Vet Tech Journals: So Far, So Good.

Old April 17th 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Default Vet Tech Journals: So Far, So Good.

I'm writing this during my lunch break. Life here at VCG is going
well for me. I am catching on quickly and have earned the trust of my
coworkers. I still make minor mistakes, but considering I've only
been here two weeks, I think that's not bad.

Work has been light however. The thing with Radiation Therapy is that
we are a middle man group. By the time the pet comes to us, they have
already been through oncology, which is like the treatment room.

In my last clinic, the vet would bring back pets and tell us what to
do, like bloodwork, cleaning ears, vaccines, x-rays,. etc. In
oncology it's the same thing, but the dogs are getting bloodwork, x-
rays and Chemotherapy.

By the time I get them, they've already been through treatment, gotten
all the preliminary lab work done. I help with the treatment, which
is anywhere from 5 days of treatments to as many as 22 days. Then
they leave and I don't really see them again. Sure they'll come in
for a recheck in a few weeks, but rarely do they come my way again.

So unfortunately there's not a lot of closure and it's hard for me to
find out if the treatment i'm helping to give actually works.

It kinda reminds of working at the emergency clinic. You help out
with the imminent problem and then they go off to their regular vet
for follow-up care and you don't know what happens.

But i do feel statisfied that I'm trying to help the quality of life
in all these cancer patients. Most of them are dogs. But we do have
cats.

Ella is black and brown tortie and has oral melanoma. When she wakes
up, all she will scream about is for food. and after inhaling as much
wet food as I give her, she then proceeds to tell me how I'm dealing
with ROYALTY and should treat her accordingly. She's almost halfway
through her treatment now. After ever treatment I wrap her in a towel
and cuddle her until she wakes ups. Then put her in a recovery cage
with lots of towels and she will hiss at me.

For a 15 year old cat with cancer, she STILL has attitude.

that's all for now,

take care everyone and purrs for everyone who needs it.

Kristi
Old April 18th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Mischief wrote:
I'm writing this during my lunch break. Life here at VCG is going
well for me. I am catching on quickly and have earned the trust of my
coworkers. I still make minor mistakes, but considering I've only
been here two weeks, I think that's not bad.

Work has been light however. The thing with Radiation Therapy is that
we are a middle man group. By the time the pet comes to us, they have
already been through oncology, which is like the treatment room.

snip
Kristi

Lots of purrs for your patients, Kristi,
Polonca and Soncek
Old April 18th 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

So glad to hear from you, Kristi - glad you're settling into your new job.
They are lucky to have you.
Christine