Mom Update 11/19/08 Oops!

Old November 20th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
john sumner[_8_]

Default Mom Update 11/19/08 Oops!

"Bridget" wrote in
:

They are greatly heartfelt. There was no way I could do the intensive
care you are doing for you mother for my father before he died. I did
do everything I could to make him comfortable. We had regular lunch
dates and I always brought things he liked just because I knew he
would. They let him have a cat which was one of his saving graces and
prolonged his life more than medicine I believe. But the care you have
given your mother both before this accident and after is nothing short
of dedicated. It really is something most people don't have within
them to do.

As John said, you are my hero. I look forward each day to the updates
to know how you and your mother are doing. It lets me know exactly
what prayers to pray for you when I do my evening prayers. Last night,
it was that you and your mom would get some reasonable sleep.

I know you have had some long days, and I know you have long days
ahead of you. Hang tight. And always know there are people here who
are supportive of you and the care you are giving your mother. Some of
us with more experience than others about things you can look for.
People have had some excellent ideas for your mom and you have been
incredibly receptive to all kinds of ideas in a tough time.

I am also glad you have the support of a really good hospice program.
They sound very helpful and supportive. Even if no one in your family
is saying it, I will. You are doing a great job. I don't think anyone
could do any better.

Bridget

Jill i second that from bridget,YOU GO GIRL
Old November 20th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 11:58 am, "Jofirey" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

If you do go the hospital bed route....this is what many places
caring for disabled elderly patients use,not only for sitting, eatng
meals in,
tv viewing, and most important - sliding patient easily in "full
recline"
mode from chair to bed (vital: chair *must* have wheels *locked* for
this feat!). Their cost IMHO would make renting one a better option.
Not recommendng this online sto just for the pic of the chair:

http://www.southwestmedical.com/Whee...ecliner/3442p0

That's a geri-chair, and I bought one for my mother. Medicare
covered most of the cost of an electric bed (which is an *enormous*
help both for the patient and for those who are helping the patient),
but it did not cover the cost of the geri-chair. I paid several
hundred dollars for it, and it was well worth the cost. However,
they are *very large* and *cumbersome* -- so, they are difficult to
use in a private home.
MaryL

Since she's under hospice care they will rent the hospital bed (if/when we
go that route) and it's covered 100%. All the supplies are. Not a nifty
chair like that, though Her bedroom is around a very tight corner.
(I'm not even sure how they'll get a hospital bed in there unless they
come unassembled!) I doubt this chair would be workable if indeed she
ever actually gets out of bed again. She also doesn't like to sit up.
She weighs *maybe* 80 lbs so she's got no meat left on her butt; her
tailbone gets sore very quickly. But thanks for the info and support,
Mary. It's appreciated!

Oh, and to Jo, of all the things hospice *should* provide (since they
provide the diapers) they won't provide a diaper pail!

Jill

Yes, the hospital bed will probably come disassembled, if you decide to go
that route. At least, Mother's did. I also got a very nice "potty chair"
for her. Just like what you said about hospice, Medicare did not cover
that. Ironically, Medicare did not cover basic safety equipment like the
padded "arms" I had attached to her toilet (that was before the potty chair)
and the chair for the bathtub since she would not have been able to get out
of the bottom of the tub, and I would not have been able to lift her. I
said "ironically" because Medicare will not cover a lot of safety equipment
that is designed to prevent a fall, but it will cover damages suffered
*after* a fall (and that is far more expensive). I bought everything she
needed, but a lot of people simply can't afford it.

The geri-chair was wonderful for my mother. She could be wheeled around in
it in a semi-reclined position. However, I bought that when she was in the
nursing home. It simply would not have been practical in my own home. Two
wheels are "fixed" and only two turn, so it is a very cumbersome device to
maneuver. All of the nursing homes already have geri-chairs, but the one I
bought was better quality and had better padding.

Incidentally, be sure to check into what the regulations are for your
hospice. In some areas, a patient is permitted only to have palliative care
after hospice enters the picture and not any medication or care intended to
"cure." Hospice is wonderful, but the reason behind that procedure -- as I
understand it -- is that hospice is really intended for those who are
terminal. You may already be aware of this, but I was not until I broached
the idea of hospice with our doctor. So, I decided against hospice at that
time. Mother was in a nursing home by the time we got toward the end ofo
her life, and she was receiving everything there that hospice could provide.
But I really do think hospice is a wonderful service for those who are at
home, as long as you are aware of what I just said. (And it may not even be
true for hospice in your area -- you would need to check into that for
yourself.)

MaryL

Old November 21st 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"jmcquown" wrote in message

Since she's under hospice care they will rent the hospital bed (if/when we
go that route) and it's covered 100%. All the supplies are. Not a nifty
chair like that, though Her bedroom is around a very tight corner.
(I'm not even sure how they'll get a hospital bed in there unless they
come unassembled!) I doubt this chair would be workable if indeed she
ever actually gets out of bed again. She also doesn't like to sit up.
She weighs *maybe* 80 lbs so she's got no meat left on her butt; her
tailbone gets sore very quickly. But thanks for the info and support,
Mary. It's appreciated!

Oh, and to Jo, of all the things hospice *should* provide (since they
provide the diapers) they won't provide a diaper pail!

Hospital beds come unassembled, one of the things the delivery people are
"supposed" to do is put the bed together and make sure it is working
correctly. They also make memory-foam padded seats for those who are in
wheel chairs (one of our friends has one) and those are wonder for those who
cannot use regular contoured chairs (I've been thinking of getting myself
one). Our friend swears by hers. We bought a garbage can with a foot pedal
and lined it with plastic garbage bags when Rob was in need. I think it
cost us about $30 at Wal-mart. A plain (if you can find one) children's
diaper pail should also work. Since Rob rarely needed depends, the garbage
can worked best for us. If you do have to go with a hospital bed, standard
twin sheets work on them. We tried to find the ones with the elastic around
all four sides of the bottom sheet (hard to tell by the labels) as they fit
better without being pulled off by movement. We also went with cheap sheets
from Wal-mart as we knew that they would be a short term item. Mike is
currently using them on his bed in Florida.

Pam S who also wants to help if she can

Old November 21st 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
tanadashoes wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

If you do go the hospital bed route....this is what many places
caring for disabled elderly patients use,not only for sitting, eatng
meals in,
tv viewing, and most important - sliding patient easily in "full
recline"
mode from chair to bed (vital: chair *must* have wheels *locked* for
this feat!). Their cost IMHO would make renting one a better option.
Not recommendng this online sto just for the pic of the chair:

http://www.southwestmedical.com/Whee...ecliner/3442p0

That is what they had in my room when I was in the hospital. The only
problem I had was that my legs were too short for the chair.

Pam S.

Mom's only 5'1"

Jill

I'm only two inches taller, but my torso is long for my height. Mandy says
that I T-rex arms and short little leggies. She's a stinker.

Pam S.

Oops! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 7 February 13th 08 05:45 AM
Oops Marina Cat anecdotes 23 August 14th 06 03:50 AM
oops! Tish Silberbauer Cat anecdotes 3 March 20th 05 08:42 PM
Um... oops? GraceCat Cat anecdotes 20 December 25th 04 07:40 PM
LOL - Oops! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 73 September 9th 04 02:41 PM