(OT) Anyone like this house?

Old June 13th 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Default Middlesex (was (OT) Anyone like this house?)

"MatSav" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote in message

...when Bow was still part of Middlesex not London ...

Indeed, the City of London was - nay, still is (for some
purposes) - in the County of Middlesex...

...(that didn't change until the 60's...

1965. I was only 4 years old when my Urban District Council
became part of a London Borough, and the administrative county of
Middlesex was abolished :-(

... and I have a friend who will insist he's not a Londoner as
he was born
in Middlesex) ...

Well, good for him! I too consider myself to be a "Middle
Saxon".

Incidentally, there's a yell performed at Scout and Guide Camp
Fires throughout the world, by people from Middlesex. It's
'replacement' words for the Rugby chant of "Oggy!,Oggy, Oggy!",
"Oi! Oi! Oi!", and it goes like this:

(Leader): "Middle, Middle, Middle!"
(Response): "Sex, Sex, Sex!"
"Middle!"
"Sex!"
"Middle!"
"Sex!"
"Middle, Middle, Middle!"
"Sex, Sex, Sex!"

(Sometimes followed with "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme - More! More!
More!", or "Tennis, Tennis, Tennis - Balls! Balls! Balls!")

This brought howls of laughter from Dutch Sccouts, when it was
performed at an international camp in the Netherlands. When I
asked why, I was told that "Left Sex" refers to homosexual acts,
whereas "Right Sex" is, of course, heterosexual practice - but
they'd never heard of "Middle Sex"! :-)

Don't they have bisexual people in the Netherlands? ;-)

--
Adrian
Old June 13th 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default (OT) Anyone like this house?

On 2012-06-12 2:40 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
Besides, she has the right to live in any kind of house she wants. She
doesn't need your approval.

I know that, but a wooden house will continually need painting. Jill
asked
for opinions and I gave mine. It may not be what you want to hear. I
think
you are being a bit harsh to censure me for that.
It's impossible to get a mortgage on a wooden house here, probably
because
the mortgage companies don't rate its chances of not rotting during the
term
they lent you the money (25 year mortgage is common here)
Tweed

They're wrong, then, or else wooden houses in the UK aren't built well,
perhaps because the builders have more experience with other types of
construction.

25-30 year mortgages exist here, too, and are used almost entirely for
wooden frame houses. Even ones that appear to be brick or stone are
really brick or stone facing on wood. Overpriced condo buildings are
constructed of wood, unless they're high-rise. There's a four or five
storey one going up at the end of my street now. I bet the builder will
be asking $300,000 or more for a small apartment.

Yes, wooden buildings require maintenance, perhaps more and certainly of
a different type than building made of other materials. But there are
very large areas of the world in which very large numbers of people live
in wooden houses which do not rot away during 25 years - or even 250
years or more, if they're built and cared for properly.

--
Cheryl

Interesting. The house I grew up in is over 200 years old, and it's a wood
house. Not interesting or beautiful at all, though. It's just an old
farmhouse that started out as 2 rooms, then grew over the years. I don't
know many times it's been remodeled, but the basic structure is still there,
from the late 1700s.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The house I grew up in (northeast Ohio) was built in the 1860s. It was a
wooden house, originally a farmhouse. It still had its original slate
roof--they never wear out, and slates just need to be "tightened"
occasionally. Mother and Dad renovated it through the years, and they did
so much work on the property that people used tell us it looked like a park.
We were not farmers, but we lived in a rural area and always had some
animals--ponies, our wonderful horse, collies of the "Lassie" type, etc. We
always had a little garden and a few chickens and turkeys. My brother had a
pig as a 4-H project. Mother and Dad had the floor of the basement
resurfaced and painted, and we used to roller skate down there. We also had
a ping pong table in the basement, but the walls were just rough stone that
were spray painted--not the type of "finished" basement that is shown in
newer homes. It was really a wonderful place to grow up in. There were
natural springs in the area, so we eventually had a pond built that was
spring-fed. All of this has brought back great memories.

MaryL

Old June 13th 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MatSav" wrote in message ...

"Lesley" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have friends who live in West Middlesex, PA (a borough of Mercer County).
We used to find the name amusing when we were children.

MaryL

Old June 13th 12, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Adrian wrote:

"MatSav" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote in message

[...]

As someone (Woody Allen, maybe?) once said, "Sex between a man and a
woman is a beautiful thing. You just have to find the right man and
woman to get between."

That's definitely *middle* sex.

--
Joyce

Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
-- Jan King
Old June 14th 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-06-12 2:40 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I live in a wooden house that probably dates back to the 1890-1900
period. I hesitate to put it forward as an example of the excellent
preservation of wooden houses because it was almost certainly put up
very cheaply by an amateur builder, and it shows! This area had some
temporary-type housing that was later winterized and then, as the city
grew, used as regular year-round housing. But the well-built housing in
the same area, some of it much older, is holding up just fine.

--
Cheryl
Old June 14th 12, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 2012-06-12 2:40 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The construction of our house was interesting. The original house was very
sturdy, as shown by the fact that the original slate roof was still intact.
Most of today's houses could not withstand the weight of that roof. At some
point, someone had added a kitchen area to the side. That part was very
poorly constructed, and my parents had it torn down. There was no indoor
plumbing when they bought the house in 1945, and we used the old outhouse
for about a year. They had some of the rooms redesigned and created a small
indoor bathroom during the process (and tore down the old outhouse!). I
often laugh when I see TV shows where a young couple look at a house with
"only" one large bathroom and say that would be impossible. There were five
of us using one very *small* bathroom, and I don't remember ever having any
problems. We did not even have a "schedule" for getting ready for work and
school, but it all worked out.

MaryL

Old June 14th 12, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-06-14 1:00 AM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

I love watching those TV shows, and I prefer the ones about the young
couples starting out rather than the ones with the million-dollar
mansions. But like you, I can't understand some of those young couples -
without children, even, most of the time! - who absolutely must have at
least two and a half bathrooms, and act out for the camera how
impossible it is for two people to share a bathroom! I'm sure it's all
directed by the people running the show. And they want a master bedroom
as big as a small apartment - no unrenovated older house has bedrooms so
big, or enormous walk-in closets, which of course means these young
couples won't consider them. And perfectly functional cabinets or tiles
must come out because they're 'dated'. Not hideous or disgusting, just
'dated'! And each child must have a separate bedroom. A large one.

Then again, I wouldn't like to go back to the days in which you had
families of a dozen or so plus maybe a boarder living in four or five
rooms. The old parts of many cities probably historically had a much
higher population density than they do now, with more single people and
childless couples able to afford entire apartments or houses themselves.

--
Cheryl
Old June 14th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2012-06-12 2:40 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It's probably a cultural difference, as it often is when an American (not
you, obviously) gets sparked up by what I see as an innocent
comment/opinion.
We might speak a similar language but our culture is so very different.
Tweed

Old June 16th 12, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
.. .
Besides, she has the right to live in any kind of house she wants. She
doesn't need your approval.

I know that, but a wooden house will continually need painting. Jill
asked for opinions and I gave mine. It may not be what you want to hear.
I think you are being a bit harsh to censure me for that.
It's impossible to get a mortgage on a wooden house here, probably
because the mortgage companies don't rate its chances of not rotting
during the term they lent you the money (25 year mortgage is common here)
Tweed

Well, I think your order to her was a bit harsh. You didn't say, "I'd get
a house made of brick" or "I'd suggest a house made of brick". You said,
"Get a house made of brick." That's an order, not a suggestion. I
wouldn't have said a word if you'd put it as a suggestion.

Joy

That's being a bit persnickety. I don't care how Christina worded it. We
have different definitions of "Victorian" architecture in the UK vs. the US.
Both were in the same time period but brick homes were not as common in the
US outside of the eastern seaboard. And the paint on the painted ladies was
apparently fun to change every once in a while Let's let it go at that,
shall we?

Jill

Old June 16th 12, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Fine. I had already planned to let it drop.

Joy

strange cat in house ,not my house Ann Cat anecdotes 2 May 31st 08 08:14 PM
A cat in the house ... Yoj Cat anecdotes 0 February 3rd 06 07:34 PM
There is a d*g in our house!!! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 10 November 14th 04 12:01 AM
The Cat House Pat Cat anecdotes 18 August 30th 04 02:49 AM
New cat house Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 21 October 8th 03 05:00 PM