Report - cat show - judging - long

Old September 22nd 03, 03:09 AM
Lois Reay

Default Report - cat show - judging - long

Tatts are tattoo's, I am sure you must have some people with tattoo's where
you are, very popular with men although woman now are getting them as well.

I have to admit I did come home and relax with a large glass of the good
stuff.

Lois

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
ROFL and Good For You, Lois! What on earth are "tatts" that the big
kitten-rearing dude was "covered in"? From what I've seen around here in

cat
shows, you got off kind of easy at this smaller venue show wherever you
live......goes to demonstrate you can never tell with people; the large
stranger was a cat-rescuer which one never would have guess at first
sight.....admiration to you also, for judging them all (LOL at "overweight
tabby who wanted to escape") and trying to be fair! If I was allowed to
drink, and I were in your shoes, I would have had a couple after the whole
stressful day was over!

"Lois Reay" wrote in message
: Well here it is my report
:
: Got up at an ungodly hour to feed and clean my cats and kittens before
: driving the 40 odd minutes to the show venue - the hall was already a

buzz
: with exhibitors grooming and benching their kitties.
:
: I was not allowed in the show hall so retired with my book steward and
other
: judges to an upstairs room to wait our summons for proceedings to

start -
: 8-30am SHARP we were told.
: At 9am we were called for the show to begin - this was a three ring

show,
: the other two Domestic judges each had pedigree assignments to complete
: first, so I had all (14) treasured pets to myself.
:
: I walked into the hall and was aghast to see many of the pet owners
sitting
: anxiously waiting for me to begin, and then horror of horrors!! I

spotted
: one of my fellow Burmese breeders sitting there, I knew she owned a
domestic
: pet, but not only is she a pedigree breeder she is also a registered

judge
: (I am not, oh why doesn't she go away!!)
:
: Time for a nervous pee! and to gather my courage!
:
: All the exhibits were beautiful in their own way - first out was a

lovely
: black and white, followed by two red and white chaps, then came a brown
: tabby and white - gosh this was getting difficult, how to choose, next

out
: was a brown tabby, a VERY big neuter (wouldn't have wanted to be

carrying
: him around all day!!) he was timid, last of the L/H was a golden tortie
: tabby, she was just beautiful, nice soft coat, lovely markings and

groomed
: to purrfection, a credit to her owner ( I later found out that she was a
: rescued kitten, some boy's had taken her into a pet shop and said to the
: owner give us some money for this kitten or we will drown her - the p/s
: owner gave them $10)
:
: Have to make up my mind now on the L/H placings - the golden tortie had

it
: all, she was clearly (in my eyes) # 1 but the rest I had a battle with -

: conferred with my book steward, we decided it was easier to start

marking
: the bottom placings and work our way up.
:
: Once we had completed our top six I read them out to the assembled
audience,
: some showed no emotion, others were clearly very chuffed.
:
: Onto the S/H section (eight in all) first out a black smoke, a nicely
marked
: cat but a rough coat and a bit temperamental, then came a blue and

white,
: followed by a black and white, complete with dandruff, next was a tortie
: harlequin, another well groomed cat, with beaut markings, she was very
: inquisitive, then came a cream tabby, a beautiful elegant gent, well
: groomed, nice markings, he was nosey and alert. Then out came what can
only
: be described as an over weight obese cat, a bluecream tabby, her main

aim
: was to escape, so we quickly returned her to her cage.
: Next cat was a tortie silver tabby and white, she was a little stressed,
but
: had a lovely marble pattern in her coat which was well groomed, she got

my
: prize for being the best groomed and most unusually marked cat, last but
not
: least was a tortie tabby bi-colour kitten - I fell in love with this
little
: lass, she was cuddly, very friendly, alert, well marked and had a coat
like
: silk. I put her Best S/H in show, runner up was the tortie harlequin.
:
: After completing the rest of the placings I read them out and concluded
: with - I have completed my assignment, I hope I have made some people
happy
: and not upset to many, but remember there are two other judgings to

follow
: and anything can happen.
:
: I was standing around talking to an exhibitor when this BIG guy covered

in
: tatts approached me, he sounded a bit gruff, can I have a word, I

thought
: OMG I have upset someone, how will I get out of this - he reached into

his
: pocket and pulled out................... a packet of photo's - phew!!
: He said can I tell you how I came to get the kitten, my mate as down the
: river when I car pulled up and out got this chap and dumped a sack, the
mate
: went over to have a look and inside were four kittens just days old,

their
: eyes weren't open yet, he gathered them up and took them to the nice man

: was talking too, he rang his partner and said we have a job to do.
:
: They set about raising these little orphan babies, each taking it in

turns
: to come home from work every two hours to fed and toilet them. One

little
: baby had to be put to sleep a few weeks later as the other three sucked
and
: sucked on him and caused damage beyond repair, he told me both him and

his
: partner cried and cried when the little fella was put to sleep.
:
: The photo's were lovely, I asked to have a couple which he gave me, I

told
: him that his kitten was a real credit to his dedication and love, he

said
: bringing the kitten to the show and getting best in show was the icing

on
: the cake.
:
: When I was asked to nominate a kitty to go forward for the supreme

kitty
: in show award how could I not put this little one forward knowing her
start
: in life (she is now seven months old)
: The other two kittens in the litter were given to friends so that the
couple
: who raised them could visit and keep an eye on them growing up.
:
: I came home exhausted.
:
: Lois
:
:

Old September 22nd 03, 03:54 AM
Steve Touchstone

Sounds like a good time. although I'm sure there was no way to make
everyone happy.

What a great story about the abandoned kitty, being found and raised
and turning out to be such a beautiful cat. And another story which
goes to prove that cat lovers comes in all shapes and sizes.

I have a similiar story about a kitten found in the foothills by our
daschund when I was a kid. When we found ours he was also days old,
eyes still unopened. Unfortunately, it was too late for his siblings,
but we fed him with a medicine dropper and he grew up and is the only
cat my mom ever liked - perhaps because, if the truth is told, she did
most of the night feeding and care of the little guy.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:38:54 +1200, "Lois Reay"
wrote:

[...]

all, she was clearly (in my eyes) # 1 but the rest I had a battle with - I
[...]

eyes weren't open yet, he gathered them up and took them to the nice man I

Old September 22nd 03, 04:59 AM
Lois Reay

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
Sounds like a good time. although I'm sure there was no way to make
everyone happy.

What a great story about the abandoned kitty, being found and raised
and turning out to be such a beautiful cat. And another story which
goes to prove that cat lovers comes in all shapes and sizes.

I have a similiar story about a kitten found in the foothills by our
daschund when I was a kid. When we found ours he was also days old,
eyes still unopened. Unfortunately, it was too late for his siblings,
but we fed him with a medicine dropper and he grew up and is the only
cat my mom ever liked - perhaps because, if the truth is told, she did
most of the night feeding and care of the little guy.

Yes Steve when you hand rear a kitten (or any animal for that matter) you
seem to form a very special bond - at the moment I am feeding one of Phoebes
TEN kittens with an eye dropper as she is not putting on the weight that the
others are - they are a week old today.

Lois

Old September 22nd 03, 05:57 AM
Christine Burel

"You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din." Good work, Lois -- does sound
exhausting but the kitten story was quite a wonderful one -- thanks for the
report!
Christine

Old September 22nd 03, 07:26 AM
Jeanette

Lois Reay wrote in message
Well here it is my report

What a day It sounds like you did well, and got to meet a great bloke in
the process, what an angel he is for rescuing those kittens.

Old September 22nd 03, 09:06 AM
Irulan

Brava, Lois. What a yeoman's job you've done. Thoroughly enjoyed your
report. Are you going to do it again? g
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old September 22nd 03, 09:54 AM
Lois Reay

"Irulan" wrote in message
Brava, Lois. What a yeoman's job you've done. Thoroughly enjoyed your
report. Are you going to do it again? g

That was the last show for this show season - would consider doing it again
IF asked.
I am still recovering today.

Lois

Old September 22nd 03, 11:55 AM
polonca12000

How can people be so cruel? This is so very sad. I'm glad both stories have
happy endings with the exception of one kitten. I do hope siblings of the
kitty the boys brought are safe also.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Lois Reay" wrote in message
snip I later found out that she was a
rescued kitten, some boy's had taken her into a pet shop and said to the
owner give us some money for this kitten or we will drown her - the p/s
owner gave them $10)

snip He said can I tell you how I came to get the kitten, my mate as down