Trill is sick

Old April 16th 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Default Trill is sick

Adrian wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:
Early Sunday morning, Internet woke me up by scratching my face (he
usually does this if it's time for food, but not this time). Trill
came into the bedroom, and walked a few steps, peed, walked a few
steps, peed with blood. I have seen FLUTD and blockages too many
times. The last thing I wanted to do was to go back to that horrible
emergency vet hospital that I had taken Brando to. But I couldn't
find anywhere else, so I had no choice.

Luckily, he was not blocked, and they gave him antibiotics and pain
meds to help him relax and pee easier (and presumably get rid of the
crystals?). I caught it early enough that it is treatable (we think).

Then this evening I got a phone call from a Dr. Custer. I had no idea
who this was and was really confused for awhile. I had been expecting
Drs. Miley and Jenne to retire soon, and that day has come. Dr.
Custer bought out their practice. He scared the hell out of me,
though, by telling me that in older cats that have never had a
problem with urinary tract disorders, it often means there are
tumors. I'm sorry; I can't type that without crying.

I got no sleep. I had to take a cab both ways. Between the cab, the
vet bill, and getting the guys food and litter, I now have no money
for anything -- bills, rent, nothing.

Sometimes I just want to blow my brains out.

I do have a couple of possibilities of things in the works, but
nothing happening yet. And I still have to get Trill the c/d food; I
see no way to do this. Maybe if I slam my head against a wall, this
will all go away.
Dammit, dammit, dammit. I don't want to lose my Trilly baby, too.

Ginger-lyn
crying again

{{{{{{{{{{{{ Ginger-lyn }}}}}}}}}}}} Lots of purrs on the way for, Trill.
I'm sorry I'm not in a position to help again at the moment, hopefully I'll
be able to in a few weeks.

Thank you, Adrian. Believe me, the purrs help a lot, too.

Ginger-lyn
Old April 16th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Kreisleriana wrote:

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
[...]

Oh poor G-L, and poor Trilly. DO not slam you head. Don't forget to
take good care of yourself. We are purring with all our might here.
((((((((Ginger Lynn))))))))

Thank you, Kreisleriana. Trill seems to be doing much better with the
antibiotics and pain meds. I hope it continues.

Ginger-lyn
Old April 16th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Ginger-lyn
wrote:
[...]

Purrs and prayers for Trilly. I'm a little suspicious of Dr Custer and his
phone call. Don't panic, (I know, easier said than done) wait to see if
Trilly gets better first. The vet who saw Trilly didn't mention anything
about tumours and must have thought antibiotics and pain meds would help.

That's true; I hadn't thought about that.

Purrs and prayers for your financial situation to ease, too.

Thank you; I need it!

Judith

Old April 16th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Kyla =^..^= wrote:
bastXXXet
Judith Latham
Purrs and prayers for Trilly. I'm a little suspicious of Dr Custer and
his
phone call. Don't panic, (I know, easier said than done) wait to see if
Trilly gets better first. The vet who saw Trilly didn't mention anything
about tumours and must have thought antibiotics and pain meds would
help.

I'm glad that some other folks feel the same way I do. Ginger-lyn, I
would really wait to see if his current ailment gets better. Only if it
doesn't, would I think it's necessary to take him for another exam.

--
Joyce ^..^

.
I am inclined to agree with Judith and Joyce.
Mosey acts sick and gets the runs, not often, for no reason,
but he just has a funny tummy, and unless he gets really sick,
I don't worry.
I am little suspicious of this Dr.
There are agencies out there who can help you
with food and rent, and what-not..
((((((((Ginger-lyn)))))))))
Purrs and prayers for you and Trilly lovingly sent.
Everything will be okay.
Kyla

Thank you {{{{{{Kyla}}}}}}

I just found out the other day that there are also agencies that may
help with cat food and litter! As soon as I take a bankruptcy law
clinic tomorrow, I'm going to be calling them; that would be *wonderful*
if they could help with food!

Ginger-lyn
Old April 16th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Marina wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:
Dammit, dammit, dammit. I don't want to lose my Trilly baby, too.

Lots of purrs on the way.

Thank you, Marina -- they are much appreciated.

Ginger-lyn
Old April 16th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Mischief wrote:
Then this evening I got a phone call from a Dr. Custer. I had no idea
who this was and was really confused for awhile. I had been expecting
Drs. Miley and Jenne to retire soon, and that day has come. Dr. Custer
bought out their practice. He scared the hell out of me, though, by
telling me that in older cats that have never had a problem with urinary
tract disorders, it often means there are tumors. I'm sorry; I can't
type that without crying.

I'm so sorry to hear this. *HUG*

Tumors are a possibility, but honestly to say that older cats 'never'
have UTI is in my opinion bulls***.

But then again I do not have all the facts here and don't really know
what was said. I can see how UTI's could be 'less likely' in older
cats, but to jump straight to tumors is extremely premature in my
opinion.

I'm thinking I agree.

Try to c/d and antibiotics and then get a recheck urinalysis.
Hopefully that will clear it up. The next step would be to take an x-
ray.

Please try not to worry. I will ask around at work tomorrow and see
just how prevalent tumors can be in this case.

Oh, thank you, Kristi -- that would be great!

I am flat broke too. All my bills were due last week and I couldn't
pay any of them aside from one credit card payment. The rest is going
to gas and cat litter, and if i can, gooshy food.

HUGS and purrs

Kristi

Seems to be like a virus going around right now. Just about everyone I
know is broke or close to it. It's a sad, sad state our economy is in
(and the world's, too).

Ginger-lyn
Old April 18th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"Ginger-lyn"
Kyla =^..^= wrote:
bastXXXet
Judith Latham
[...]

Purrs that everything will work out for you. You have been in my thoughts
and prayers. If there is anything I can do to help, please e-mail me.
Like I said, everything will work out
{{{{{{Ginger-lyn}}}}}}}
Love
Kyla

Old April 18th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Apr 15, 7:20*pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
Mischief wrote:
[...]

Finally managed to pick the vet's brain today.

in terms of tumors vs UTIs, yes cats can have both. But then he asked
if any other lab work had been done, and I didn't have that
information.

But again, personally, I wouldn't immediately think tumor. If I were
a vet, I would treat the UTI, like all other UTI's. I'd culture the
urine to find out which antibiotic to use. After the antibiotics are
done, I'd redo a complete urinalysis and urine culture to see if all
the bacteria has been killed. If the antibiotics weren't working at
all, then depending on what the original urinalysis/urine culture was,
I'd suspect the cat had a secondary infection of some sort. Then I
would take an x-ray to see if I could get a better idea of what is
going on inside. And if that didn't tell me much and the cat was
still not improving after antibiotics, then I'd probably go to
ultrasound......

But then again I'm not a vet, so please don't take what I say as
gospel.

My point is, usually the vet wouldn't jump to tumor unless he had
tried treating the UTI with no success. One UTI you don't usually
assume a tumor. Now MULTIPLE UTI's, that's another story.

There are many steps, including treatments and diagnostic tests that
would need to be done before suspecting a tumor. And this is from my
experience in day practice. Everything I stated above is what I know
the vet would probably do. And even mentioning the word 'tumor' is
usually avoided because it scares the client and that's not good
customer service.

Everything comes down to...

1. Find out primary problem (diagnostics, ie labwork) and prescribe
treatment.
2. Wait for treatment to run its course, then recheck.
3. If step 2 is unsuccessful, run more diagnostics (ie labwork and x-
rays)to try to find out why.
4. Use the results from the diagnostics in Step 3 to try to prescribe
new treatment.
5. Wait for new treatment to run its course, then recheck.
6. If new treatment is still unsuccessful, go to specific diagnostics
(ie ultrasound, biopsy, etc) and go from there.

You get the idea.

My advice is to just treat the UTI and see what happens. Keep a close
eye on him and go from there. Worrying about what he may or may not
have will only stress you out and make you sick.

Take it one step at a time and hopefully things will work out.

Hugs and purrs to you,

Kristi

Old April 18th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Ginger-lyn wrote:
Early Sunday morning, Internet woke me up by scratching my face (he
usually does this if it's time for food, but not this time). Trill came
into the bedroom, and walked a few steps, peed, walked a few steps, peed
with blood. snip
Ginger-lyn
crying again

Lots and lots of purrs for Trill and hugs for you, Ginger-lyn,
Polonca and Soncek

Da trill is gone Lucy[_3_] Cat community 12 August 15th 08 05:21 AM
Trill is going to the vet Ginger-lyn Cat anecdotes 9 November 16th 07 10:13 PM
Trill gives me a scare Ginger-lyn Cat anecdotes 6 May 3rd 07 10:17 PM
Sick cat Patty Cat health & behaviour 7 November 11th 06 08:58 PM
my cat is sick - HELP! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 7 January 15th 06 02:16 AM