OT-- The Colorado Hurricane

Old April 8th 05, 04:29 AM
CATherine

Default OT-- The Colorado Hurricane

Tuesday in Colorado, a powerful storm blew through. Rain, snow and
extremely strong winds. They said gusts of 60mph near the mountains
and the cities. But out on the prairie, where there is not much to
slow the wind down, I do believe the wind was a lot stronger.

It was hard to drive with the wind hitting the side of the car. By the
time I got to work, I was tired from my deathgrip on the steering
wheel. I opened the door to get out and the wind slammed the door on
my foot! It was like that all day. By the time I was done seeing
clients, I was tireder from fighting the wind than I was from the
work.

As i drove home across the prairie, I noticed damages from the wind.
Signs, storage sheds and even a portapotty at a construction site were
rolling in the wind. But I didn't have too much attention for seeing
things like that as I was trying to keep the car on the road.

Once i got home, I just relaxed for a moment before opening the door.
I was so glad the driver's door was on the lee side of the wind. Then
Jeff came out to escort me to the house. He often does, knowing I am
tired.

He had bad news for me. No electricity. Well, that happens some times
in the country. But I said it should come back on after awhile. He
said, No. Then he turned me around and said look up the hill behind
the house. So what do I see? Nothing. What should I see? Poles with
the electric wires.

The wind had hit the poles with hurricane force and snapped them like
matchsticks. At 10:30 in the morning. Jeff had called the power
company. They said they had so many poles down that they had borrowed
crews from other power companies. And in many places the wires had
snapped connections and were on the ground shorting out.

We were luckier than many people out here. We live in a very old place
with a real well; not just a pipe in the ground. My son set up a block
and tackle and lowered a bucket in the well so we could have water. We
have a wood stove so we could stay warm and cook. And we lit a lot of
candles. It was kind of like camping. But I sure missed my computer.

I am glad we have the power back on. We were out for about 30 hours.
They got our six poles replaced late last night. But there are still a
lot of broken poles to replace. I see trailers with loads of creosoted
poles sitting at sites of downed poles, waiting their turn.

A friend of mine lost her brand new roof. Now her insurance won't pay
for another one.

Last week I was snowed in for two days with a heavy wet snow. The next
few days was 70 degrees. Then this storm hit us. Now it is 70 again.
This sure is crazy weather for April. I want ot see some flowers. The
redbuds and apple tree should be blooming. At least I am seeing
daffodils in the city where the weather is a bit warmer than the
country.

--
CATherine
Old April 8th 05, 04:57 AM
Karen

in article , CATherine at
wrote on 4/7/05 10:29 PM:

[...]

Oh my goodness! I had no idea. I'm so glad it wasn't worse for you. I'm
sorry about your friend's roof. I don't understand insurance at all. I mean,
what do you pay for???

Old April 8th 05, 05:04 AM
Hopitus

WOW! All day Tues. I kept peering out my son's house
windows (I was over there babysitting all day) looking for the promised
snow/rain weather tv had scared me with for days before....and all that
happened *all day* was very strong winds from western/northern directions.
Huge hardwood trees bent (not just branches, *the trees*) and I thought
often of you all, CAT, out there on the prairie, where the storm must have
had its full force!
Explanation to rpca friends: I live in downtown Denver,
which I usually refer to as "MileHigh"....CAT and family
live about 80 miles south and east of here, on the Great
Plains of CO, where trees are scarce and farms are numerous.....
I was so grateful and happy that the storm apparently missed MileHigh
completely except for the wind - no snow where I live, just a touch of rain.
But the tv said it
all flew by to north of here and swept through CAT's
area with its full power.
Yes, CAT, daffodils and also hyacinths are blooming big
here in son's yard, also violets and those pink flowers that start with a
"c" native to this area, not to mention the 'orange lily things.
And still the natives locally are telling me, the dumb former south
Floridian, that this is "the usual" weather in
our newer home.....Hopitus will be happy as h*** when
all these weather threats and storms quit for the summer.
I see what the natives meant when they said, "Ha. That lasts about 3 days!"
when I told them upon my arrival in
June that I had visited every season except spring.......

Old April 8th 05, 05:10 AM
Seanette Blaylock

CATherine had some very
interesting things to say about OT-- The Colorado Hurricane:

Last week I was snowed in for two days with a heavy wet snow. The next
few days was 70 degrees. Then this storm hit us. Now it is 70 again.
This sure is crazy weather for April. I want ot see some flowers. The
redbuds and apple tree should be blooming. At least I am seeing
daffodils in the city where the weather is a bit warmer than the
country.

Yesterday was clear and very warm in Sacramento. Today featured cold
wind, overcast, sleet in some parts of the area, and even sightings of
funnel clouds (we had a tornado a couple of months ago), plus
clear/sunny/nice off and on.

Wonder what tomorrow's weather festivities will be like?

Old April 8th 05, 05:42 AM
Hopitus

Years ago, when we lived in Bay Area, CA, I used to visit some pals in
Sacramento....its population was less
than 100,000 in those days. I loved its weather and was
amazed, coming from where I was born/raised, that there
was an area where you can enjoy warm temps. (OK, heat!) w/o sweating like a
pig and watching your makeup
ooze right off your face in summer. I remember the fun we had @ that tourist
place between Sac. & Placerville
w/all the wierd memorabilia etc. Was it called "Sam's"
or somethng like that?

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...

Old April 8th 05, 05:50 AM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:57:31 -0500, Karen wrote:

in article , CATherine at
wrote on 4/7/05 10:29 PM:

[...]

It looks like it hit you hard after it left Utah. We woke up to six
inches of very wet snow. It was gone by the next day. The flowers are
still blooming. Now we are expecting snow and rain for the next five
days. It was like summer today. MLB

Old April 8th 05, 06:34 AM
Jo Firey

One tiny bright spot. If the trees haven't bloomed yet, at least now they
will bloom. Those winds would have stripped the trees.

Here's to true spring. Soon.

Jo

Old April 8th 05, 04:05 PM
Irulan

Wow, glad to hear you are all ok. We live in a relatively new subdivision
so there are no poles or wires above ground, but we still lose power
once in a while when the main generator in another part of the town
goes down. The thing I miss most is the air/conditioner and the
refrigerator. I gotta buy a power generator.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old April 8th 05, 04:09 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-04-08, CATherine penned:

The wind had hit the poles with hurricane force and snapped them
like matchsticks. At 10:30 in the morning. Jeff had called the power
company. They said they had so many poles down that they had
borrowed crews from other power companies. And in many places the
wires had snapped connections and were on the ground shorting out.

Wow. I didn't even notice any unusual weather here in Boulder and
Longmont.

DH is disbelieving that the winds could have been that strong; do you
know of an article somewhere I can show him?

Last week I was snowed in for two days with a heavy wet snow. The
next few days was 70 degrees. Then this storm hit us. Now it is 70
again. This sure is crazy weather for April. I want ot see some
flowers. The redbuds and apple tree should be blooming. At least I
am seeing daffodils in the city where the weather is a bit warmer
than the country.

I thought crazy weather was par for the course in Colorado. I
certainly get more colds here than I did in Virginia, which I
attribute to the temp fluctuations.

Glad to hear that you're doing okay and that it was just the power.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 8th 05, 04:12 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-04-08, Hopitus penned:
....Hopitus will be happy as h*** when
all these weather threats and storms quit for the summer.

Um, you're joking, right?

Last summer, anyway, there were afternoon storms almost every day.
Some were so intense that they flooded our parking lot. I had to walk
through 3 and 4 inch deep lakes to get to my car.

Morning: bright and sunny. Noon: bright and sunny. 3-4pm: sky is
falling; cancel all outdoor plans for the evening. 5pm: bright and
sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

Welcome to Colorado!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully