A question about feeding canned food...

Old September 14th 04, 10:16 PM
jamie

Steve Crane wrote:

Here's the decision you must make.
Do I feed a food with excesses of phosphorus in order to justify some
other emotional need/desire/preference I have, even when that
need/desire/preference cannot be proven to show any benefit?

According to the lists at
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html
The chicken, turkey, chicken & herring, and turkey & salmon
flavors of Wellness don't have significantly more phosphorus
than most of the varieties of Science Diet. The mixed seafood
flavors have more, but so do a few of the Science Diet dry varieties.

My cats (now 13 and 17) were on Science Diet dry most of their lives,
until LeMieux was diagnosed diabetic in January. They ate Adult
Maintenance for many years, and then Sensitive Stomach. (a 20 lb
bag's worth of Lite and Senior at different periods caused them both
to get noticably fatter, and develop large amounts of dander.)

LeMieux (13) maintains normal bg (80 to 115) on Wellness canned.
I tried Science Diet and Iams canned kitten food for several weeks
(recommended by the vet as low-carb) when LeMieux was first diagnosed,
but while they enjoyed both as a new treat for the first week or so,
after that they both sniffed it when I put it out, and then avoided
eating it for several hours until they were too hungry not to.
I haven't had that reaction to the Wellness, which also smells a LOT
better than the Science Diet and Iams, and has less carb content.

BTW, Hills prescription M/D canned is higher in carb than Science
Diet canned kitten food. Why?

Gideon developed a bladder full of struvite crystals on the Science
Diet dry. Fortunately, he never developed a blockage, but because
his developing hyperthyroid caused him to drink and urinate more,
he didn't have any obvious symptoms of bloody or concentrated urine,
and he never broke litterbox training. His only obvious symptom
was walking stiffly, and he was misdiagnosed as arthritic by my
previous vet. The new vet took an X-ray to check, and found no sign
of arthritis, but his bladder on the X-ray looked like it was *full*
of fishtank gravel. Between the extra drinking from the hyperthyroid,
and the Wellness diet, he managed to dissolve or excrete all but a
marble-sized cluster of crystals before his pre-op X-ray (the vet
was really surprised) so we cancelled the bladder surgery that was
to be done along with the thyroid and dental.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old September 14th 04, 10:29 PM
jamie

kaeli wrote:

I don't care if SD is hand-made by God, the cats won't touch it, so how about
recommending another brand they'll actually eat?

Of the following, please pick one that you think is best for my cats:

1. Higher-quality dry[*] only
2. Lower-quality wet primary with HQ dry as a snack overnight
3. HQ dry primary with LQ wet as a snack in the evening
4. LQ wet only

* higher-quality dry my cats will eat include Pro Plan, Royal Canin, Chicken
Soup Cat Lovers, Nutro Natural Choice, Nutro Max Cat, Purina One

I managed to miss how old your cats are. If they're fairly young,
I would suggest mostly high quality dry over mostly low quality wet,
and maybe you'll be able to afford a premium canned that they like,
by the time they're older.

If they're senior kittizens like mine are, any of your above choices
could exascerbate problems, so I don't know what to suggest, other
than trying to cut the budget somewhere else to afford premium
canned.

Old September 14th 04, 10:48 PM
jamie

GAUBSTER2 wrote:

LOL! Megan, where do you get your nutritional knowledge? The analogy you gave
is like telling somebody that there is no harm in eating a diet high in sodium
until after they suffer a heart attack!

LOL! Gaub, where do you get your nutritional knowledge?
While it was once believed that eating high sodium caused high blood
pressure, it was proven years ago that only a small percentage of
hypertensives are adversely affected by sodium, and that eating a
lot of sodium doesn't cause high blood pressure in most people.

Old September 14th 04, 11:05 PM
PawsForThought

From: (jamie)

Steve Crane wrote:

[...]

I'm really glad to hear how Wellness has helped your kitties. Yours is not the
first post I've read where after switching to Wellness food, the cats do
better. I had fed my previous cats Science Diet and they did poorly on it too.
IMO there are better foods out there.

Lauren
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old September 14th 04, 11:05 PM
PawsForThought

Old September 14th 04, 11:09 PM
PawsForThought

From: kaeli

In article , darnit7
enlightened us with...
From: kaeli

You know, why is it the higher-quality wet looks like paste and the lower-
quality wet is all full of gravy and looks almost good enough for me to

eat?
Well, not really, but you know what I mean. *heh*

If you get the canned Wellness, you will see it doesn't have that icky cat

food
smell like Fancy Feast or Scie Die. It doesn't look bad either.

I'm pretty sure we tried that and it was a paws down.

We got a can of anything Whole Foods had. They didn't eat any of it.
And I know we got samples from the people at the cat show that no one would
eat.

*sigh*

I feel like I have toddlers.

Oh, wait, I do, they just have permanent fur suits.

LOL, they are like toddlers, aren't they?
How are you introducing the new food to them? I've found that by adding maybe
a teaspoon to the old food and mixing it in they are more likely to try it than
if I just set down a whole plate of new food. Then I just slowly keep adding
more of the new food. Sometimes a bribe food can work too. Something like a
little parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. I've also been known to
"accidentally" drop some new food on the floor g

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe