Cats and getting on counter and tables -- healthy???

Old November 17th 04, 06:13 PM
Tiger Girl

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:43:37 -0600, kaeli But Nickleby kind of did
what he wanted and it
was hard to get him to stop -- I sometimes resorted to yelling which also
did not work. I always called him "the cat with enormous self-esteem" -- he
was absolutely impervious to correction or crankiness. I might succeed in
chasing him away (from the furniture he was scratching, for example) but he
would trot right back moments later, purring and quite pleased with
himself. He felt he could do no wrong.

And this is like my Rowan. Sometimes I wonder if she finds it funny to get a
rise out of me.

This is Buster all over the place. He sleeps like a log on the bed,
rises at a totally unreasonable hour, and stalks off the bed to sink
his claws into my wicker drawers. I'm fine with everything but the
clawing of the wicker drawers (it's destructive, and he could bring
the furniture down on himself). This all happens at a time I'd prefer
to be sleeping. I tried scolding him, he scoffed. I shouted. He
looked impressed and then scoffed. I hissed. He ran under the bed,
but as soon as I'd fallen back asleep there he was at it again.

Then I settled for hurling a small stuffed teddy bear at him. I did
this a couple of times, and now all I have to do is show him the teddy
bear and he runs off. It's a ritual. He stalks, I stir, he claws, I
wake just enough to show him the bear, he runs off, and I go blessedly
back to sleep.

THe other morning I actually woke up and discovered that the little
bugger is clawing the wicker, then pausing and waiting for me to
brandish the bear. If I don't do it the first time, he keeps it up.
Claw, pause, look, wait. Rinse lather repeat. No question this is all
for a rise. Good thing I don't usually have to wake up for it...
Old November 17th 04, 06:16 PM
Tiger Girl

Oh, I never said I had a problem with them on the counters. I don't. I don't
like them on my shelves (as in book shelves). They knock the knick-knacks
over. I have candles and little stones and stuff all displayed pretty and the
like.
It's not a massive battle or anything, I just prefer they don't go up there
so nothing gets accidentally broken. 2 out of the 3 are fine with that.
Princess would prefer to play with the kick-knacks.

I think we must have the same cat. I don't like Buster on the
counters at all (it's just too unsafe, he could play with a knife, or
walk on a hot stove burner) so I tried cris-crossing them with
double-stick tape. He hated the tape.

He'd jump up on the counter, hit the tape, make an expression of high
distaste, gather his resolve, and forge ahead, clearly hating every
nasty sticky little step. Nothing like persistence...
Old November 17th 04, 06:20 PM
Tiger Girl

Heh...if you use a piece of toilet paper to wipe the seat before you
sit down, you'll never sit on a wet seat, and as a bonus, you'll never
be caught with an empty roll of paper.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:18:58 GMT, "Mary"
wrote:

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote
g T Once upon a time there was an OT thread a mile long (no, make that
10
miles long!) in another ng I frequent about foot-flushers Vs. hand
flushers.
Even became a tad acrimonious at times! ;-)

What I hate are the "sprinklers." If everyone just sat down
on the damned seats they would probably be a lot cleaner.

Old November 17th 04, 09:09 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.misc.] On 2004-11-09, Ringo Langly
penned:

My habit is to use Lysol disinfectant spray on the counters almost daily,
whether cooking or not. I was just wondering what others do to either train
the cats to not jump on the counters or what they do to disuade the cats
from doing it. I've heard of a spray you can use that cats don't like --
one friend called it 'anti-catnip' because the smell or something in it cats
can't stand. Any idea what this is?

I know you can get "bitter apple" spray to discourage dogs from chewing on
your furniture. Maybe the same thing?

--
monique
Old November 17th 04, 09:12 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.misc.] On 2004-11-09, Ringo Langly
penned:

Hi Barb,

I don't generally put food directly on the counter, but I'd like to think if
something falls on the counter, whether a spoon or bit of food, that it's
not covered in the same germs in the kitty pan. I don't want to treat my
counters and tables at home like I treat tables at restaurantes where if
something touches it it's to be avoided.

My habit is to use Lysol disinfectant spray on the counters almost daily,
whether cooking or not. I was just wondering what others do to either train
the cats to not jump on the counters or what they do to disuade the cats
from doing it. I've heard of a spray you can use that cats don't like --
one friend called it 'anti-catnip' because the smell or something in it cats
can't stand. Any idea what this is?

Another thought ... if you're this hung up about germs, you probably want to
keep up the lysol treatments and whatnot. Pet fur gets into the air vents and
will distribute itself throughout the house, regardless of where the pet has
gone. Also, as I've discovered by reading up on cat allergies (that's people
allergies toward cats), cat saliva used while grooming and marking territory
is so fine that it can float in the air for months.

If it makes you feel better, you're shedding hair and skin all over the house,
too. It's not just the pets.

--
monique
Old November 18th 04, 01:55 AM
PawsForThought

Ringo Langly
penned:

My habit is to use Lysol disinfectant spray on the counters almost daily,

Lysol is extremely toxic to cats. I would highly recommend using something
non-toxic like vinegar and water.
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old December 16th 04, 08:10 PM
Zythophile

"Phil P." wrote in message

snip

It will work only when you're around. All you'll be training your cats to
do is to fear you. You'll also confuse them -because when you're not
around
jumping on the counter is ok.

Do you have to let the cats in the kitchen when you're not there? I never
leave my cats unattended in the kitchen. In fact if they could come and go
from the house without going through the kitchen, they'd not be allowed in
the kichen at all. If I ever found one on the worktop, I think it'd take 20
litres of Dettol before i could even think of cooking in there.

Personally, I think you're overreacting - the cats sleep in your bed,
right?

Yuk! What a horrible thought!

The cats groom their coats with their tongues, right? You pet them,
right?
Do you know what else cats do with their tongues....? LOL!

Yes, and I always wash my hands after stroking them. I know that the stress
reduction in having and stroking pets is beneficial for health and that
being exposed to the bugs that pets carry is good for the immune system, but
a bit of basic hygiene makes me feel more relaxed.

I'm with Ringo on this one. Cats (or any other animals) and kitchens don't
mix.

BTW, I'm a farmer's son. I grew up with all sorts of animal muck, but that
was strictly outside. The cats & dogs were purely outdoor (and barn) animals
and perfectly healthy and content wth it. I let my cats indoors, but I don't
think I'd ever be comfortable with a dog indoors; which is why i don't have
one.

These views are entrirely personal and based on my own background and
experience, they're not intended to denigrate any other opinions.

Old December 16th 04, 08:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.misc.] On 2004-12-16, Zythophile
penned:

"Phil P." wrote in message

Do you have to let the cats in the kitchen when you're not there? I never
leave my cats unattended in the kitchen. In fact if they could come and go
from the house without going through the kitchen, they'd not be allowed in
the kichen at all. If I ever found one on the worktop, I think it'd take 20
litres of Dettol before i could even think of cooking in there.

A lot of houses have open floorplans. My kitchen has two entrances, neither
of which has a door. In fact, I don't remember ever being in a kitchen that
was completely sealed off from the rest of the house. Amazingly, knock on
wood, Oscar has exhibited zero interest in kitchen counters and the like.

Personally, I think you're overreacting - the cats sleep in your bed,
right?

Yuk! What a horrible thought!

Not to a lot of us. In fact, I'm happy when Oscar decides she wants to spend
some portion of the night with me. Hearing purrs as you drift off to sleep is
so relaxing ...

The cats groom their coats with their tongues, right? You pet them, right?
Do you know what else cats do with their tongues....? LOL!

Yes, and I always wash my hands after stroking them. I know that the stress
reduction in having and stroking pets is beneficial for health and that
being exposed to the bugs that pets carry is good for the immune system, but
a bit of basic hygiene makes me feel more relaxed.

I'm sure this is a good idea, but i just don't have that kind of discipline.
I do wash my hands before cooking anything, though.

BTW, I'm a farmer's son. I grew up with all sorts of animal muck, but that
was strictly outside. The cats & dogs were purely outdoor (and barn) animals
and perfectly healthy and content wth it. I let my cats indoors, but I don't
think I'd ever be comfortable with a dog indoors; which is why i don't have
one.

Did you shower before you entered the house?

Maybe it's just a lifestyle thing. While mountain biking, I get mud and bike
grease into cuts on my body. I might have to pee when I won't find running
water for hours. When skiing, I end up wearing snot-covered face masks, even
if they started the day clean. I figure I deal with so many nasty things that
a little bit of cat isn't going to make much of a difference.

These views are entrirely personal and based on my own background and
experience, they're not intended to denigrate any other opinions.

Me, too.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 16th 04, 11:18 PM
Phil P.

"Zythophile" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

snip

It will work only when you're around. All you'll be training your cats

do is to fear you. You'll also confuse them -because when you're not
around
jumping on the counter is ok.

Do you have to let the cats in the kitchen when you're not there?

If possession is 9/10 of the law - its more their house than mine.

I never
leave my cats unattended in the kitchen. In fact if they could come and go
from the house without going through the kitchen, they'd not be allowed in
the kichen at all. If I ever found one on the worktop, I think it'd take

20
litres of Dettol before i could even think of cooking in there.

Dettol is phenolic compound and toxic to cats. IIRC, Dettol is now labeled
as toxic to cats in the UK.

Personally, I think you're overreacting - the cats sleep in your bed,
right?

Yuk! What a horrible thought!

Then you should love this: At least 3 of my cats sleep in bed with me. One
of my cats dribbles when she purrs and kneads on my chest - sometimes I
sleep with my mouth open and her dribble lands right on my tongue or if its
a good shot - the back of my throat. I don't want to disturb her so I just
swallow it. Are you barffing! LOL!

The cats groom their coats with their tongues, right? You pet them,
right?
Do you know what else cats do with their tongues....? LOL!

Yes, and I always wash my hands after stroking them. I know that the

stress
reduction in having and stroking pets is beneficial for health and that
being exposed to the bugs that pets carry is good for the immune system,

but
a bit of basic hygiene makes me feel more relaxed.

Washing your hands after petting your cat is "a bit of basic hygiene"?
Sounds more like neurosis to me. ;- I wash my hands before I pet my
cats...

I'm with Ringo on this one. Cats (or any other animals) and kitchens don't
mix.

Knowing my cats go in the kitchen, I keep everything that is even remotely
dangerous to them inaccessable. I don't allow my cats on the counter when
I'm cooking or preparing food for *their* safety - not mine. When I was a
kid, I used to swim in Pelham Bay off City Island - you heard of Lake Huron,
this was "Lake Urine". I don't even get infections from cat bites - and
they're notorious for Pasteurella and Pasteurelloses.

BTW, I'm a farmer's son. I grew up with all sorts of animal muck,

I grew up in NYC. I wore a Yankee baseball cap so the pigeon **** wouldn't
land on my nose and run down onto my hot dogs anymore. Dodging pigeon ****
in NYC is like running through a hail storm.

but that
was strictly outside. The cats & dogs were purely outdoor (and barn)

animals
and perfectly healthy and content wth it. I let my cats indoors, but I

don't
think I'd ever be comfortable with a dog indoors; which is why i don't

have
one.

These views are entrirely personal and based on my own background and
experience, they're not intended to denigrate any other opinions.

Mine too. I was just kidding, even though it was all true.

Phil

Old December 17th 04, 09:36 AM
Zythophile

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

snip

A lot of houses have open floorplans. My kitchen has two entrances,
neither
of which has a door.

I didn't think of that. I've never lived in an open plan house, so it didn't
occur to me.

BTW, I'm a farmer's son. I grew up with all sorts of animal muck, but
that
was strictly outside. The cats & dogs were purely outdoor (and barn)
animals
and perfectly healthy and content wth it. I let my cats indoors, but I
don't
think I'd ever be comfortable with a dog indoors; which is why i don't
have
one.

Did you shower before you entered the house?

Not before entering the house, but first trip was to the bathroom. Mind you
i do remember my mother threatening to hose me down on more than one
occaision. Like most kids, I was a muck magnet.

Maybe it's just a lifestyle thing.

True. Those of us who choose to have cats know we have to make compromises
in our lifestyles to accommodate them. We all make the compromises that we
are comfortable with. I feel for the OP because he's having to make
compromises for someone else's cats. What greater love hath any man than to
put up with someone else's pets? Mmm.. I know the answer to that - putting
up with someone else's kids :-)