Is there any way to train a cat?

Old January 23rd 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Is there any way to train a cat?

The girls have free reign of the house with one exception. They're not
allowed in the kitchen ESPECIALLY on the kitchen counters... I haven't
caught them jumping up there in a very long time... they creep into
the kitchen when they think we're not looking and come slinking out
when we yell at them, but they stick to the most important rule of not
going in there when I'm cooking - it's not that I don't want them
around, but it's a very small kitchen and having them underfoot is
dangerous!
Anyway, we finally got ourselves a dining table and we're trying to
teach them to STAY OFF! But it's not sinking into their tiny little
furry brains... I think one 'keep out' rule was all there was room
for! Every time we turn around one of them is up there either walking
across or sprawling out comfortably... ARGH! I don't want litterbox
residue where we eat!
Can anyone give us any suggestions? Water doesn't seem to work any
more - they just laugh at us and do what they want!

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Old January 23rd 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
[...]

LOL, I can relate, but to the BATHROOM counters, not the kitchen. My kids
climb on the bathroom counters and love to bat my contact case around. Kind
of scary when the contacts are *in* the case.

kili

Old January 23rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Good luck!

My cats have never been allowed on the kitchen counters or the kitchen
table. However, I've had cats that liked to lie in the kitchen window.
Since the window is over the sink, they have to get on the counter to get
there. I've never seen any of my cats on the kitchen counter, though. I
had one cat who knew perfectly well that she wasn't allowed on the kitchen
table, but every couple of weeks I'd see her there, meatloafing. When I'd
yell at her, she'd just look at me and say, "What's wrong?"

Lindy decided to change the rules about the kitchen table. First, she
decided that the rule was, "No cats allowed on the kitchen table unless
they're lying on the newspaper." I pile newspapers on the table for
recycling and put them out every few days. Once she got me trained to that
concept, she changed the rule to "No cats allowed on the table unless
they're lying on something." Mail, books, anything I happened to put on the
table were fair game. The current rule is, "No cats allowed on the table if
there is food on the table or it is set for eating." I'm sticking to that
one, and she generally obeys it.

I seldom use the table for eating, so it isn't as bad as it sounds. Quite.
;-)

Joy

Old January 23rd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure there IS a way! About the best I've ever
managed is to train them not to let me CATCH them doing
whatever I don't want them to do. (Not exactly the same thing.)

Old January 23rd 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:

[...]

I finally solved that (if you can call it a solution) by
keeping the lens case in a drawer. (Of course, the bottle
of lens solution is a regular casualty - they keep knocking
it off of the dresser and losing it under the bed.)

Old January 23rd 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Keep a table cloth on the table when you aren't using it. Take it off when
you use the table.

Or try to at least get them to stay on their own side of the table while you
eat.

This is the second reason I like cats that go outside. You can kick them
out when you are eating and they are happy about it.

Jo

Old January 23rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:40:35 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

[...]

Why am I reminded of the rules for the care and feeding of stray cats
:P

Since there are only two of us and it's a big table, I have two
placemats at the end corner for us, and the back half of the table is
usually blank (or has papers piled on it...) Silly and Scout think
that means that half the table is for 'us' and half the table is for
'them'!

Old January 24th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Ha! I can't even keep them off of counters or tables *when I'm there* much
less when I'm not (ask Victor how well they listen to me! ;).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 24th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

[...]

Probably for the same reason I was reminded of those rules early in the
process. ;-)

Joy