Choking and vomiting

Old July 3rd 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Doctor

Default Choking and vomiting

Last night our 1 yr old tabby may have choked on and then vomited
a small treat.

What needs to be for follow up?
--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
Old July 3rd 12, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

The Doctor wrote:
Last night our 1 yr old tabby may have choked on and then vomited
a small treat.

What needs to be for follow up?

Cats can't chew. All their teeth are for tearing. So, it is best if you cut
up their food into bite sized pieces. They sometimes try to swallow stuff
that is really too large to go down smoothly.....

Old July 3rd 12, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Doctor

In article ,
Bill Graham wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
Last night our 1 yr old tabby may have choked on and then vomited
a small treat.

What needs to be for follow up?

Cats can't chew. All their teeth are for tearing. So, it is best if you cut
up their food into bite sized pieces. They sometimes try to swallow stuff
that is really too large to go down smoothly.....

I will recall that for all treats he nibbles on.
Old July 4th 12, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:33:26 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

The Doctor wrote:
Last night our 1 yr old tabby may have choked on and then vomited
a small treat.

What needs to be for follow up?

Cats can't chew. All their teeth are for tearing. So, it is best if you cut
up their food into bite sized pieces. They sometimes try to swallow stuff
that is really too large to go down smoothly.....

Hmm. My cat chews her kibble every day.

She chews on her soft treats, too.
Old July 4th 12, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

The Doctor wrote:
Last night our 1 yr old tabby may have choked on and then vomited
a small treat.

What needs to be for follow up?

Cats can't chew. All their teeth are for tearing. So, it is best if
you cut up their food into bite sized pieces. They sometimes try to
swallow stuff that is really too large to go down smoothly.....

Hmm. My cat chews her kibble every day.

She chews on her soft treats, too.

No, she tries to bite them into two pieces perhaps, but this isn't really
chewing. You need molars to chew properly, and cats have no molars.

Old July 5th 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

"Bill Graham" wrote:

We have an old one, with no teeth at all.... We try to feed
him just the ground up stuff, or wet food that is shredded
into very small pieces to make it as easy for him as
possible..... You can also pour warm chicken broth on the
kibbles and make a kind of mash for them to eat. They like
this, but try to find a broth that isn't too salty.....

I have an 18½-yr-old who has three canines and one premolar left. He
has no trouble eating kibble and considers it an affront if I try to
feed him kibble that has been adulterated in any way.
--

Wayne M.
Old July 5th 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

"Bill Graham" wrote:

No, she tries to bite them into two pieces perhaps, but
this isn't really chewing. You need molars to chew
properly, and cats have no molars.

You're right as to function, but wrong as to nomenclature. Although a
carnivore has no grinding teeth, its rear teeth are still properly
designated as premolars and molars.
--

Wayne M.
Old July 6th 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Wayne Mitchell wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote:

No, she tries to bite them into two pieces perhaps, but
this isn't really chewing. You need molars to chew
properly, and cats have no molars.

You're right as to function, but wrong as to nomenclature. Although a
carnivore has no grinding teeth, its rear teeth are still properly
designated as premolars and molars.

Yes... Old cats frequently lose many of their teeth. And, since they are
very good at hiding their suffering, they must suffer greatly. We had one
who developed mouth cancer, and by the time she stopped eating, it was way
too late for us to do anything about it, so we had to put her down. We now
have one who is about 17 years old, and he is missing most of his
teeth...( The vet pulled all the bad ones about 10 years ago) But he will
eat anything we cut up for him, since he started out life as a feral cat and
was accustomed to robbing garbage cans and eating dog kibbles the first few
years of his life.