How's Kenzie?

Old April 2nd 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Default How's Kenzie?

Hi Gandalf,
Wondering how Kenzie is doing now? Can you post an update?
Christine
Old April 3rd 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:52:10 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

Hi Gandalf,
Wondering how Kenzie is doing now? Can you post an update?
Christine

I started Kenzie on half the dose of Tapazole Ted prescribed, last Wed.

She seems to tolerate it just fine, but she continues to lose weight,
and is not eating as much as she was a week ago.

I got some kitten kibble for her, to try to increase her calorie intake.

I also bought a bunch of different canned food.

Kenzie turned up her nose at all but one: Fancy Feast ocean whitefish.

But she only at half of the small can.

Kenzie was always such a chow hound when I was limiting her food, to
keep her weight down.

Now, she can have all she wants, and she just nibbles at her food.

I listened to her heart, and it is going so fast, I really could't get
an accurate count; somewhere around 260. That's due to the
hyperthyroidism. Her metabolic rate is very high, of course.

I increased her Tapazole dose slightly on Wednesday. It's a very small
increase. I'm hoping a bunch of small increases will result in her
tolerating the Tapazole. But it will take several more weeks before I
get even close to her full dose of Tapazole.

Kenzie is acting quite normal, which is a small gift.

She looks so skinny, and seems to weigh almost nothing when I pick her
up.

I wish I could get her to eat more; I'm sure she is losing weight, every
day. At least she is eating and drinking, and doesn't act at all sick.
I'm grateful for that, of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old April 3rd 09, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

Are you giving her only very small amounts (maybe half a teaspoon) at a
time? Do you warm the food in the microwave? Both of those can sometimes
increase eating.

Joy

Old April 3rd 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

"Joy" wrote:

Are you giving her only very small amounts (maybe half a teaspoon) at a
time? Do you warm the food in the microwave? Both of those can sometimes
increase eating.

Another trick I picked up reading the Feline Assisted Feeding group on
Yahoo: Room Service. Depending on the reason for inappetance, some
cats will eat better if presented with food when waking up from a nap.
--

Wayne M.
Old April 5th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Thanks so much for the update; - will keep sending purrs your and Kenzie's
way to help her appetite and help stimulate her to eat - did you think of
possibly trying out baby food, the chicken and turkey, single ingredient
variety (with NO onion ingredients!)?
purrs and hugs,
Christine

Old April 7th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Gandalf wrote:
I started Kenzie on half the dose of Tapazole Ted prescribed, last Wed.

She seems to tolerate it just fine, but she continues to lose weight,
and is not eating as much as she was a week ago.

I got some kitten kibble for her, to try to increase her calorie intake.

snip

Lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek

Charleen, how's Four doing? [email protected] Cat anecdotes 6 February 7th 08 10:30 PM
How's Sammy? cindys Cat health & behaviour 1 July 31st 07 10:04 PM
How's Jean? Adrian Cat anecdotes 0 October 6th 05 08:25 PM
How's Jean? Adrian Cat anecdotes 2 August 27th 05 10:08 PM
How's Pam? JBHajos Cat anecdotes 36 April 24th 04 02:31 PM