CAT LADY WANTED

Old July 8th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default CAT LADY WANTED

wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Doesn't matter! All the available posts for one title download
(more-or-less in date order), then all the available posts for the next
title, etc. The posting/arrival time for a given set of posts is
immaterial. At whatever time I choose to read a newsgroup, my browser
downloads all posts for each title, before proceeding to the next one.
The time posted is immaterial - "CAT LADY WANTED" begins with a "C", the
post about the dead cat had a title beginning with a letter that occurs
later on in the alphabet. (Ergo......)

Apologies if you're bored to tears with this topic. (Same to everyone
else, who have probably stopped reading this thread anyway.)

Semi-hypothetical situation:

Let's say you read a bunch of posts on Monday, July 7. Among these
posts is Tigerboy's personal ad post. Suppose that is the only post of
his that has arrived on your server as of that day. Then that is the
first post of his that you will see.

You finish reading and log off.

The next day, you go back and read news again. Suddenly, there is
Tigerboy's post about his cat. It has arrived a day later. So you are
seeing it *after* you saw the personals post. He might have posted the
cat post first, but it did not arrive at *your* server until July 8.
So, no matter how you sort your messages while reading on the 7th, the
cat post will not come first, second, or 1000th, because *it is not
there yet*.
(In this scenario, if you don't read news on the 7th, but do read on the
8th, then yes, it's true that both posts will be there. And because you
sort articles alphabetically, it won't matter what order they arrived.)

Exactly! If both are there, I see them alphabetically, regardless of
the order in which they were actually posted.
Old July 8th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message

Do you see no distinction at all between fantasies or stories about
incest and real child abuse?

Well. You might say the same about people who download child porn. Is
it a
fantasy or not? Does it mean they will *actually* go on to abuse
children?

Not the same thing at all. If you're looking at a child porn photo,
that means that at some time, that child was forced to do those acts in
front of a camera. So in that case, sexual abuse actually *did* take
place.
That's why it's illegal. Not because some guy is getting off on it.

When someone writes about incest fantasies, no child has to be involved
in the creation of the story. So it's just someone spinning out tales
from his fantasies. You might find that offensive, but that doesn't give
you or anyone the right to stop them from doing it. As Wayne said,
fantasizing is not a predictor of future behavior. And you can't prosecute
a crime that *might* happen.

There is no problem about fantasies whatsoever, that is not what I am
saying. But when you get two little nieces 5 & 7 saying "I saw grandad
doing things" to his youngest daughter aged 13, things that they could not
have possibly known about and when his computer is seized it's full of
incest sites, and when he is arrested he kisses his daughter on the mouth as
he is arrested and says "remember I will always love you".
Oh, and his wife sleeps downstairs, suspected of colluding.

He claims he bought the computer from a car boot sale in 04 and the images
"must have been on it already." It isnt so.

Joyce
You are lovely, but now and again you do not know of what you speak.

I mean, what's next? Should we be alarmed about people who write murder
mysteries? After all, murder is pretty harmful.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Old July 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

There is no problem about fantasies whatsoever, that is not what I am
saying.

You say the above, but then you go on to cite an example where you seem
say the exact opposite - that there *is* a problem with fantasies. So
which are you saying?

But when you get two little nieces 5 & 7 saying "I saw grandad
doing things" to his youngest daughter aged 13, things that they could not
have possibly known about and when his computer is seized it's full of
incest sites, and when he is arrested he kisses his daughter on the mouth as
he is arrested and says "remember I will always love you".
Oh, and his wife sleeps downstairs, suspected of colluding.

All this is horrifying, of course. But are you saying that the stuff
on someone's computer is inseparable from his behavior?

It's probably true that most perps do fantasize as well as act out.
But is the reverse true? That people who fantasize always act out? I
don't think so. That is what Wayne and I have been trying to say.
Fantasy is not a predictor of future crimes, although it may be an
indicator. I don't know what percentage of people who fantasize are
actually hiding a bigger problem.

Joyce
You are lovely, but now and again you do not know of what you speak.

Actually, I do. I lived with an incest survivor for 15 years, and I've
known quite a few others as well. I'm quite familiar with the extreme
damage it does, as well as with the dynamics that go on in families
(collusion, denial, blaming the victim, etc).

My views may be quite different from the vast majority of average,
centrist, middle-of-the-road thinkers who hang out here. And maybe
from the vantage point of the dead center, my ideas appear naive,
too-trusting, uninformed or (a gem from a few years back)
"misguided". But believe me, the dead center looks plenty naive,
uninformed and misguided from where I sit, too. Could you disagree
with me without being *quite* so patronizing?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 9th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default VACUUMS

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Sat 05 Jul 2008 10:25:17a, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

s. com:
Kili, that's roughly what the Dyson Animal Vac is. I went
vac-shopping a
couple of months ago. I just can't push a tank like some of the
vacs are,
and I thought the Dyson was too heavy. I ended up with a Hoover
Wind Tunnel
(I loved my last one, but I hate this one. I picked it because
it has a cool
animal-hair attachment. Problem with this one is, the belt
breaks too often,
when the collection tank gets much cat hair in it at all, the
suction isn't very good.
Plus, I think it's as heavy as the Dyson.
I have a friend with a Dyson who absolutely loves it and highly
recommends them.
So I ended up getting an Electrolux cordless vac for in-between
stuff. I'll probably end up giving this Wind Tunnel away and
looking at Panasonics or
Orecks, simply because they're lightweight. It wears me out to
push that Hoover.
Vacs really get a workout here with 5 cats. I try to vacuum
every- other-day for sure.
Sherr

The Dyson is only heavy to push if the rug is damp with
humidity. I have recently discovered this.

I have to add to this. I got a Bissell carpet cleaner recently and
I just cleaned the carpets upstairs and even after vacuming with
the Dyson it pulled up a TON of cat fur.
Cheryl- Hide quoted text -

Every time I empty the Dyson's collection chamber (2 little thumb-
switches)
right into my kitchen plastic garbage can I look at the large pile of
different-colored
cat fur and wish we had some market for selling it for some use or
other. Today we
put the leather couch cover (SureFit, washable cotton) through three
"wash" cycles
of the washer and in its filter were enough cat fur to build another
cat, as the saying
goes, all in all. Wish I had held out for the just-as-frequent-in-
apts.-here "hardwood
floors" I had in our first dwelling here in Mile-High. An easy sweep
job there AFA
floors.....

Before anyone embarks on hardwood or tile or lamanate, I have just one
thing to consider. "Static cling"

There are no 'easy sweep jobs'

When you consider flooring, go with what you like and will enjoy.
There are no magical easy to clean surfaces.

Jo

Old July 9th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nan

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:35:29 -0700, "Jofirey"
wrote:

Before anyone embarks on hardwood or tile or lamanate, I have just one
thing to consider. "Static cling"

There are no 'easy sweep jobs'

When you consider flooring, go with what you like and will enjoy.
There are no magical easy to clean surfaces.

Jo

I have laminate over all of the downstairs (nasty carpet on the stairs
and upstairs bedrooms). I use a dust mop on the laminate every day
and vacuum it maybe once a week. As far as I'm concerned laminate is
the way to go.

Nan and the furkids
Old July 11th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Untamed Tiger wrote:

I'm SO happy to see that this posting has provided such amusement
for everyone..... :-( Apparently all of you are deliriously
happy and content and have found suitable mates, but I have
not....

You know something, John? That reaction pretty well explains why
you have difficulty "reaching" someone!

Aw, c'mon. There was nothing hostile in John's message. Maybe a bit
whiny, but when you're lonely and then you lose a cat you've had for
15 years, I'd say you're entitled to a whine. Just have some cheese
and crackers with it and you're all set.

What, no Vino? (not Britta's Vino, or maybe so!)

John, people generally don't post personal ads here, and my guess is
that a lot of folks interpret it as a kind of spam. I know you meant
well, and would just like to find someone you can relate to. There are
plenty of places where that is the goal - singles sites, etc, and I'm
sure people would be a lot more receptive to that there.

Yeah, like eharmony.com or facebook or something.

That said, what's so terrible about posting a personal here, anyway?
His was clean and kid-friendly, not to mention cat-friendly, so I have
no objection.

The objection I have is the assumption (granted, my own) that "Cat Ladies"
are all lonely women who have no other connection with the world. He could
probably volunteer at a shelter or find some activity that would allow him
to meet people with shared interests rather than post here as if we are a
group of lonely old bags just waiting for the chance to date him.

One other thing - we have a habit around here of going off-topic at
the drop of a hat. So don't be surprised when the subject line says
"It's my kitty's 4th birthday!" and the discussion is about our
favorite 80s songs.

That's also true, but if the kitty turned 4 in the 80's it might sorta be on
topic

Jill

Old July 11th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Untamed Tiger wrote:

[...]

I didn't take it that way at all. I just saw it as somebody looking for
someone with a similar interest. Granted, it would be a long shot here to
find someone in the same area, but I didn't take it as an insult.

Joy

Old July 11th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

There is no problem about fantasies whatsoever, that is not what I am
saying.

You say the above, but then you go on to cite an example where you seem
say the exact opposite - that there *is* a problem with fantasies. So
which are you saying?

But when you get two little nieces 5 & 7 saying "I saw grandad
doing things" to his youngest daughter aged 13, things that they could
not
have possibly known about and when his computer is seized it's full of
incest sites, and when he is arrested he kisses his daughter on the
mouth as
he is arrested and says "remember I will always love you".
Oh, and his wife sleeps downstairs, suspected of colluding.

All this is horrifying, of course. But are you saying that the stuff
on someone's computer is inseparable from his behavior?

Not necessarily, but it does need to be investigated if there are children
in the family in case it isn't.

It's probably true that most perps do fantasize as well as act out.
But is the reverse true? That people who fantasize always act out?

No, but the department I work for has a statutory duty to protect children
so everyone who downloads suspect sites has to be looked into.

I do understand where you are coming from, Joyce. Fantasies are fine, any
and all really, I agree, kept in your home, but the moment those "paid for"
sites are downloaded it sets things in motion.
I've heard enough "tell your mother and I'll kill your baby brother", or
"wait until your mum goes to the shops and I'll shoot her if you tell" to
have no patience.

We still get at least one person a week referring themselves sometimes 30
years later because they haven't got over sexual or physical abuse they
endured in their childhood and want to alert us to their previous abuser.
It took them that long to be brave enough to do it.

It's a very difficult subject but if sexual fantasties spill over into child
protection issues, it's a no-brainer.

Old July 11th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I do understand where you are coming from, Joyce. Fantasies are fine, any
and all really, I agree, kept in your home, but the moment those "paid for"
sites are downloaded it sets things in motion.
I've heard enough "tell your mother and I'll kill your baby brother", or
"wait until your mum goes to the shops and I'll shoot her if you tell" to
have no patience.

We still get at least one person a week referring themselves sometimes 30
years later because they haven't got over sexual or physical abuse they
endured in their childhood and want to alert us to their previous abuser.
It took them that long to be brave enough to do it.

It's a very difficult subject but if sexual fantasties spill over into child
protection issues, it's a no-brainer.

Well, put, Christina, thanks. I think we're mostly talking about different
things, although there is an area of overlap.

--
Joyce ^..^

Update on old lady cat ~Echo~ Cat health & behaviour 2 April 8th 06 03:49 AM
cat lady Bridget Cat anecdotes 16 February 20th 06 05:13 PM
Cat Lady [email protected] Cat anecdotes 4 June 12th 05 03:57 PM
Such a little lady O J Cat anecdotes 102 October 13th 04 03:04 AM
The Bag Lady O J Cat anecdotes 9 September 17th 04 12:39 PM