OT - LA Bans Fast Food

Old August 2nd 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default OT - LA Bans Fast Food

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in I never had
a child, but I have a beautiful step-daughter and an even
lovelier granddaughter, and the s-d *wanted* to park further away,
so... We'd go the mall or grocery store, I'd stop, get out at the
door, she'd move into the driver's seat and go park, and we'd shop
together. Then afterward, she'd go get the vehicle, bring it to curb,
get back into the passenger seat, and I'd get in the driver's seat.
Worked great for both of us. We didn't like shopping alone.

Smokie Darling (Annie) - She didn't care to drive my vehicle, being
the reason she didn't drive from the house.

********

My younger daughter figured this one out, and it works to her
advantage as well as mine. If granddaughter needs to go to the
pediatrician I go with them. She drops both of us at the door and
goes out to Siberia to park. So she doesn't have to lug the baby all
the way across the huge parking lot, and I get and extra baby care
day.

I love watching her, and if daughter has to go to the pediatrician and
then to the sitter and then to work and then back to the sitter, the
day is pretty much shot.

Jo

Old August 2nd 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

*Somebody* here in Australia has declared that having more than four
standard drinks in a day is 'binge drinking', and that having more than 2
standard drinks in a week is 'risky'. The governement is now putting in
plans...

What? How do they get from 2 drinks a *week* to 4 a *day*?? Isn't there
something in between those? And I agree with you that occasionally having
4 drinks in a day isn't necessarily a binge, especially if the drinks are
spread out over many hours. I suppose if someone had 4 drinks every day,
they might have a problem, but I wouldn't necessarily call that a "binge"
either.

I'm surprised that Australia is jumping on this bandwagon. This happens in
the US all the time, but you guys don't have the Puritannical legacy that
we have here. Our culture is very big on virtue through self-denial. This
is why we scorn people who smoke, eat fatty or sugary foods, drink a lot,
or otherwise indulge themselves. Oh, we say it's onl because we're
"concerned about their health". But tell me, when does anybody - outside
of one's mother, or the actuarial department of an insurance company - ever
criticize a person for skydiving, hang-gliding, race car driving, scuba-
diving, working with dangerous wildlife, or other high-risk behaviors
that are certainly dangerous to life and limb? If anything, we admire
such people. They're brave and adventurous. They're *cool*. We might get
worried about them, but we don't *scorn* them.

Maybe the attitude is a bit different in Australia, but ends up with a
similar plan of attack?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 2nd 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

people can really be nasty about handicap placards. It just amazes me
to have a total strainger say "you don't LOOK handicapped". I need to
think up a smart-aleck comeback for that one.

How about, "Well, you don't look stupid, either"?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 2nd 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message
My husband was in a wheel chair for 30 years and we heard all the
reasons for using a handicapped parking space. There was a period
of time where anyone who asked their Doctor could park in one. Except for
the occasional teenager or ladies shopping in a gaggle,
well it sounded like that, we found that sort of sorted itself out.

Heart, emphysema (?), back surgery and such are the many that don't
snow but make walking difficult.

One of the Doctors here in town wrote an extensive article about
"Mothers to be" using spaces marked for them. Said most could use
the exercise unless there really was a medical problem.

That one, ("Mothers to be" spaces) irks me for some reason. Maybe
I'm just a bigger witch than I thought, but I figure that giving
healthy young women, who have no problems spending hours standing
around or walking around malls prime parking spaces is a slap in the
face for those of us old f*rts who don't have serious handicaps but
do have problems walking the distance. I'd like to think that I
would have refused to park in those spaces when I was younger and
pregnant, but I don't know. Maybe I'm a more selective witch than I
thought.
Pam S. who needs hugs today

{{{{{{{{{{{{ Pam }}}}}}}}}}}}
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 2nd 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Hmm, I've heard (but I can't cite the source, so I won't bet my life
on this) that Subway food has as much fat in it as McD's.

According to http://www.weightcommander.com/Subway.html, the highest calorie
6" sub is the meatball (my favourite) compared to a Big Mac

(table formatted to fixed width font)

Item, Calories, Fat, Carbs, Fiber, Cholesterol, Sodium, Protein
6" Meatball, 527, 26, 53, 6, 56, 1360, 24
Big Mac, 590, 34, 47, 85, 1090, 24

Thanks for the info. There is a difference, although I have to say it's
not a huge difference. (Thanks for the fixed-width font, btw!)

I could of course be wrong; I failed home economics [1]!

Whereas I didn't fail home ec - I simply did not learn anything useful
(about food, anyway).

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 2nd 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I sure wish I could give them in person! How's it going, hon? Are you
managing to hang in there?

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Thanks, I need the hugs. The last three days have been such that I don't
even want to think about them. I thought about ranting in here but don't
want to prove that I'm a bigger drama queen than I've been in the past
(yeah, I know, that is a pretty big drama queen). The whole thing involves
an uncaring social worker or two, rotten food and service in a restaurant,
IBS, stress, and more. Sometimes, I wish that I just wasn't emotional,
which makes it all worse.

Pam S.

Old August 3rd 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Sherry" wrote in message

On Aug 2, 8:43?am, "Granby" wrote:
My husband was in a wheel chair for 30 years and we heard all the
reasons
for using a handicapped parking space. ?There was a period of time
where
anyone who asked their Doctor could park in one. ?Except for the
occasional
teenager or ladies shopping in a gaggle, well it sounded like that,
we found
that sort of sorted itself out.

Heart, emphysema (?), back surgery and such are the many that don't
snow but
make walking difficult.

One of the Doctors here in town wrote an extensive article about
"Mothers to
be" using spaces marked for them. ?Said most could use the exercise
unless
there really was a medical problem."CatNipped"
wrote in message

On the other hand, I think moms with babies and a gaggle of very small
children could use their
own preferred parking place. Ever see them trying to herd little ones,
while lugging an infant in
one of those huge car-seat things, PLUS their groceries. Sometimes
it's not possible to "leave the
kids at home."
Oh well. I guess that's why babies are for the young and energetic!

When in the last term of pregnancy, I dearly wished for a temporary
handicapped sticker so I could park there. I thought it would good, if at 5
months pregant, you got a handicapped parking sticker that was vaid for 6
months. Would cover the last bit of pregnancy, and the first 3 months of
doing the stroller, giant baby bag and crying infant shuffle.

It still p*sses me off to this day that it always seems someone parks to
close to me when I'm trying to get Cary back into his safety seat. These are
the times I really need to open the doors wide, and I can't just leave Cary
in the carpark unsupervised whilst I back out the car a bit to make more
room to open the doors.

Changing the subject a little (and I may have told this story before), long
before Cary came along, I came out of the supermarket to find a whole bunch
of "youfs" waiting around a 'highly modified' car that was parked next to
mine. I found it a bit intimidating, but decided just not to make eye
contact and get into the car.

As I did so, one said that I had dinged his car with my door when I had got
out.

You can imagine what i was thinking.

So I dutifully had a look at the scratch.

I had clearly been set up. I had a white car. The scrape of paint was
distinctly yellow. It wasn't in the right place for my door to have made it.
And I was damn sure I hadn't made any contact with my door because I was
fairly certain I had parked in that spot because the spot next to me (where
they had parked) was empty when I pulled up.

So I looked at it for a bit, got up some inner courage, and said "Nope, that
wasn't me"

Of course, all 5 said "youfs" had seen me do it. "We got witnesses, see?"

I am still amazed I did this. But I said "No, it wasn't me. I am a paint
chemist, this is what I do for a living. For a start, this is yellow paint,
I have a white car. Secondly, it couldn't have been my door, my door would
have made a ding here - and demonstrated it. Thirdly, you weren't here when
I pulled up, it was empty, thats why I parked here."

"But we got witnesses"

"I am a paint chemist[1]. I could analyse the paint and tell you which type
of car it came from [2], but I can tell you now it came from a yellow car,
not a white one. From the colour, it looks like a late model honda [3], but
I'd have to check with my FTIR and mass-spec to be sure. But I can tell you
now, it wasn't me"

I got into my car again.

"But we saw you do it!"

Well, you can read my licence plate, take it down and report me to the
police. Then I will get to analyse the paint properly [4]", I said.

I drove away.

I never heard from the police.

I don't know whether its a common scam, or said youfs were being
particularly creative, but don't fall for it- you know when your door smacks
another car, no-one can miss that sound.

Yowie
[1] Absolutely 100% true
[2] it would, in truth, be very difficult for me to do, as I don't have a
library of car paint manufracturers. But I can identify the different types
of paint used on pre-painted steel sheets, and hte techniques are the same.
[3] Total BS, I had no idea what colour yellow it was, but it went along
with my story of being able to analyse car paint
[4] If it did go to court, I would have asked for a sample and compared the
two paints with the FTIR and the mass-spec. I may not be able to identify
the particular manufacturer, but I could easily show that my ca'rs paint and
the scratch didn't match.

Old August 3rd 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
news
"Granby" wrote in message
[...]

I found it really hard to walk around in the last two months of hte Yowlet's
internment, and dearly wished to be considered 'temporarily disabled' for
that purpose.

It wasn't that I *couldn't* walk, so much as found it painful on the hips &
back, and carparks difficult to negotiate with the huge thing in front of
me. I did have a large baby, and an abnormally large amount of amniotic
fluid going on, though.

Yowie

Old August 3rd 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I sure wish I could give them in person! How's it going, hon? Are
you managing to hang in there?

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Thanks, I need the hugs. The last three days have been such that I
don't even want to think about them. I thought about ranting in here
but don't want to prove that I'm a bigger drama queen than I've been
in the past (yeah, I know, that is a pretty big drama queen). The
whole thing involves an uncaring social worker or two, rotten food
and service in a restaurant, IBS, stress, and more. Sometimes, I
wish that I just wasn't emotional, which makes it all worse.

Hugs coming atcha, Pam. Whilst its probably little comfort, please know that
you are loved by many people.

Yowie

Old August 3rd 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I sure wish I could give them in person! How's it going, hon? Are you
managing to hang in there?

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Thanks, I need the hugs. The last three days have been such that I don't
even want to think about them. I thought about ranting in here but don't
want to prove that I'm a bigger drama queen than I've been in the past
(yeah, I know, that is a pretty big drama queen). The whole thing
involves an uncaring social worker or two, rotten food and service in a
restaurant, IBS, stress, and more. Sometimes, I wish that I just wasn't
emotional, which makes it all worse.

Pam S.

Now I'm really ****ed of - mostly at myself, but also a few others who
contributed to this state of mind in the group! NOBODY should refrain from
posting to ask for support when having a crisis in their life - EVEN if that
crisis is a f*cking HANGNAIL! You are NOT a drama queen - I may be, but
trust me, you are NOT.

Lady, I am in AWE of you for the courage you display through all of the sh*t
life has thrown at you. I am humbled and ashamed when I start feeling sorry
for myself, because you (and a few others like Kili), have not only managed
to get through life's toughest hurdles, but came through them with grace,
and style, and a sense of humor!!

Please, please, please, don't hesitate to post here when you need purrs or
hugs or just a few shoulders to cry on - you need it and you DESERVE it!
And if ANYBODY has the unmitigated gall to call you a drama queen I will
PERSONALLY flame their ass to cinders!

So THERE! ;

*HUGS*

CatNipped