Advice Needed for Adopting Adult Cats

Old May 18th 05, 08:41 PM
Lee

Default Advice Needed for Adopting Adult Cats

The time has come for us to open our hearts to some kitties who need a
permanent home. It has been a long time since we adopted cats, and
they have always been kittens. This time, we would like to adopt two
adult cats together, preferably two who have been companions.

I have never adopted adult cats before, only kittens, and need to know
how to make the transition from shelter to new home less stressful for
the cats.

They will have full run of the house, and will be indoor only. There
are no children or other animals in the house. They will have several
scratching posts and toys, as well as a cat shelf and a cat tree near
windows. We are not newbies to cats, only to adopting adult cats!

Any advice on what to expect when adopting adult cats would be
appreciated!

Lee

Old May 18th 05, 10:45 PM
MaryL

"Lee" wrote in message
oups.com...
The time has come for us to open our hearts to some kitties who need a
permanent home. It has been a long time since we adopted cats, and
they have always been kittens. This time, we would like to adopt two
adult cats together, preferably two who have been companions.

I have never adopted adult cats before, only kittens, and need to know
how to make the transition from shelter to new home less stressful for
the cats.

They will have full run of the house, and will be indoor only. There
are no children or other animals in the house. They will have several
scratching posts and toys, as well as a cat shelf and a cat tree near
windows. We are not newbies to cats, only to adopting adult cats!

Any advice on what to expect when adopting adult cats would be
appreciated!

Lee

Congratulations! You're going to love it. In many ways, it will be easier
(just not as cute) to adopt adult cats. I do strongly recommend that you
adopt a pair of cats that have been companions (just as you suggested).
Many animal shelters have cats that are accustomed to each other, and
tragically find they often have to break up the pair in order to adopt. You
could also look on www.petfinder.com. If it so happens that you cannot
locate a pair, then please adopt one and wait awhile before adopting a
second cat. Each one would need a period of adjustment. Assuming that you
do adopt the two together, it would be a good idea to confine the cats in a
single room (perhaps a bedroom) for the first few days, especially during
the time when you can be home. Again, this gives them an opportunity to
become acclimated to their new home. You have already mentioned the
arrangements I would have suggested -- cat tree near windows, scratching
posts (tall, sturdy ones that will not topple on an adult cat when used),
and toys. Everything sounds great, and I think you are "set to go"!

Please keep us updated.

MaryL

Old May 18th 05, 10:58 PM

Hi Lee,

Where do you live? (The no-kill where I volunteer has a beautiful set
of 2 year old brothers - lol). I echo what Mary said - sounds like a
good set-up and you will be doing a wonderful thing by keeping together
a pair who love each other. Do use Petfinder as well, it can totally
help you identify a likely suspect or two .... (and e-mail me if you're
anywhere near the Bay Area).

Old May 19th 05, 12:53 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 18 May 2005 03:41:59p, Lee wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

The time has come for us to open our hearts to some kitties who
need a permanent home. It has been a long time since we adopted
cats, and they have always been kittens. This time, we would
like to adopt two adult cats together, preferably two who have
been companions.

I have never adopted adult cats before, only kittens, and need
to know how to make the transition from shelter to new home less
stressful for the cats.

They will have full run of the house, and will be indoor only.
There are no children or other animals in the house. They will
have several scratching posts and toys, as well as a cat shelf
and a cat tree near windows. We are not newbies to cats, only
to adopting adult cats!

Any advice on what to expect when adopting adult cats would be
appreciated!

Lee

Aww! Bless you for deciding on adults!

Many rescue orgs that have fostering programs have foster parents
who care for lots of cats at a time and they can tell you which
ones get along great. Then there are some that they just refuse to
split up and it makes it harder to get them adopted. You'll
definitely get lots of input from fosterers! If there are Petcos or
Petsmarts in your area that do adoption shows on the weekends, I'd
go to some of them and talk to the volunteers. Even if they didn't
bring a bonded pair with them, they likely have some at home that
got to skip a show that week. Good luck!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old May 19th 05, 01:46 AM
Lee

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the guidance! Our intent is to find a pair. I know from
Petfinders that they are out there in our region, and since age is not
a factor, I expect our biggest problem will be narrowing our choices.

I am, however, concerned about keeping them confined for the first few
days. Our house is open concept. The only rooms with doors are the two
bedrooms and the bathrooms. Would it overwhelm the cats to let them
wander and discover (and hide if they feel like it) at their own pace?
And how do you "teach" an older cat where the litterxes are, anyway?

Old May 19th 05, 01:47 AM
Lee

MaryL wrote:

[...]

And how do you "teach" an older cat where the litterboxes are, anyway?

Old May 19th 05, 02:23 AM
Gail

Show the cats where the litter boxes are several times during the day (if
you don't confine them).
.. I think it is easier to confine them for the first few days as it makes
them feel more secure and less frightened. Petfinders is wonderful. Most of
the cats I have adopted (or adopted me) were adults.
Gail

Old May 19th 05, 02:42 AM
MaryL

"Lee" wrote in message
oups.com...

MaryL wrote:

[...]

No, it really won't be a problem if you let them wander. My suggestion was
made to (1) give them time to adjust to the new home and (2) have them in a
location where you will know where to find them. However, that is not at
all essential, so I wouldn't worry about the open floor plan. As to
"finding" the litterboxes, they would probably do that on their own.
Nevertheless, it would be a good idea to set them down beside one of the
litterboxes once just to make it "easy" for them. I have always found that
adults cats instinctively know what to do with the boxes! If one of the
boxes happens to be in one of the rooms with doors, you could open their
carriers in that room and close the door for just a short time. If not --
still no problem, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for adopting adult cats. Kittens are much more easily placed, yet
adult cats can often have many advantages over kittens.

MaryL