviting him to wrestle with it.

Time to figure out how to explain to the resident felines that neither
miniblind cords NOR hockey sticks are good cat toys. ;o)

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old March 9th 05, 07:43 PM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:18:56 -0500, Gabey8 wrote:

[...]

IMHO the mini blind cord could pose a greater hazard -- unless the two
strands hang separately.

Old March 9th 05, 07:45 PM
Katz

Gabey8 wrote:

Oh my! Things that go *thud* in the day. ;o)

Katz

Old March 9th 05, 08:01 PM
Gabey8

[[IMHO the mini blind cord could pose a greater hazard -- unless the two
strands hang separately.]]

True. Fortunately, they are separate, plus there's no easy way to reach it
as the windowsills are only about 2" wide. That's why Stanley had to jump
up, a good 3 feet above the floor, to try and get at the cord --
introducing himself to the hockey stick in the process and making it keel
over.

Still, I would just as soon see him play with his LEGION of cat toys and
leave miniblind cords and hockey sticks in peace. Then again, considering
how loud that THUD was when the stick fell down, maybe we won't have to be
concerned with that issue in the near future. ;o)

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old March 9th 05, 08:11 PM
Karen

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
[...]

I keep my blind cords all tied up high.

Old March 9th 05, 08:26 PM
Helen Miles

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com

But I did go pick up the
stick... and had to pry the stickblade out from between Captain's teeth,
as he decided that the stick was inviting him to wrestle with it.

Time to figure out how to explain to the resident felines that neither
miniblind cords NOR hockey sticks are good cat toys. ;o)///

HRFL Tiger long ago worked out that my hockey sticks were good for
scratching on. They are now more tape than stick!

Helen M

Old March 9th 05, 09:02 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-09, Helen Miles penned:

HRFL Tiger long ago worked out that my hockey sticks were good for
scratching on. They are now more tape than stick!

Eep! Once again, time to thank Oscar for small favors. She likes to sniff at
and even climb into DH's hockey bag (not mine, but maybe that's because I
leave my breezers half-in the bag), but she's yet to develop an interest in
the equipment itself.

On the other hand, she still loves to chew on cardboard, plastic, and
sometimes metal. She's been chewing on a hard plastic "thingie" ... um,
a stand for hanging files ... lately. I'm not sure whether to stop her
or not. It's a cheap, replaceable item, and almost certainly better for
her than if she chose a metal item to chew on.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 10th 05, 01:22 AM
Yoj

[...]