Leave the catnip at the door

Old November 15th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

Default Leave the catnip at the door

Lacey says it is so unfair! She lurves catnip. Last weekend we went to a
catshow and one of the catfood companies had cardboard cat scratchers that
you fill with catnip. So we brought two of them home, filled them with 1/2
the catnip and set it out. Lacey got the first snort....mmmmm, good stuff,
Meowmy. The other three followed and over the next few days we'd find one
or the other of the cats either scratching the cardboard or stretched out
across the cardboard box.

Then suddenly Lacey began sneezing. Hard, body wracking sneezes. Her nose
began running and you could hear a rattly breathing. For several days she
sneezed like that as I scratched my head trying to figure out why she was
suddenly sneezing. Was she getting sick again? Then it occured to me, she
had begun sneezing when I put the catnip out. Could she be allergic to
catnip? She said NOnoNO, Meowmy. Ize lurves de 'nip. Well, I had to give
the idea a try so I took it out of the house. Within 12 hours she had
almost stopped sneezing and by the next day she was cleared up. sigh It
appears I have a cat who is allergic to catnip!

Julie and Lacey

Old November 15th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Julie and Sam wrote:
She said NOnoNO, Meowmy. Ize lurves de 'nip. Well, I had to give
the idea a try so I took it out of the house. Within 12 hours she had
almost stopped sneezing and by the next day she was cleared up. sigh It
appears I have a cat who is allergic to catnip!

Julie and Lacey

Oh, what a cruel fate! Poor Lacey.

Old November 15th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Julie and Sam wrote:

Then suddenly Lacey began sneezing. Hard, body wracking sneezes. Her nose
began running and you could hear a rattly breathing. For several days she
sneezed like that as I scratched my head trying to figure out why she was
suddenly sneezing. Was she getting sick again? Then it occured to me, she
had begun sneezing when I put the catnip out. Could she be allergic to
catnip? She said NOnoNO, Meowmy. Ize lurves de 'nip. Well, I had to give
the idea a try so I took it out of the house. Within 12 hours she had
almost stopped sneezing and by the next day she was cleared up. sigh It
appears I have a cat who is allergic to catnip!

Wow, I've never heard of that. Poor Lacey! For me, that would be like
being allergic to... hmm... CATS!

Joyce
Old November 15th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 00:24:51 -0500, Julie and Sam wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it is catnip DUST rather than the nip. Could you find them some
fresh catnip and give that a try? MLB

Old November 15th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

Perhaps it is catnip DUST rather than the nip. Could you find them some
fresh catnip and give that a try? MLB

I could do that, I've also considered running a controlled trial and
bringing the catnip scratcher back in the house and see if she starts
sneezing again. She's been trying to tell me she's allergic to cardboard
; )

Julie and Lacey

Old November 15th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chakolate

"Julie and Sam" wrote in
:

Within 12 hours she had
almost stopped sneezing and by the next day she was cleared up. sigh
It appears I have a cat who is allergic to catnip!

Maybe she's only allergic to an abundance of catnip. Give her a little
from time to time, she might be all right.

Pi is crazy for the nip but if I give him too much, he becomes paranoid
and erratic. (Yes, I can tell erratic cat behavior from normal cat
behavior.) (No, it's not easy.)

Chak

--
I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
usually make the right decision.

Old November 15th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

Oh that's a really good notion!

Old November 15th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 06:19:25 GMT, Chakolate
wrote:

"Julie and Sam" wrote in
:

Within 12 hours she had
almost stopped sneezing and by the next day she was cleared up. sigh
It appears I have a cat who is allergic to catnip!

Maybe she's only allergic to an abundance of catnip. Give her a little
from time to time, she might be all right.

Pi is crazy for the nip but if I give him too much, he becomes paranoid
and erratic. (Yes, I can tell erratic cat behavior from normal cat
behavior.) (No, it's not easy.)

A catnip overdose makes Scouty even more paranoid than usual... it
also makes her very very sick! (just ask me how I know :P )
Old November 15th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

[...]

Maybe it just needs to be controlled better. Some of our eat nip. Others
have been know to snort it. Usually followed by violent sneezes. Rolling
in the followed by grooming can set off the sneezes too. They just get it
up their noses. I really like it better when we have access to fresh nip.

Jo

patch of fur missing meeee Cat health & behaviour 103 October 28th 06 06:23 PM
patch of fur missing tension_on_the_wire Cat anecdotes 69 October 28th 06 06:23 PM
Wasps and a door stop Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 5 August 9th 06 09:35 PM
Vandal!!! Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 29 November 27th 05 08:57 PM
Effective Cat Door? Markyt Cats - misc 4 May 24th 04 02:23 AM