Can a tomcat be "re-neutered"?

Old January 31st 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Can a tomcat be "re-neutered"?

Among horsepeople it is known that sometimes the vet does not "get
everything" when a colt is gelded, and you end up with a gelding that
behaves more like a stud. I don't know if this is a remediable situation in
a horse or if the same thing can happen with a male cat, but I was thinking
it could be the cause of Eli's extremely aggressive behaviour.

Aside from attacking the other cats constantly, he sprays - even in the
house at times. There has to be a cure.... Is it possible the vet left part
of his testes, and if so, is it possible to have the situation corrected by
more surgery?

Old January 31st 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
Among horsepeople it is known that sometimes the vet does not "get
everything" when a colt is gelded, and you end up with a gelding that
behaves more like a stud. I don't know if this is a remediable situation in
a horse or if the same thing can happen with a male cat, but I was thinking
it could be the cause of Eli's extremely aggressive behaviour.

Aside from attacking the other cats constantly, he sprays - even in the
house at times. There has to be a cure.... Is it possible the vet left part
of his testes, and if so, is it possible to have the situation corrected by
more surgery?

Gosh, Pat, I've never heard of that. If both testicles are gone, then
what else is there to "get"?
The spraying part isn't that unusual. WAs he an adult when he was
neutered? Sometimes they just keep spraying, particularly if they're
older when they're castrated.
But it wouldn't hurt to ask. Do you have a pretty good vet you can call
and ask?

Sherry

Old January 31st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote

Gosh, Pat, I've never heard of that. If both testicles are gone, then
what else is there to "get"?

I can't imagine....

The spraying part isn't that unusual. WAs he an adult when he was
neutered? Sometimes they just keep spraying, particularly if they're
older when they're castrated.

No, he was about 6-7 months old at the time. I took him and Tommy in
together.

But it wouldn't hurt to ask. Do you have a pretty good vet you can call
and ask?

I think I'd be embarrassed to ask a vet!

Old January 31st 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

You could have his testosterone level checked. My cat was like
this...agressive behavior and sprayed. I consulted an animal behaviorist
that suggested, among other things, I have my cat's testosterone level
checked to see if he was properly neutered. I did and he was. But it's
worth a try.

S.

Old January 31st 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Spock sometimes behaves like this and it is usually a response to
stress - in his case visiting children or noisy dogs. He is neutered
too (at 6 months old).

With cats, I don't think it's possible to be "half neutered" unless the
cat had an undecended testicle - which the vet should have checked for
during the proceedure (can the vet count to "2"? - LOL). I've watched
vets neutering male cats a couple of times and, at the risk of grossing
people out, the vet makes a small incision in the scrotum and kind-of
pops the tescicles out and ties and cuts them at the "neck" near the
body. That should ensure that the entire testicle is removed.

My father used to have an extremely aggressive cat, a desexed girlcat
called Diamond. Dad and his family (including a girl who was 5 years
old when Diamond arrived) lived with it for years until a knowedgeable
vet diagnosed an inborn, internal medical problem for poor Diamond. I
can't remember the details of the problem, but the upshot was that
Diamond was in a lot of pain most of the time, which accounted for her
behaviour. After the confirmation of the diagnosis and information
that it was incurable, Dad thought the best thing was to have Diamond
PTS and to end her life of painful misery in the most humane way
possible.

I doubt this is the problem with Eli - it sounds as though he really
needs to have some "me" time, but it might be worth checking with a vet
once your house-buying and moving are finished.

Tish

Old January 31st 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tish" wrote
[...]

He gets his fair share of "me" time but too little of "get rid of everyone
else" time.

Old January 31st 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
Among horsepeople it is known that sometimes the vet does not "get
everything" when a colt is gelded, and you end up with a gelding that
behaves more like a stud. I don't know if this is a remediable situation in
a horse or if the same thing can happen with a male cat, but I was thinking
it could be the cause of Eli's extremely aggressive behaviour.

Aside from attacking the other cats constantly, he sprays - even in the
house at times. There has to be a cure.... Is it possible the vet left part
of his testes, and if so, is it possible to have the situation corrected by
more surgery?

It's possible but not likely. Testes in a cat are extremely easy to
remove. It is more likely that he was neutered late and/or is in a
situation where intact males are constantly marking territory.

-L.

Old January 31st 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"-L."

It is more likely that he was neutered late and/or is in a
situation where intact males are constantly marking territory.

Is 6-7 months of age considered "late" for neutering a cat?

There was one (1) intact male cat around here briefly a few times last year
but he hasn't been seen since last summer. No others.

Old January 31st 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-31, Pat penned:
wrote

But it wouldn't hurt to ask. Do you have a pretty good vet you can
call and ask?

I think I'd be embarrassed to ask a vet!

Er, why?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully