The meat industry

Old December 30th 03, 05:11 PM
GAUBSTER2

Then how do they explain downer cows being used in Western Washington?
They can't walk. How can they be approved?

Exactly.

Um, maybe somebody didn't follow the rules? Just because a piece of paper says
something, doesn't mean it is always followed. North Korea Nuke Treaty
advocated by Clinton? Your local speed limits?
Old December 30th 03, 05:14 PM
Betsy

Based on the facts in the case, isn't this statement an outright lie? Or am
I missing something?

And according to the USDA and their "emotional" response to BSE they

issued
this FAQ

What actions are taken at USDA-inspected slaughter establishments to

ensure
that cattle with neurological disease would not enter the human food
supply?

All cattle presented for slaughter in the United States are inspected
before slaughter by FSIS for signs of CNS impairment. Any animals
exhibiting neurologic signs during this inspection are condemned, and the
meat is not permitted for use as human food. The brains from these animals
are submitted to USDA's National Veterinary Services Laboratories for
analysis.
http://aphisweb.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/i...-overview.html

--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller

Old December 30th 03, 07:01 PM
Barb

Lauren?

I don't know how to cut and paste a post! Sorry. I think it was good old
Gaubster that thought downer cows are not put into our food supply.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old December 30th 03, 07:05 PM
Carrie-Lou Salter

"Barb" wrote in message
snip
Why would they have bought cows from Canada where they had an outbreak of
the disease?

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Outbreak?!?!?!

Ummmm.....one cow...that had already been culled from the herd (killed), was
tested a few months later and was found to have BSE......how the hell does
that make it an outbreak??

Carrie
Nova Scotia, Canada
I LOVE CANADIAN BEEF! -- Flame me if you want