Mom Update 11/19/08 Oops!

Old November 19th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Mom Update 11/19/08 Oops!

I didn't think I'd need anyone here with Mom at night. I let the CNA leave
at 7PM last night and figured things would be okay. I was wrong! I was
trying to get some sleep but something woke me about 10PM. I looked in on
Mom and she was very agitated for some reason. I called the hospice nurse;
she brought over some Ativan and gave Mom one .5MG tablet. Got her calmed
down and she went to sleep. I figured I could go back to sleep. Something
woke me again around 12:30AM. I went to check on Mom again and she was on
the floor! Oh crap.

I don't know if she tried to get up or if she simply rolled off the bed. (I
think she probably rolled.) She can only sleep comfortably on her right
side. Well, she was on the floor on her *left* side (the broken hip side),
curled in a fetal position. She was completely out of it due to the Ativan.
I couldn't get her to tell me if she was in pain so I don't know if she
injured herself or what.

I called the hospice nurse again. Her only suggestion at that point was to
call the fire department to get someone to lift her back on the bed. I
called the security gate instead. They sent over a big burley guy who just
happened to be a former paramedic. We got Mom moved onto a turn sheet. He
cocooned her head and grabbed the middle of the sheet around her while I
lifted her feet. We got her position in the MIDDLE of the bed this time,
but turned again on her right side. He asked me for some thick books and
tucked them underneath the mattress to tilt it up to prevent her from
rolling off the edge.

Between her unexpected discharge, me scrambling to get the help I needed and
her coming home yesterday this is pretty much day three with only a few
hours sleep. I kept getting up to check on her. A nurse will be calling me
later in the morning and probably coming over to assess whether she's in
pain. And I've left a message saying yep, I think I do need someone from
Right At Home to stay in her room all night.

The hospice nurse also suggested I look into "toddler bed rails" that slide
under the mattress since there's no good place to put an actual hospital
bed. She said she knows they sell them at WalMart. I'm running on empty.
(sigh)

Jill

Old November 19th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

You might also want to consider getting an adjustable hospital bed and put
your mother's bed into storage (temporarily). A hospital bed would provide
security for your mother, and it would probably be more comfortable because
it can be adjusted for legs, hips, and head. It would even be more
comfortable for you or others to make the bed and turn your mother because
it can easily be raised. Be sure to get an *electric* bed, if possible. I
think Medicare will cover almost all of the cost, with a doctor's
prescription. I had one for my mother, and it makes a big difference for a
person who has to spend most of the day in bed. It can later be returned
(and get her bed out of storage) if it is no longer needed.

MaryL

Old November 19th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I didn't think I'd need anyone here with Mom at night. I let the
CNA leave at 7PM last night and figured things would be okay. I was
wrong! I was trying to get some sleep but something woke me about
10PM. I looked in on Mom and she was very agitated for some reason.
I called the hospice nurse; she brought over some Ativan and gave
Mom one .5MG tablet. Got her calmed down and she went to sleep. I
figured I could go back to sleep. Something woke me again around
12:30AM. I went to check on Mom again and she was on the floor! Oh
crap. The hospice nurse also suggested I look into "toddler bed rails"
[...]

Problem is, how am I supposed to disassemble her solid-wood frame (read
*heavy*) bed and move it, the mattress and box springs by myself? I'm all
alone here. I asked the hospice nurse about it. She said the people who
deliver the bed *might* dissasemble her bed and move everything to the
garage but maybe not. The guy who delivered the wheelchair and bedside
commode practically ran out the door. He still had a ton of deliveries to
make. He was supposed to drop those things off at our house in the early
morning. He showed up around 1:45PM.

Jill

Old November 19th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Had to have the toddler rails for my MIL. BUT, she learned, even in her
medicated stroke state to climb over them. So long as you can have someone
with her at night, is a good idea. She only had one strong side so I
figured out to put her bed against the wall on that side. Had to move the
bed out every day until I got a hospital bed that rolled but, it gave me a
few nights sleep as I knew I would hear her attempting to get out of bed
that way.

Old November 19th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

You may have to hire someone to move the big bed. Shouldn't take long. The
hospital bed will make your life easier. If you are to survive this, you
need to take advantage of things that are available and, there is always a
way to get something done.

I don't say that lightly but I had my MIL for 16 years after she had a
stroke and my husband a paraplegic was in chronic condition for the last 10
years of his life. A church, even if you don't go, often has people who
volunteer to help others. ASK, all they can say is no and I bet if one says
no, another will say yes.

Old November 19th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I made arrangements *in advance* for the people who delivered the electric
bed to also take Mother's bed apart and move it to the garage. If that
isn't possible, you may need to hire someone. A good starting point would
be Goodwill or a similar organization. They often have lists available.
You probably will find that the people who deliver the electric bed will do
this if you make it clear that (1) they will need to assemble the bed for
you and (2) there won't be room for it until they remove the other bed.

MaryL

Old November 19th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Dad and I tried sleigh bells tied on strings to hang from Mom's door, so we
at least knew when she was up at night. At that time, she was still able to
get to the bathroom by herself. We had to shorten the strings tho', because
Lily and Lucy cats would 'jingle' them when they walked in and out of her
room. I know your mom is not trying to get that far, but the bells were
funny.

What you may want to do is get a baby monitor. That way, when you are in
between shifts of someone being there, you can hear her wherever you go.

'Hoping you have someone there tonight so you get your rest... which you
NEED!!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Jill

Old November 19th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_5_] Bridget[_5_] is offline
Banned

Oh Jill,

You are the daughter most parents dream of having to take care of them when
they get old. You have done your parents a great service this week in how
you have handled yourself in taking on what needs to be taken on. They
taught you well and you must love them dearly.

That being said, I hope things get settled down quickly so you can get some
rest at last and settle into some kind of routine - that being best for both
you and your mom. Your dedication, endurance and stamina are inspiring to
me. I hope at some time in my life I have the chance to take care of someone
with the amount of love you are taking care of your mother.

Bridget

Old November 19th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I didn't think I'd need anyone here with Mom at night. I let the
CNA leave at 7PM last night and figured things would be okay. I was
wrong! I was trying to get some sleep but something woke me about
10PM. I looked in on Mom and she was very agitated for some reason.
I called the hospice nurse; she brought over some Ativan and gave
Mom one .5MG tablet. Got her calmed down and she went to sleep. I
figured I could go back to sleep. Something woke me again around
12:30AM. I went to check on Mom again and she was on the floor! Oh
crap. The hospice nurse also suggested I look into "toddler bed rails"
that
slide under the mattress since there's no good place to put an actual
hospital bed. She said she knows they sell them at WalMart. I'm
running on empty. (sigh)

Jill

One final suggestion, and I don't know how practical this is in the area
where you a I found a man who does all sorts of "handyman" work. He has
been a lifesaver! He doesn't come cheap, but I never question what he
charges -- he is honest and is well worth the cost. I first used hime when
I needed someone to install some "rails" all along the sides of the hallway.
They had to be very sturdy for Mother, and I also wanted them to "blend in"
as much as possible. Next, I bought some heavy-duty handrails for the
bathtub. Unfortunately, I have those viny tub surrounds, so hardware cannot
be mounted on that. He located studs immediately beside the outer edge and
mounted two handrails vertically (one at the height when a person is sitting
and one for standing). That was 11 years ago, and I have continued to use
his services ever since. It's amazing how many times I have needed someone
to do something, and he can do almost everything "large or small." I
originally obtained his name from a health care service.

MaryL

Old November 19th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I didn't think I'd need anyone here with Mom at night. I let the
CNA leave at 7PM last night and figured things would be okay. I was
wrong! I was trying to get some sleep but something woke me about
10PM. I looked in on Mom and she was very agitated for some reason.
I called the hospice nurse; she brought over some Ativan and gave
Mom one .5MG tablet. Got her calmed down and she went to sleep. I
figured I could go back to sleep. Something woke me again around
12:30AM. I went to check on Mom again and she was on the floor! Oh
crap. saying yep, I think I do need someone from Right At Home to stay in
her room all night. The hospice nurse also suggested I look into "toddler
bed rails" that
slide under the mattress since there's no good place to put an actual
hospital bed. She said she knows they sell them at WalMart. I'm
running on empty. (sigh)

Jill,

What you may want to do is get a baby monitor. That way, when you
are in between shifts of someone being there, you can hear her
wherever you go.

Cute about the sleigh bells I already have baby monitors - one in the
kitchen and one in my room. I can also clip it to my belt. Her bedroom is
on the opposite end of the house from both of those rooms. I bought those
even *before* she went to the hospital and broke her hip. She was using a
walker but her knees tended to buckle so I still had to help her to the
bathroom.

'Hoping you have someone there tonight so you get your rest... which
you NEED!!

Yes, I need it! I also need to go to the grocery store!

Jill

Oops! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 7 February 13th 08 05:45 AM
Oops Marina Cat anecdotes 23 August 14th 06 03:50 AM
oops! Tish Silberbauer Cat anecdotes 3 March 20th 05 08:42 PM
Um... oops? GraceCat Cat anecdotes 20 December 25th 04 07:40 PM
LOL - Oops! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 73 September 9th 04 02:41 PM