Mom Update 11/20/2008

Old November 20th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Mom Update 11/20/2008

I managed to get some sleep last night. But the poor CNA who sat with her
had a time of it. The CNA (Shay) who was here during the day told the new
nighttime CNA (Joyce) oh, it's easy. You just have to reposition her from
time to time, make sure she's comfortable. Change her diaper and wash her a
two or three times. Give her ginger ale or juice. Piece of cake.

Not last night! Mom vomited about 5 times and developed diarrhea. Mom
barely ate anything yesterday so I don't know what that's all about. She
wasn't having these issues even when she was still in the hospital. Joyce
ran out of the wipes the hospice provided. (I just happened to have another
package of them, but I didn't know about all this until this morning.)

I called and told the on-call hospice nurse. She told me to crush a couple
of Immodium in water and give it to her by oral syringe. Fortunately I
happened to have some Immodium tablets. She called in a prescription. Mom
is on a liquid diet for today until we see how things go.

Her regular hospice nurse wasn't scheduled to visit again until tomorrow.
But she'd called yesterday and said she'd call me today to see if I needed
her to come out. I left a message saying yes, please come out today.

Mom says she's not in pain. She asked for more ginger ale this morning.
And I'm told she wanted to look at the newspaper during the night. But
right now she's just plain worn out from being moved around to be changed
all night. Joyce even changed the bottom sheet and did laundry! although
how she managed to get the sheet off the bed and a clean one on I don't
know.

Shay, the day-time CNA just arrived. I'll be able to go to the grocery
store today, at least.

Thank you all for your support, suggestions and continuing purrs. You have
no idea how much that helps me.

Jill

Old November 20th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Well thank goodness you had help this time!! I tell you, it's amazing what
those folks can do to change bedding without disturbing (too much) the
patient. When I had to clean up my mom after a bout of diareah, I just
worked and worked on her, but still didn't get her 100% clean. Hospice came
about 30 mins. later and one, two, three... Mom was as tidy as ever.

Glad you some help AND some rest, Jill!!!!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Jill

Old November 20th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
snip
Thank you all for your support, suggestions and continuing purrs. You have
no idea how much that helps me.

Jill

Continuing purrs and good thoughts. I still think your mother will improve a
lot.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old November 20th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I went to a medical supply place and bought a stack of those waterproof pads
to put *under* the sheets. They are padded and washable. I got the long
ones so they would not "scrunch up" under her. Again, you may already be
familiar with these, but they are very helpful so I thought I would mention
it. Medicare did not pay for them, but I don't know about hospice. Once
Mother entered the nursing home, supplies like that were included in the
fees I paid. Mother lived with me for 5 years and then another 5-1/2 years
in the nursing home. Actually, 5-3/4 years.

MaryL

Old November 20th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Medicare pays for *everything* under hospice, even the prescriptions.
(Well, except they don't offer diaper pails LOL) We've got pads like that,
diapers, wipes, a gentle spray "wash" for her bottom. The nurse is bringing
more wipes and her prescription and also a cap that will wash her hair for
her!

Jill

Old November 20th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Does your hospice permit anything other than palliative care? Hospice has
wonderful features, but that is one of the negatives that my mother's doctor
mentioned. That is, we did not call in hospice because (at least in this
area) she would no longer have had access to anything intended as a cure.
Hospice was designed to provide help to the family and patient in the final
weeks of the patient's life.

MaryL

Old November 20th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sara[_3_]

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:25:14 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Jill

So glad you decided to sign up with Hospice -- that group is a
god-send! When my mother in law was dying we brought her to our home
to make her as comfortable as possible. Her doctor recommended
Hospice (and he was a real jerk, we were very happy to get away from
him!) Hospice was the best thing that could have happened to us in
that situation. They took so much of the stress and worry out of the
situation, tho we never had anyone from Hospice spend the night -- you
are lucky you can get someone to do that. But the nurses are trained
(like changing beds with the patient still in them ) to do things
we'd never be able to do. I was always afraid I'd hurt my mother in
law if I tried to move her or lift her (the cancer had gone to her
bones) so I really appreciated the nurses being available to
physically deal with her needs.

I could sing Hospice praises all day, but mainly wanted to reassure
you that you are in very good hands and I think you'll find you can
have a life of sorts again now that some of the responsibility for
your mother's care has been taken on by someone who is trained to do
that job.

Our Hospice nurses and aides told us many stories of patients who hung
in there and had been hospice patients for 3-4 years and still going
strong. If I remember correctly, once you sign up with Hospice they
will keep caring for the patient as long as needed.

My thoughts are with you -- I know how hard it is to be the main
caregiver for a loved one.

Sara
Old November 20th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Medicare pays for *everything* under hospice, even the prescriptions.
(Well, except they don't offer diaper pails LOL) We've got pads like
that, diapers, wipes, a gentle spray "wash" for her bottom. The
nurse is bringing more wipes and her prescription and also a cap
that will wash her hair for her!

Jill

Does your hospice permit anything other than palliative care? Hospice has
wonderful features, but that is one of the negatives that
my mother's doctor mentioned. That is, we did not call in hospice
because (at least in this area) she would no longer have had access
to anything intended as a cure. Hospice was designed to provide help to
the family and patient in the final weeks of the patient's life.

MaryL

There is no "cure" for old age. The hospital was trying to "cure" every
little thing by shoving 30 prescriptions down her throat several times a day
and forcing her to eat a low sodium/low fat diet. Her gerontologist feels
this is ridiculous and I agree with him. My mother was already giving up,
as it were, before any of these recent events. Shoving pills down her
throat isn't going to change the outcome.

Jill

Old November 20th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Actually, the "caregivers" (certified nursing assistants) are through a
separate agency, not hospice, and I'm paying for that. But they are also a
godsend. The agency (called Right At Home) found CNA's qualified to handle
my mother's unique needs. If I encounter any problems with them (I haven't)
they'll find someone else. The hospice sends RN's out and they are on call
24/7 in case things like prescriptions or simple advice is needed. She has
an assigned RN but after hours any of their RN's can handle whatever.

I could sing Hospice praises all day, but mainly wanted to reassure
you that you are in very good hands and I think you'll find you can
have a life of sorts again now that some of the responsibility for
your mother's care has been taken on by someone who is trained to do
that job.

Our Hospice nurses and aides told us many stories of patients who hung
in there and had been hospice patients for 3-4 years and still going
strong. If I remember correctly, once you sign up with Hospice they
will keep caring for the patient as long as needed.

Yes, her doctor simply needs to re-certify the need for hospice after 6
months.

My thoughts are with you -- I know how hard it is to be the main
caregiver for a loved one.

Sara

Thank you very much.

Jill

Old November 20th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

No, that's not what I meant. I fully understand what you mean about
overmedicating, and I went through much of the same thing when I changed
doctors for my mother. I changed to a doctor who has a great many geriatric
patients and is as concerned as I was with all the medications that were
being prescribed, some of them completely inappropriate. I was thinking of
things like pneumonia (which is curable, unlike "old age"). I spoke to her
doctor -- her "new" doctor, at that time and the one we used until up to the
time of her death -- about hospice. He advised against it. He thought the
hospice organization in this area provides special care for those where
death is imminent, but he pointed out that we would no longer be able to get
medication for things like flu, pneumonia, etc. because hospice permits only
palliative care once they have accepted a patient. I checked with hospice
personally and found that what he had told me was true. So, that's what I
meant -- not that you should accept all sorts of overmedication or subject
your mother to the types of procedures you described, but rather that you
make sure you look into what type of control you will continue to have. As
I said, you may already have done that. And you are, indeed, facing some
very difficult and painful decisions, regardless of the route you follow.
I wish the very best for you and your mother.

MaryL