Trill is sick

Old April 14th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Default Trill is sick

Early Sunday morning, Internet woke me up by scratching my face (he
usually does this if it's time for food, but not this time). Trill came
into the bedroom, and walked a few steps, peed, walked a few steps, peed
with blood. I have seen FLUTD and blockages too many times. The last
thing I wanted to do was to go back to that horrible emergency vet
hospital that I had taken Brando to. But I couldn't find anywhere else,
so I had no choice.

Luckily, he was not blocked, and they gave him antibiotics and pain meds
to help him relax and pee easier (and presumably get rid of the
crystals?). I caught it early enough that it is treatable (we think).

Then this evening I got a phone call from a Dr. Custer. I had no idea
who this was and was really confused for awhile. I had been expecting
Drs. Miley and Jenne to retire soon, and that day has come. Dr. Custer
bought out their practice. He scared the hell out of me, though, by
telling me that in older cats that have never had a problem with urinary
tract disorders, it often means there are tumors. I'm sorry; I can't
type that without crying.

I got no sleep. I had to take a cab both ways. Between the cab, the
vet bill, and getting the guys food and litter, I now have no money for
anything -- bills, rent, nothing.

Sometimes I just want to blow my brains out.

I do have a couple of possibilities of things in the works, but nothing
happening yet. And I still have to get Trill the c/d food; I see no way
to do this. Maybe if I slam my head against a wall, this will all go away.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. I don't want to lose my Trilly baby, too.

Ginger-lyn
crying again
Old April 14th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Ginger-lyn wrote:
Dammit, dammit, dammit. I don't want to lose my Trilly baby, too.

Lots of purrs on the way.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old April 14th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Then this evening I got a phone call from a Dr. Custer. *I had no idea
who this was and was really confused for awhile. *I had been expecting
Drs. Miley and Jenne to retire soon, and that day has come. *Dr. Custer
bought out their practice. *He scared the hell out of me, though, by
telling me that in older cats that have never had a problem with urinary
tract disorders, it often means there are tumors. *I'm sorry; I can't
type that without crying.

I'm so sorry to hear this. *HUG*

Tumors are a possibility, but honestly to say that older cats 'never'
have UTI is in my opinion bulls***.

But then again I do not have all the facts here and don't really know
what was said. I can see how UTI's could be 'less likely' in older
cats, but to jump straight to tumors is extremely premature in my
opinion.

Try to c/d and antibiotics and then get a recheck urinalysis.
Hopefully that will clear it up. The next step would be to take an x-
ray.

Please try not to worry. I will ask around at work tomorrow and see
just how prevalent tumors can be in this case.

I am flat broke too. All my bills were due last week and I couldn't
pay any of them aside from one credit card payment. The rest is going
to gas and cat litter, and if i can, gooshy food.

HUGS and purrs

Kristi
Old April 14th 09, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
[...]

Hugs and purrs for both of you.

Joy

Old April 14th 09, 09:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ginger-lyn wrote:

[...]

Ginger-lyn, do you know this Dr. Custer at all? Do you have any reason to
think that you can trust him? I have to say that if some vet I didn't know
called me almost out of the blue, to tell me that some statistic says that
my cat *might* have this or that, I would wonder what was motivating him.
Such as, does he want me to come in for costly tests, which might very
well reveal nothing?

I'm sorry if this sounds overly cynical, but after dealing with some
money-grubbing vets, I guess I am. It really angers me that someone
like that might try to take advantage of a person in your economic
situation. That would be unconscionable. I hope I'm wrong about that.
Although I guess I also hope I'm right, because that would mean you'd
probably have less to worry about concerning Trill's health.

If I were you, I would wait a bit before running off to get expensive
tests for him. If the antibiotics work, it's likely a mild infection,
which isn't serious (although I'm glad you got him checked out quickly,
since blockages are serious!). And I think it's good to give him c/d
food, although I know that's also a lot to ask, financially. But you
know that slogan "if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras"? It
means, go for the simple answer first. Only escalate the investigation
when the simple treatment isn't working. Male cats get urinary problems,
so this isn't really unusual. I'd say it's not quite time to panic.

I'd be curious how other people on the newsgroup heard this. What would
other people's reactions be? Does anyone besides me see a little red flag
about this phone call?

In any case, purrs that Trill's irritation clears up quickly. Licky sends
some special been-there-done-that purrs.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old April 14th 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Ginger-lyn wrote:
[...]

{{{{{{{{{{{{ Ginger-lyn }}}}}}}}}}}} Lots of purrs on the way for, Trill.
I'm sorry I'm not in a position to help again at the moment, hopefully I'll
be able to in a few weeks.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old April 14th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
[...]

Oh poor G-L, and poor Trilly. DO not slam you head. Don't forget to take
good care of yourself. We are purring with all our might here.
((((((((Ginger Lynn))))))))

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old April 14th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Judith Latham wrote:

Purrs and prayers for Trilly. I'm a little suspicious of Dr Custer and his
phone call. Don't panic, (I know, easier said than done) wait to see if
Trilly gets better first. The vet who saw Trilly didn't mention anything
about tumours and must have thought antibiotics and pain meds would help.

I'm glad that some other folks feel the same way I do. Ginger-lyn, I
would really wait to see if his current ailment gets better. Only if it
doesn't, would I think it's necessary to take him for another exam.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old April 15th 09, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

bastXXXet
Judith Latham
Purrs and prayers for Trilly. I'm a little suspicious of Dr Custer and
his
phone call. Don't panic, (I know, easier said than done) wait to see if
Trilly gets better first. The vet who saw Trilly didn't mention anything
about tumours and must have thought antibiotics and pain meds would
help.

I'm glad that some other folks feel the same way I do. Ginger-lyn, I
would really wait to see if his current ailment gets better. Only if it
doesn't, would I think it's necessary to take him for another exam.

--
Joyce ^..^

..
I am inclined to agree with Judith and Joyce.
Mosey acts sick and gets the runs, not often, for no reason,
but he just has a funny tummy, and unless he gets really sick,
I don't worry.
I am little suspicious of this Dr.
There are agencies out there who can help you
with food and rent, and what-not..
((((((((Ginger-lyn)))))))))
Purrs and prayers for you and Trilly lovingly sent.
Everything will be okay.
Kyla

Old April 16th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:

[...]

Thank you {{{{{{{Joyce}}}}}}}}} for a voice of sanity. I have calmed
down a bit now, and started thinking some of the same things you said.
So I am just watching him closely right now, giving him some Eukanuba
version of c/d and Purina One, and hoping for the best.

Ginger-lyn

Da trill is gone Lucy[_3_] Cat community 12 August 15th 08 05:21 AM
Trill is going to the vet Ginger-lyn Cat anecdotes 9 November 16th 07 10:13 PM
Trill gives me a scare Ginger-lyn Cat anecdotes 6 May 3rd 07 10:17 PM
Sick cat Patty Cat health & behaviour 7 November 11th 06 08:58 PM
my cat is sick - HELP! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 7 January 15th 06 02:16 AM